Bring back the old format web

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I have signed out and back in again. Still getting the same lack of icons on all three of my devices.
Not the end of the world I suppose but just annoying.
Thanks for your patience guys.
I am using many different forums and not having any trouble with any of them.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi TedG,

Can you tell me which devices (+ browsers) you are using?

Thanks
Russ.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems `Whats New` and `New posts` give me different lists,

is that right??

(PC - Firefox)
Going to New Posts first gave me three posts and I viewed two of them.

Then going to What's New gave me the same three posts, which New Posts wouldn't have done. It would have only showed me the one not read.

That's the only difference I've seen, What's New not taking into account those I've read.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I have to admit I am using this site a lot less than I used to since the new format began. I hope I will become used to it but only time will tell. Were there specific reasons for changing to the new format or did the admin think it was just time for a change? I have to say I always find change a bit difficult to cope with, especially if I cant see a good reason for that change.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006

Then going to What's New gave me the same three posts, which New Posts wouldn't have done. It would have only showed me the one not read.

That's the only difference I've seen, What's New not taking into account those I've read.
Hi Flecc,

I'm not sure why Xenforo has both What's New and New Posts. The former shows recent posts (read/unread) and the latter unread only.

There is also a Latest Activity tab : https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/latest-activity

Thanks,
Russ

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.

Yes, it`s better now that we have the `whats New` tab appearing in the thread you`re reading - back in one click,

or have we all become too lazy?

i well remember the days of our old Sobell TV when we had to make that tedious journey from the sofa to push a button to change channel -

can we really complain now? !!

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I have to admit I am using this site a lot less than I used to since the new format began. I hope I will become used to it but only time will tell. Were there specific reasons for changing to the new format or did the admin think it was just time for a change? I have to say I always find change a bit difficult to cope with, especially if I cant see a good reason for that change.
Agree - but I have no icon to confirm this.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
.....Were there specific reasons for changing to the new format or did the admin think it was just time for a change? I have to say I always find change a bit difficult to cope with, especially if I cant see a good reason for that change.
In a nutshell, to keep Google happy.

Thanks
Russ.

• Disagree
Reactions: POLLY

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Chrome.
Sony laptop.
Nexus 10 tablet.
PC built to NASA standard by my PC engineer son.
OK, so looking at the PC side of things. You are using Windows 10, latest version of Chrome?
Do you have any extensions installed, adblockers etc ?

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
OK, so looking at the PC side of things. You are using Windows 10, latest version of Chrome?
Do you have any extensions installed, adblockers etc ?
I have a lifetime of engineering but I'm not PC literate to any great degree.
I have mailed my son but he is currently teaching and will get back to me about this.
Fair to say he has limited tolerance for certain aspects of change.....
As I said this isn't life changing in this overly complex world, just a tad annoying.
Despite the intransigence of the buffoons in this septic island I am always hopeful of getting back on my bike so I keep an eye on this excellent forum even though my contributions are somewhat limited - and getting worse by the look of things. :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i well remember the days of our old Sobell TV when we had to make that tedious journey from the sofa to push a button to change channel -
Indeed, but with only between one and three channels to choose from in the early days it wasn't too stressful.

Just imagine a smart TV with 200 plus channels and no remote control. o_O

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Got to admit I'm not a great fan of the new format either. I always wonder why after consumers have become used to a particular format which works well, it suddenly becomes necessary to change it all. probably my biggest gripe, already voiced by others, is that the bold type used for the heading of new posts is simply not distinctive enough; if it can't be made 'more bold', can it be a different colour which reverts to black once read? After all, the bold reverts to normal once the post has been read?!

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and POLLY

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The following overcomes the aspects of the new design that are most illegible to me.
It makes the most important text (message headers and message bodies) black for better contrast, and highlights the unread items with a yellow background.

You can add it as bookmarklet or snippet. At the moment you need to run it explicitly for each new page. I'm trying to think of best way to package it better for non-technical users (any suggestions).

Of course, it would be better if the site designers fixed the css so that the site was more legible without tweaking. I guess the designers are quite a bit younger than the average user.

(function() {
var sheet = window.document.styleSheets[0];
sheet.insertRule('.message-body, .structItem-title a { color: black !important; }', sheet.cssRules.length);
sheet.insertRule('.is-unread .structItem-title { background-color: #ffff40; }', sheet.cssRules.length);
})()

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The following overcomes the aspects of the new design that are most illegible to me.
It makes the most important text (message headers and message bodies) black for better contrast, and highlights the unread items with a yellow background.

You can add it as bookmarklet or snippet. At the moment you need to run it explicitly for each new page. I'm trying to think of best way to package it better for non-technical users (any suggestions).

Of course, it would be better if the site designers fixed the css so that the site was more legible without tweaking. I guess the designers are quite a bit younger than the average user.

(function() {
var sheet = window.document.styleSheets[0];
sheet.insertRule('.message-body, .structItem-title a { color: black !important; }', sheet.cssRules.length);
sheet.insertRule('.is-unread .structItem-title { background-color: #ffff40; }', sheet.cssRules.length);
})()
I've added the Stylebot extension to Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylebot/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha/related?hl=en) and added the following to my Stylebot rules. Not ideal but works OK.

.is-unread .structItem-title {
background-color: #ffff40;
}

.message-body, .structItem-title a {
color: black ;
}

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I don't know if any of the designers are still considering (or ever did consider) this thread, or the best place to post issues. Anyway, another minor irritation of the new site for me is that 'jump to new' (whether called explicitly or implicitly) goes just a little too far, so I have to scroll up the page to see the start of the first new message. (Chrome 71.0.3578.98 Windows 10)

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
More nit picking:

In the list of posts it says "<username> replied x minutes ago" even when it is a first post.

There could be a php conditional statement which uses the post count (we have that on the right hand side) along the lines of if postcount = 0 username wrote else username replied

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Is the more restricted options on the smiley menu a PC "browser" choice issue; I have the full 13 with Chrome?