Brompton kit

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Am I right in thinking that there are 3 current off the shelf Brompton conversions available and that each has potential issues and that a reasonable summary from searching here is;

Freedom -issues with quality of wiring and batteries
Electric Wheel Company -issues with back up service responsiveness
Sparticle -issues with integration with fold

I've seen some of the inspiring DIY conversions here and am wondering if anyone has any experience of these kits;
ELFEi Umbausatz Vorderrad Bafang Umbausatz fr Pedelec. Jetzt im Online Shop kaufen

Or even better if there's a UK supplier of similar kits with neat weatherproof connectors and robust wiring?

I'm only interested in legal kits and kits which don't involve me soldering or adding connectors together as I've gone that route on a past project and it worked 'some' of the time, which wasn't good enough.

I know the Bafang motor needs more work on the forks than the Tongxin but whilst I have positive experience of riding a couple of tongxin motored bikes the variable availability of spares / replacements puts me off.

Any ideas, apart from wait for the official Brompton offering or holding out that the forthcoming Cytronex kits might include a Brompton version, would be appreciated.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Andy not come across that one before. It seems to me you have pretty much worked out the pros and cons of all the kits. The kits are expensive, but I guess that is the price you pay for plug and play. If I was not a DIY enthusiasts and buying a kit, I would almost definately go down the UK route in terms of backup support and easy warranty returns.

It certainly will be interesting to see what Cytronex's kit looks like, though I doubt they will be for Brompton's and more tailored to regular full sized bikes.

Also the rumour mill says Brompton will be announcing their Electric model in September with possible availability Jan 2012. Their's should certainly have comprehensive backup and support.

Regards

Jerry