Brompton Nano Kit - 1 year on

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Short post to say at 1 year on kit and working perfectly on my 2 speed brompton.

No issues at all so far. Not the fastest bit of kit around but its "solid"

My only wish is for a smaller battery - maybe 5 ahr. the 10ahr is a beast

mj8765

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2009
Brompton Nano

Hi tex

Thanks for posting your experience with the Brompton Nano - glad it is all going well.

We now have a 4Ahr battery which is small enough to fit in the rear pocket of the Brompton bag and only weighs 1.5Kg, we are out of stock at the moment but are expecting some in in a couple of weeks - get in touch if you are interested.

Martin
The Electric Wheel Company
www.electricwhel.co.uk

OTH

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2010
Good morning, Tex.

Is the back hub motor the BionX? If so, how does it compare to the Nano? (And what power is it?)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Is the back hub motor the BionX? If so, how does it compare to the Nano? (And what power is it?)
The Nano/Tongxin Brompton ebike kit is based on a front hub fitting. I have not tried the BionX, but have read accounts about fitting rear motors in Bromptons. It seems that you then get problems with the fold specifically the rear swinging triangle mechanism and associated trailing wires up to the controller and thumb throttle/brakes.

From recollection I think the Tongxin motor is 180-200watts. Not a power machine, but great for assisted pedalling, light and almost silent.

Tex, glad the EWC conversion has worked out for you. If you are willing to turn your hand to a little DIY I am sure you have probably seen it, but this thread shows how to build a small 2.3Ah pack.

As you would probably need two and require a new balancer/charger, EWC's smaller battery may well be the better overall solution with the same connectors and charger as you currently use.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Just a note. Cellman on ES is making up packs with a BMS and charger from A123 cells. A 12S1P for 36v2.3AHr or 12s2P for 36v4.6AHr might be good options for a small battery on the Nano.
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Geared Ebike Kit, DD Kit - 150USD

Somebody enterprising in the UK (like the Electric Wheel company) could offer something similar if they could source the cells, BMS and charger. Go on, you know it makes sense! There's a small but ready market for enthusiasts who want LiFePo, High C, with a built in BMS so you don't have to mess around with RC chargers and external Balancers.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
jbond,

Thats an interesting link thanks.

I think the margins would not make it worth while setting up a facility to produce these. Once commercial then there would be the hassle of ensuring the product was certified for safety and a warranty/guarantee would have to be provided.

Re the pack you linked to, I agree it may be simpler but apart from balancing the packs when I first made mine, I have not had to rebalance them in over 150 cycles. That said, I guess I am not pulling huge amounts of current from them (about 15amps peak) which may be the case with users of more powerfull motors.

Regard

Jerry

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Good morning, Tex.

The torque even with the 200 watt limit (on a 350 watt system) is orders of magnitude higher.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Tex, out of curiosity how many miles have you put on your Nano conversion ?

Ps just noticed I misread the post about the BionX post :eek:

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I've been working on a self-build folding electric bike and since my aim was for light-weight and battery portability, I opted for a 5Ahr (36v) battery, which weighs just 1.8kg. I think it makes much more sense on folders where you don't necessarily need a great range of amount of power. I haven't tested the range yet, but I'm guessing it should do 10 miles with assistance.

Since the cost of the battery was much cheaper (imported from China) than buying a big 10Ahr I purchased two batteries. Good to have a spare one ready charged up..also feasible to carry in back pack giving double the range, should need to go further.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Tex, glad the EWC conversion has worked out for you. If you are willing to turn your hand to a little DIY I am sure you have probably seen it, but this thread shows how to build a small 2.3Ah pack.

As you would probably need two and require a new balancer/charger, EWC's smaller battery may well be the better overall solution with the same connectors and charger as you currently use.

Regards

Jerry[/QUOTE]

PS. - Jerry thanks for the tips and link. i'm going to give this a go when i get a bit of time.