Broken derailleur

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Hi all
Today I went for my normal bike ride - bike is about 6 months old and has done just over 1200 miles so far - lockdown has been great for rides!!

anyway - I got a few miles from home and was going slowly on a short path alongside a canal when the pedals went 'weird' and there was a bad clanking/scraping sound. I stopped.
WHen I looked the derailleur was snapped in 2 - there was one bit still attached to the cable but otherwise detached - the other half was bent to hell and back andjammed on the top of the crank motor - still attached to the chain. It looked like it had been dragged through the motor
The rear of the chain was jammed between first gear and the spokes - although the gears had previously been working fine in all gears

I was wondering - has anyone else had a problem with gear changers snapping.
I haven't heard of this happening before - and I have been cycling for decades and using ebikes for 11-12 years

Thanks

P.S. just lots of thanks to the guy who stopped and helped be break a link on the chain so I could unjam it and thread it out of the cogs!! - just in case he sees this!

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
It must have been out of adjustment for that to have happened. Go down the guarantee route or just replace, there not expensive.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I had something similar happen to me...

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
It must have been out of adjustment for that to have happened. Go down the guarantee route or just replace, there not expensive.
Yup - first stop tomorrow is the bike shop - well within guarantee
but I don;t think the adjustment was out - everything worked fine especially with the gears because I am fussy about that

Still - I will see what the shop/Raleigh say

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I had something similar happen to me...

Thanks - not just me then - and also powered by Bosch - wonder if that is relevant

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could of been the clutch spring that has snapped or more like the chain came of the bottom jockey wheel and jammed it against the cage and thus ripped it in half.

DSC_0091.JPG

that was my sram gx 12spd cage as chain was coming off just never jammed.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
The rear of the chain was jammed between first gear and the spokes - although the gears had previously been working fine in all gears
That usually happens when the limit screw wasn't adjusted correctly (or needed adjustment after some months use).

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi all
Today I went for my normal bike ride - bike is about 6 months old and has done just over 1200 miles so far - lockdown has been great for rides!!

anyway - I got a few miles from home and was going slowly on a short path alongside a canal when the pedals went 'weird' and there was a bad clanking/scraping sound. I stopped.
WHen I looked the derailleur was snapped in 2 - there was one bit still attached to the cable but otherwise detached - the other half was bent to hell and back andjammed on the top of the crank motor - still attached to the chain. It looked like it had been dragged through the motor

I was wondering - has anyone else had a problem with gear changers snapping.
I haven't heard of this happening before - and I have been cycling for decades and using ebikes for 11-12 years

Thanks

P.S. just lots of thanks to the guy who stopped and helped be break a link on the chain so I could unjam it and thread it out of the cogs!! - just in case he sees this!
Luckily for you, you are apparently uninjured. Such a happening could even throw you in front of a car or worse!!
Your luckiest day maybe?
Andy

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Luckily for you, you are apparently uninjured. Such a happening could even throw you in front of a car or worse!!
Your luckiest day maybe?
Andy
I was beside a canal - if I had fallen in the $deity only knows what is under the surface!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I was beside a canal - if I had fallen in the $deity only knows what is under the surface!
Safer!
My wife believes that swimming in the Rhine river as a small child, with all its pollutants then, allowed her to "develope" fully at a later age!!!!;);););)
Maybe.......
The Thames was also badly polluted at the time, with basically few living organisms for a great many years, from Victorian times I believe. Such things were pretty general in many countries.....
Regards
Andy