Brooks saddles

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, love my Brooks Swift Ti saddle, gave it an overdose of Brooks Proofhide at the start back in 2004, and it soon formed itself to my derrière!
Check out Gilles Berthoud version of the Brooks saddles.
The Gilles Berthoud variants are better engineered imho.

Reactions: Denis99
D

Deleted member 4366

I have a B67 on my bike. It was a bit hard at first, but after 5000 miles it's become very comfy. I've never done any maintenance to it and I've often left it out in the rain.

Don't buy a new one. you can get used ones on Ebay - the older, the better.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooks-B67-Tan-Leather-Cycle-Saddle-Stem-Fixing-Cork-Handle-Bar-Grips/202118871572?hash=item2f0f393a14:g:dBwAAOSwsYpaEZ3T

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooks-B67-Bike-Saddle-Great-Condition-Slight-Wear/282735452656?hash=item41d458a1f0:g:PTIAAOSwnCFaDKmt

• Agree
Reactions: D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I have a B67 on my bike. It was a bit hard at first, but after 5000 miles it's become very comfy. I've never done any maintenance to it and I've often left it out in the rain.

Don't buy a new one. you can get used ones on Ebay - the older, the better.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooks-B67-Tan-Leather-Cycle-Saddle-Stem-Fixing-Cork-Handle-Bar-Grips/202118871572?hash=item2f0f393a14:g:dBwAAOSwsYpaEZ3T

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooks-B67-Bike-Saddle-Great-Condition-Slight-Wear/282735452656?hash=item41d458a1f0:g:PTIAAOSwnCFaDKmt
Agreed, just watch out for the distorted ones off bikes that have spent years leaning against a wall.
There's quite a few like that.
Dave

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Myself among a few other forumites can contest that the Lidl medicus gel saddles at about 7 or8 quid are comfy. They haven't had any bike bits for a while but usually once or twice a year they appear.
Second that. Got them on all three of my bikes ... and a new spare !!

Find the middle width one by far the best. Think it's called trekking.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo
D

Deleted member 4366

Now I wonder just why are so many people selling their Brooks saddles?
Because they sell their bikes and they won't get anything extra for it with the Brooks saddle on, so they put back the original saddle. You get around £50 for a used Brooks saddle.

I wanted to kill my mate when he sold his bike with the comfiest B17 saddle you've ever seen. It was very old and very well run-in. That seat was priceless. You could never find another one like it.

20150723_1949331_zpscobuiwbb.JPG

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Rather put a B 66 on your bike ,more in keeping in style, plus less bouncing about,so won't absorb to much of your efforts.

But if you want springs with your bling ,go for it, your unlikely to regret it, and like D8veh says ,if you sell on , likely to make most of it back.
Try doing that with your plastic fantastic!

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
:rolleyes: this is my most comfortable seat
What
I fall in the middle. I had a B17, my first and last Brooks. While it was comfy enough, it did not offer anything over a modern, synthetic material saddle. The Brooks required some maintenance and would sag when wet. Not really suitable for year round commuting or mountain biking.

I now have WTB Pure V on all my bikes. For me it's as comfortable as B17 and requires no maintenance. And you can get them cheap. Or expensive. Depends of the model.

To me Brooks is more style over substance, perfect for sunny Sunday cruises.
What trike is that
Which trike is that Kiwi? Not a Greenspeed is it? Buying an Ocker bike ,why would you?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nope it is an Azub. Azub were agents for Greenspeed apparently... :cool:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Because they sell their bikes and they won't get anything extra for it with the Brooks saddle on, so they put back the original saddle. You get around £50 for a used Brooks saddle.

Plausible, but not persuasive.
There are dozens of saddles for sale on ebay,
Does this mean that there are dozens of cyclists keen enough to buy a Brooks, change it for their existing saddle and now want a new bike?
So, do they sell the bike with its old saddle and then sell the Brooks separately?

What about their new bike?
Why not put the Brooks on their new bike if it is so comfortable?
The only other explanation is that they also want a new Brooks saddle and don't mind a bout of 'Anus Horribilis'

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Plausible, but not persuasive.
There are dozens of saddles for sale on ebay,
Does this mean that there are dozens of cyclists keen enough to buy a Brooks, change it for their existing saddle and now want a new bike?
So, do they sell the bike with its old saddle and then sell the Brooks separately?

What about their new bike?
Why not put the Brooks on their new bike if it is so comfortable?
The only other explanation is that they also want a new Brooks saddle and don't mind a bout of 'Anus Horribilis'

• :D
Reactions: falmouthtony

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I wanted to kill my mate when he sold his bike with the comfiest B17 saddle you've ever seen. It was very old and very well run-in. That seat was priceless. You could never find another one like it.
I have three Brooks B17 saddles. One is very old and very well worn :cool::cool:

For the nay sayers who say they simply don't understand, I'd like to offer the polarised view that I don't understand why you wouldn't. I had my first one 40 years ago and never looked after it. It was great. The three I have now I'm more prissy about and they get a six monthly rub a dub dub with proofide. I use a freebie shower cap from the Nita Lake Lodge, in Whistler, Canada, as a cover for if I have to leave it out in the rain. That's only coz my bum likes a dry saddle :oops:

Gaz

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
I don't understand why you wouldn't
Because I can see no benefits to spending that kind of money on that kind of saddle.

My £9 plastic fantastic, took me less than two minutes to fit and adjust.
  1. It was comfortable straight away.
  2. It requires no maintenance.
  3. If it gets rained on, I wipe the drips off with my hand and its dry.
  4. It won't rot.
  5. It won't sag if it gets wet.
  6. It won't distort if it get lent against a wall.
  7. It has perineum relief.
  8. I like to sit on my saddle, not wear it internally.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
For the nay sayers who say they simply don't understand
What's to not to understand, I brought a brooks, didn't like it and go shot. I brought a lidls saddle liked it and brought another, simples.

I'm pleased for those that get on with and enjoy there brooks saddles but I'd rather buy 10 lidl saddles for the same money

• Agree
Reactions: flecc, Gaz and NJS

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
My £9 plastic fantastic, took me less than two minutes to fit and adjust.
My £30 Brooksie took me 1 min 7 secs to fit.
  1. It was comfortable straight away. Mine was comfy before I got it.
  2. It requires no maintenance. I like to maintain things.
  3. If it gets rained on, I wipe the drips off with my hand and its dry. If mine gets rained on, I take its shower cap off.
  4. It won't rot. And that's a good thing considering what David Attenborough and Chris Packham are saying about the amount of plastic in the food chain? Mine is a fully biodegradable by-product with excellent environmental credentials.
  5. It won't sag if it gets wet. Mine neither.
  6. It won't distort if it get lent against a wall. Mine neither, although it does depend on the wall; Anyone leaning a Brooks against coarse brickwork should have it confiscated (IMO).
  7. It has perineum relief. My perineum likes my saddle.
  8. I like to sit on my saddle, not wear it internally. I love sitting on my saddle and have no intention of fitting it internally. I'm the real slim shady!

Wasn't looking for an explanation, just observing perspective. We've all got different botty's. Horses for courses :)

Gaz

Reactions: D C
D

Deleted member 4366

I think it's more likely that an alien would land and squish your plastic saddle whilst trying to make love to it than a Brooks would get distorted leaning against a wall.

gwing3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
I was very happy with my B17, transferred it from bike to bike over the years, and if I ever get another road bike I'll get a B17 to put on it the same day I buy the bike.

However that's very unlikely as I can't see me going back to road bikes, and on the mtb I prefer a modern gel saddle, not the torture device that came originally fitted though :mad:

ElectricPics

Just Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
Probably not helpful to you, but I cannot understand why anyone would opt for, never mind pay the silly price for a leather saddle in this day and age.

It'll take you about two years to "wear it in" before it is even remotely comfortable and then it'll only take one unexpected downpour when you've forgotten to cover it and you'll be back to square one or worse.

Not to mention the need to polish the darn things every month or so and then suffer the stains on your arse for the following week.

Many things were better in the "good ol'days"; but saddles isn't one of them.
Having used Brooks saddles for many years I can only assume you've never owned one, basing your opinions of the folklore that surrounds them. Forget all that: It takes a few days to wear one in, polishing them is a waste of time and getting them wet makes not one bit of difference. My current saddle is ten years old and been polished twice. If you want a bit of comfort, the good old days are the future and the initial expense is great value for money.

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
I can only assume you've never owned one, basing your opinions of the folklore that surrounds them.
You assume wrongly. It's exactly because I was charged with breaking in and maintaining the replacement for the one on my father's bike that I ruined -- by leaning the saddle against a drain pipe and forgetting to cover it; it rained -- that I know how fragile they are, and what an ongoing pain in the butt -- literally and figuratively -- they are; that makes me not understand why anyone would pay silly money for what is essentially a fashion statement.

I think those that have spent their silly money on the silly accessory have to claim they are something special, because its the only way to justify their choice.

Like those women that claim that Jimmy Chou's are the only 11" high heel that you can stand in for 18hrs or run a 1/2 marathon in, to justify their expense.

Reactions: flecc