Broken chain.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Out on the Tourer today and the chain snapped 4 miles from home. Now, to me this wasn't a problem. However to the woman walking past, she thought I was in trouble. It's OK I said, I'll get home, it's only 4 miles. So, I picked up the chain and stuck it in my bag. The look on her face when I climbed on the bike and started turning the pedals was priceless. The look on her face when the bike started moving and carried me off was even better. :)
Luckily the road is flattish with only slight slopes which are about 5% gradient according to my VDO thingy. Once out of Linlithgow and onto the countryside part of the trip, I thought I'd better use the footpath and not cause problems on a busy fast road. I needn't have bothered. The Tourer spent most of the trip at about 14mph and only dropped to about 10mph on the slopes. Obviously on the down slopes it went faster. :)

The Tourer is over 7 years old and the chain is probably 4 years old. Time for a new one I think. New chain or new bike. HMMMM decisions decisions. ;)

This is the reason why I like hub motors with PAS sensors. :)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Or just throttles!
The only real problem was in starting off. Turning the pedals doesn't move the bike until the motor cuts in. A thumb throttle like the one on the Typhoon would have started the bike moving whilst allowing me to start turning the pedals. :)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc