Buying doesn't seem all that easy

Hobbehod

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2015
I have 3 bikes on my shortlist for my first electric bike:

1. Volt Pulse (possibly X)
2. Woosh Big Bear
3. Ezee Torq

I am arranging a test ride of the Volt at a reasonably accessible shop but I really don't think it's practicable to drive to Milton Keynes and Cambridge from South Yorkshire to see the other two. There's a big price difference between these bikes which provides another complication. Should I go for one of the cheaper ones unseen or are they likely to be so much less refined than the more expensive Volt? Any buying advice is welcome.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 250 watt rating is nominal on these, the standard Volt Pulse uses a lower power motor than the eZee Torq, Big Bear and Volt Pulse X. The last two use the BPM motor and the eZee their own motor which is similar in power to the BPM.

The eZee uses some better quality components which helps account for a slightly higher price than the Big Bear, so both are good value and perform similarly. Against them the Volt bikes are somewhat high priced, the best match to the other two of the Pulse X being very much more expensive.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you're in South Yorkshire, go and see South Yorkshire Electric Bike Centre in Goldthorpe. They have a range of bikes in there that you can try, including the Oxygen MTB, which you should try even if you don't want to buy it. If you play your cards right, you can often get a good deal there too.

Hobbehod

Mar 8, 2015
Thanks guys. I didn't know most of that about the motors and interesting that the cheaper bikes have advantages over the Pulse. I had discounted the SYEBC but may go to have a look.

Hobbehod

Mar 8, 2015
The bikes didn't grab my attention and I don't like the look of the bottle type batteries on some. Apologies if I'm showing my ignorance as the Oxygens seem well regarded here.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bikes didn't grab my attention and I don't like the look of the bottle type batteries on some. Apologies if I'm showing my ignorance as the Oxygens seem well regarded here.
I wouldn't expect anyone to buy a bike they don't like the look of, but bottle battery aside, the Oxygen MTB is worth your consideration.

It rides a treat and is versatile, being good on light trails and also able to rattle along at a good pace on the road - assuming you are prepared to up the speed limit on the controller.

Spares and service back-up is now well sorted, and you live near the supplier.

There are lots of posts on here from people who have regretted buying from hundreds of miles away when the bike needs some work doing on it.

You may not like the look of bottle batteries, but they are about the best way of carrying the weight of the battery.

Seat post or rack batteries give a more top heavy bike which is not so well balanced.

I've not tried the Volt, but have looked at one.

Decent quality bike, big battery, but it looks dear at £2K.

The Woosh and Ezee bikes are both excellent value, so you won't go far wrong if you buy any of the bikes on your shortlist.

Hobbehod

Mar 8, 2015
Thanks. I'm warming to the Oxygen e-mate city as it seems to have what I'm looking for. I think the name put me off as I don't want an 'e-mate' or to ride it around a city! I should be able to see it and the Volts on the same day as both shops are in the same direction. I'll take a look at the MTB while I'm at it and I'd prefer to buy a bike that I've seen and tried. But if I'm not really impressed by at least one I might go for the Big Bear and save some money. That's the current plan anyway.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks. I'm warming to the Oxygen e-mate city as it seems to have what I'm looking for. I think the name put me off as I don't want an 'e-mate' or to ride it around a city! I should be able to see it and the Volts on the same day as both shops are in the same direction. I'll take a look at the MTB while I'm at it and I'd prefer to buy a bike that I've seen and tried. But if I'm not really impressed by at least one I might go for the Big Bear and save some money. That's the current plan anyway.
The E-mate City has a slightly less powerful motor, as does the 11ah (white) Oxygen MTB.

The one we all like is the black 13ah bike, which has a gruntier motor.

A Big Bear should have about the same power as a 13ah Oxygen MTB.

No need to discount the weaker motored bikes, they still offer a reasonable level of assistance, particularly if you don't weigh too much.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Big Bear has 20A Lishui controller, the BMS on the Bear has 28A continuous, offering about the same pulling power as the Ezee bikes which are top dogs in this department.
The Zephyr-B's BMS has 20A continuous, a bit less grunty than the Bear albeit using the same motor and controller, so don't underestimate the role of the battery's capacity. A big battery sags less, holding the bike's performance better.
The main difference on specs besides battery capacity is that the Oxygen 13AH MTB and the Zephyr-B come already equipped with hydraulic brakes while on the Bear, hydraulic brakes are optional (£80 extra).

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
As a slight diversion from the good information your getting here so far. I was on the verge of totally disliking the look of my Kalkhoff Pro Connect Alfine 8G when I first tried it. It almost totally put me off. I love it now and especially when my GF said it suited me. So, be careful about dismissing looks before you've experienced it. That's what I learnt..

I just thought i'd throw that in the mix..

Reactions: flatbat

Hobbehod

Mar 8, 2015
Is it worth upgrading to hydraulic brakes on the Big Bear? Paying an extra £80 to swop one set of brakes for another seems expensive (nearly 10% of the full cost of the bike) or do they make a big difference?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are far nicer and more effective in operation, but not essential. This option is probably most appealing to someone who already uses hydraulics and doesn't want to go back to mechanical.

D

Deleted member 4366

Is it worth upgrading to hydraulic brakes on the Big Bear? Paying an extra £80 to swop one set of brakes for another seems expensive (nearly 10% of the full cost of the bike) or do they make a big difference?
It could save your life. You only need to do the front one, which is the one that does most of the stopping.
They make a big difference to your braking control, and they never need adjusting.

Hobbehod

Mar 8, 2015
I assume this omits the sensor mentioned on the Woosh website. I'm guessing the sensor cuts the motor so the motor and brakes don't oppose each other.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's correct - it's very easy to replace the front brakes with hydraulic. If you don't care about the look, you only need to spend £18. Then cut off the cable from the lever you remove and solder it onto a 'normally closed' reed switch like this one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/reed-switches/2897878/

Hobbehod

Mar 8, 2015
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. I have just ordered a 'Woosh Big Bear' with the mechanical brakes. I'll see how I get on with them before considering whether to upgrade to hydraulic brakes as discussed above.

I decided not to test ride any other electric bikes although I have ridden one before so know what to expect. It would have taken a day and at least a 70 mile round trip to get to those I had planned to see and I think it would have only made the decision harder. I would have found it difficult to justify spending up to £2000 on a bike when a £900 bike would be as good or nearly as good.

The bike's due to be delivered on Friday so I'll put my views on a thread once I've put it through its paces.