Bulls electric bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant get a 250w motor and a 350w motor as there the same thing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all the motors can take at least double what they say not just bosch ;)

Yes, but with Bosch it is an identical motor, its just the fact that by removing the speed limit you automatically give it the higher nominal power output.

The power they are capable of is a different number to the nominal power.

Other brands might use different motors for their sPedelecs..... It could well be the same, but I think you might have just got a small bit of information and be running with it like its a fact.

I mean it might be that Brose have the same motor, but I suspect you're just guessing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it would not be cost effective to make 2 motors 1 250w and 1 350w for the different bikes so its done buy software at the manufactures.

its why if you have a sclass motor you have to send it back and get a replacement from bosch as you cant change the motor settings with what you have on a 250w motor.

some say that a bosch could take as much as 700w but untill it gets the software hacked we will never know.

even the bms can bus data and is password protected thus why no batts from china as cant get past it atm.

i also bet the only difference to a 250w and a 350w is the speed limit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Apr 19, 2011
http://justebikes.co.uk/products/bulls-e-stream-evo-45-speed/

"As with all Speed pedelecs this high speed e-bikes you need to hold a driving license, have insurance and register the e-bike with the DVLA to use it on public highways."

Just to confirm will this also need a registration plate etc. even if ridden on green lanes / bridleways?
Hi Wicky you do need to register any and all speed e-bikes to avoid risk of loosing your shirt post 'incident' but there's no requirement to display a number plate (in fact you won't be issued a number to display when you register it).

You might think that this is more meddling from our dear leaders ... after many years (10!) promoting e-bikes as a viable alterative to motor cars I'm just happy that UK Govs of all colours have (to date) not required us to register all forms of pedelecs. Did you see the news that China has banned e-bikes? ...imagine if big auto and oil had that much influence here. Chinese men and women bought c.39 million e-bikes last year - car makers and fossil fuel sellers the world over don't like e-bikes.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2011
I like the look of the Brose system. However I don't have any local dealers and am put off by lack of information compared to Yamaha and Bosch.

If buying on-line what happens if I have a fault or problem with the electrics my local shop can't fix? Also will it be a problem to buy a replacement battery in x years time?

Bulls E-Stream evo 3 FS 27.5 looks perfect for me. Anyone know what the controls / display are like on the Bulls Brose bikes?
Hi Jon, BULLS EVO models use the small LCD toggle switch mounted in easy reach of your left thumb, beneath the same thumb is a small yet clear gold coloured screen giving all info needed. It's a clever design, following the less is more principal. Last year's BROSE display was center handlebar mounted but like all things located there they suffered during a tumble (2 of my 3 recent spills at Cannock Chase knocked the display off). Dispite it's micro size the BULLS display includes a USB charge point for sat nav or phone charging.

I'm sorry you've not found the info you need on BULLS and BROSE systems; be asured there are many good reasons we've taken on these manufacturers (design, engineering, performance value for money to name a few) Email or phone if you have time, if you don't I'm happy to tell all here but wary of 'promoting' products on this forum.
Rgds James at justebikes.co.uk

Apr 19, 2011
Wicky.....there are no grey areas,if the bike has more than a 250 watt motor and/or speed cutoff above 15,5 mph then it's a motorbike...the dealer in this case has stated that the bike 'just needs registering'....the problem is there is NO WAY OF REGISTERING AN S-CLASS BIKE IN THE UK.
If you buy such a bike you can only use it on your own private land,making sure their are no bridle ways or mapped footpaths across it,or...
You use it wherever you like and take the risk that you will never be stopped for using an unregistered,uninsured,failure to display number plate,driving licence and so on illegal bike.
I think anyone who buys an S-class to use openly in the UK just takes the risk and thinks it unlikely he will be stopped,the biggest danger is being involved in an accident with injury involved,then the bike will be analysed very carefully....the dealer will say 'YOU WERE TOLD TO GET IT REGISTERED,YOUR PROBLEM'
You wouldn't drive your car off the drive without registration,insurance,tax,number plates,driving licence,nobody would do that,but the offence seems minimised just because it is a bicycle.
I just don't understand the appeal of S-class e-bikes.....they are very expensive,at that price level you can buy a very powerful motorbike which can be legally and easily registered. Also the latest legal e-bikes are not that less powerful or fast than these S-class bikes.
KudosDave
Hi Dave max speed is not 15.5mph, it's 17.3 (25kmh + 10% margin, which all mnfs I know take advantage of), and last year VOSA confirmed that unlike rest of EU speed pedelcs don't need number plates in the UK.
That said I agree with you, to my mind speed pedelecs really arnt worth the extra bother.
James

Apr 19, 2011
you cant get a 250w motor and a 350w motor as there the same thing.
Hi Soundwave, the best way to evaluate and compare motor power is to look at their torque figures because motor efficiency varies so much between one make and another. Most makers publish this data, usually in Newton Metres (Nm). 5Nm is equivalent to the turning force at one end of a 1m broom handle while a 1lb bag of sugar is hanging from the other end ...it's a lot!
BULLS and Rotwild BROSE motors give 90Nm, Bosch varies depending on model between 40 and 60 (last time I looked), Yamaha is 75 I think, and SPARTA produce a 25Nm, a 30Nm, a 40Nm, a 50Nm and an 80Nm motor (man those Dutch are fussy!) Sparta's 40 and 50Nm models also provide regenerative braking thereby increasing range and saving your brake blocks.
For all but mountain biking I recon 40Nm is plenty.
James

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not on about torque about how much power these motors could take wattage wise and not blow up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just cant believe no one has hacked the system yet bosch as even the bms is password protected so no re celling that :(

a 1000w bafang motor can go 70mph if you dump 3000w in to it batt a tad big tho atm

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

he wants 60a going in to it ;)

Apr 19, 2011
That looks like a lot of fun and love the tech but I'm a flipflops and shorts e-biker so happy at 17mph. I took a BULLS evo 3 to Cannock Chase; way way way more fun and excitement than an F40 round Silverstone, and averaged only 11mph over the day (6 hrs before back to base with near flat bat).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can drain my 400w batt in less than a hour speed kills lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
until i get a 500w batt can fly for 30+ miles then ;)