Brooks saddles

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Probably not helpful to you, but I cannot understand why anyone would opt for, never mind pay the silly price for a leather saddle in this day and age.

It'll take you about two years to "wear it in" before it is even remotely comfortable and then it'll only take one unexpected downpour when you've forgotten to cover it and you'll be back to square one or worse.

Not to mention the need to polish the darn things every month or so and then suffer the stains on your arse for the following week.

Many things were better in the "good ol'days"; but saddles isn't one of them.
Must be different Brooks I'm using ? Stuck one on my Quick-e two days after I got it. Took about a week to get used to, and I've now done over 1000mls, comfortable, no chafing, and if it does get wet, I certainty haven't encountered any problems, quite the reverse in fact. In days gone by when I bought new proper leather work boots one of the tricks to break them in was to give them a soaking with your feet in them and wear them so as they dried out they moulded to the shape of your feet. Plus, a Brooks will take a lot more abuse if its scraped down a wall etc, like my two week old San Marco suffered. Tore through the thin synthetic outer and tore the padding, scrap. Leather can be burnished and scufs (if you're fussy)/dressed out. The only thing I detest about a Brooks saddle is the " Brooks creak" which can just about be eliminated by applying some loctite to the seat rails on fitting, and some white grease to the adjuster cups at the front.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Velo saddles have been very comfortable on my last two bikes, and the 9 LED strip light on the back is a safety bonus with either sequenced flashing or continuous modes:

D

Deleted member 4366

Saddles are like ebikes: some suit everybody and some are better for some guys than others. This is especially true when it comes to your weight. When you don't weigh much, just about any type of saddle is comfortable, but if you're a lard-arse, you need one that spreads the load like the Brooks.

When I was 105kg, I tried many different saddles, including the Big Bum Comfort Saddle, but all of them became sore after an hour or so. The Brooks B67 was the only one that I could last 4 hours on.

As you all know, I try to be pragmatic in all my choices. I would never buy anything with a designer label on it. I don't see a Brooks saddle as a fashion accessory. They're one of most durable and functional saddles you can get. Only the weight lets them down.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is especially true when it comes to your weight. When you don't weigh much, just about any type of saddle is comfortable, but if you're a lard-arse, you need one that spreads the load like the Brooks.
I guess that boils down to, everyone needs the same padding.

It can be in the saddle or the backside.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My preferred choice of saddle is the Ragley Tracker, and Maddison market a couple of nice ones as well.

Many cycle shops now offer a saddle fitting service, which is actually very worthwhile. One close to me, also does a try before you buy service as part of the same fitting, which is an even better way of getting the correct choice.

Perhaps explore the above, before parting with any money.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Must be different Brooks I'm using ? Stuck one on my Quick-e two days after I got it. Took about a week to get used to, and I've now done over 1000mls, comfortable, no chafing, and if it does get wet, I certainty haven't encountered any problems, quite the reverse in fact. In days gone by when I bought new proper leather work boots one of the tricks to break them in was to give them a soaking with your feet in them and wear them so as they dried out they moulded to the shape of your feet. Plus, a Brooks will take a lot more abuse if its scraped down a wall etc, like my two week old San Marco suffered. Tore through the thin synthetic outer and tore the padding, scrap. Leather can be burnished and scufs (if you're fussy)/dressed out. The only thing I detest about a Brooks saddle is the " Brooks creak" which can just about be eliminated by applying some loctite to the seat rails on fitting, and some white grease to the adjuster cups at the front.
Hi again Shan, big birthday yesterday for me and received a Brooks B67 in black, from extended family. Looks great on the Haibike, yet to try it but have given it it's first dose of Proofide. Have had numerous Brooks over the years preferring the wider ones. Have had titanium Swift, a Swallow, various B17,s, etc. The best though has been a B67 in a honey colour, which I gave to a mate cus the colour suits his bike better than mine. So the new black B67 ime hoping will be just as comfortable. Have a B17 on my Mercian and a Brooks Flyer on the old Claud Butler. Some of the more narrow Brooks I've found to be pretty uncomfortable, but the wider ones are great. As for the cost, I think they're really good value for money, especially when received as a present! Would like a tour around the factory sometime in future, will see if can arrange it.

Reactions: Gaz and SHAN