Brooks saddles

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Looking to treat myself to a comfortable seat/saddle for my Cube Reaction eMTB that I use for commuting. Can anyone recommend a nice comfortable one please?

Ive read great things about the Brooks B67, are they as comfortable as they claim? Are they for the more upright riding position?

http://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/b67-3.html

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant put that on it it is against the law! :eek:

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
Probably not helpful to you, but I cannot understand why anyone would opt for, never mind pay the silly price for a leather saddle in this day and age.

It'll take you about two years to "wear it in" before it is even remotely comfortable and then it'll only take one unexpected downpour when you've forgotten to cover it and you'll be back to square one or worse.

Not to mention the need to polish the darn things every month or so and then suffer the stains on your arse for the following week.

Many things were better in the "good ol'days"; but saddles isn't one of them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0714_02.JPG

bbqforce10

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2017
devon
I've got a Brooks B17 on my touring bike and I think its great.
It took a few weeks to break in.
I find it very comfortable.
I've only had to treat it once.

They hold their money very well. Always easy to sell on ebay if you decide to change.

Each to their own...

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
Ok, so any recommendations for a comfortable saddle?
I very recently brought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G4QUBW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which after about 200 miles I am very pleasantly surprised by for the low cost.

Where my original saddle, even with the addition of a silicon padded cover had me needing to get off and walk/rest after an hour or so; yesterday I did 3 hours straight and whilst my leg muscles were shot, my butt was fine.

It's waterproof, non-slippy, soft and very comfortable and seems very well made. The only perhaps downside is that it tends to bounce a little over series a of ruts, but not so much as to be destabilising.

I cannot say how it will hold up in the long term; and it probably wouldn't suit the "seroius cyclist"; but so far, I'm pleased with my choice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Myself among a few other forumites can contest that the Lidl medicus gel saddles at about 7 or8 quid are comfy. They haven't had any bike bits for a while but usually once or twice a year they appear.

• Agree
Reactions: Tabs and Gringo

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Probably not helpful to you, but I cannot understand why anyone would opt for, never mind pay the silly price for a leather saddle in this day and age.

It'll take you about two years to "wear it in" before it is even remotely comfortable and then it'll only take one unexpected downpour when you've forgotten to cover it and you'll be back to square one or worse.

Not to mention the need to polish the darn things every month or so and then suffer the stains on your arse for the following week.

Many things were better in the "good ol'days"; but saddles isn't one of them.
Your so wrong! Granted ,sometimes they do need to 'wear in', but if it's a regular commute that won't take long with UK weather. It depends on the posterior.
As for maintenance, all that's required is occasionally oiled with saddle soap or nests foot oil, a cover will stop stains.

The occasional soaking from rain won't harm it, indeed it will soften it, but too much rain will eventually rot it , so a bag over it if is left outside.
This may seem a lot of bother ,but it is not, once broken in , it will give more than a lifetime comfort.

You can even buy them presoftned, take no need of some prejudice, A Brooks is one of the best.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz and Denis99

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
Your so wrong! Granted ,sometimes they do need to 'wear in', but if it's a regular commute that won't take long with UK weather. It depends on the posterior.
As for maintenance, all that's required is occasionally oiled with saddle soap or nests foot oil, a cover will stop stains.

The occasional soaking from rain won't harm it, indeed it will soften it, but too much rain will eventually rot it , so a bag over it if is left outside.
This may seem a lot of bother ,but it is not, once broken in , it will give more than a lifetime comfort.

You can even buy them presoftned, take no need of some prejudice, A Brooks is one of the best.
So, I buy a premium product to protect my delicate butt, but then have to use my delicate butt to soften it.

Rain would soften it for me, but would also rot it.

And to prevent it rotting, I have to oil it, but then I need to cover it; with something oil proof so it doesn't stain my trousers, but not too slippery else I'll fall off, but also stiff enough so that it won't wrinkly under me and cause pressure sores, and all the while covering the leather that is primary selling point and reason for the over-inflated price.

And it'll "last me a life-life". Hm. I have less than half a life time of riding left in me, and I'm quite sure my £9 sturdily constructed plastic one will more than last me out. And it was comfortable from the get-go.

And I thought the whole justifiction for selling them without pre-softening them, was so that they would mold to the owners butt. (Of course if you, like most people don't always sit in exactly the same position it makes a fallacy of that idea; but I guess it allows them to charge more for the pre-softening.)

A fashion statement; pseudo-antique bling.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Folks who have bought Brooks saddles will always fall into 2 camps ,love 'em or Loath ' em. Us devotees outnumber the loathers by far, it is a premium British product and they do last for years.

The interface twixt bike and butt,will always be a sore point with cyclist.

It seems NJS ,that you fall into the Marmite camp!

Reactions: Denis99

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
I have a Brooks saddle and think its great. Wearing them in does not take long. Go for it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
:rolleyes: this is my most comfortable seat

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Folks who have bought Brooks saddles will always fall into 2 camps ,love 'em or Loath ' em.
I fall in the middle. I had a B17, my first and last Brooks. While it was comfy enough, it did not offer anything over a modern, synthetic material saddle. The Brooks required some maintenance and would sag when wet. Not really suitable for year round commuting or mountain biking.

I now have WTB Pure V on all my bikes. For me it's as comfortable as B17 and requires no maintenance. And you can get them cheap. Or expensive. Depends of the model.

To me Brooks is more style over substance, perfect for sunny Sunday cruises.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and NJS