Help! Buying online help

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Op want's a moped really but most don't want to pay for insurance, mot etc,etc and expect to illegally ride fast on an overpowered push bike. In law these are still mopeds.

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
Had a look on 'ebikeshop.co.uk', but they all seem out of my price range.

I'm appreciate I'm not going to get a derestricted bike from a manufacturer, but would like a bike which is restricted and that I could get derestricted. I'm 35 and just using to commute to work and not on the roads. Definitely dont want to be one of those parts bombing along at 30mph on the pavement. But would like to be able to go a bit faster than jogging pace up hill without breaking a sweat, if I'm running late for work . Any suggestions would be great. Please and thank you

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can get dongles for most bikes and most hub drives you can change the speed limit in the displays if you have the code 12345 lol.

if you get the programme cable that will do 30-40mph and have a throttle if you want.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm 6'2 so I would assume I would need the larger 29 size which is sold out :confused:.
The regular NCM Moscow is sold out in 29" wheel, but the NCM Moscow Plus isn't... it is a couple of hundred more, but it's the same bike with an even bigger 16Ah battery, slightly better fork, slightly better gearing and superior Hydraulic brakes. Much nicer for £1600, which is only a bit over your £1400 budget.

NCM Moscow Plus Electric Mountain Bike,E-Bike, 250W, E-MTB, 48V 16Ah 768Wh (leoncycle.co.uk)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get the bafang when that thing is turned up it will **** all over my bosch motor bike but it will mean the batt wont last as long if you want to fly around going 40 mph.

my m8 has one and done just that for over a year with 1000 miles on it but the motor now need some tlc and bearings replaced.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
peter can service the motor if you cant do it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

he just needs a donor bike and can convert it for you but they pop up on ebay all the time i thought you bought that one lol.

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021

he just needs a donor bike and can convert it for you but they pop up on ebay all the time i thought you bought that one lol.
I went to, someone beat me to it. Half think it was someone watching this group :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

well if you crash it you can make a $hit load of burgers lol :p

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
What specs should I be looking for in a bike/battery which means it would give good power if derestricted? (Nothing crazy, just enough to go more than jogging pace up a hill). And how do I know if a bike can be derestricted and it is okay to do so (it won't fall apart from the increased forces, or whatever)? Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Power needs to be supported by a good battery, so you will have to accept some compromise here at your budget level. If you only want to cruise at around 20mph then it's very achievable.
The power you need for climbing a hill depends on how much you weigh.
I you weigh 14 stone or under, a lightweight bike like the Woosh Faro (16kgs) would be a good choice. Between 14 and 16 stone, the Camino (23kgs) and over 16 stone, the Gran Camino (24kgs).

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
What specs should I be looking for in a bike/battery which means it would give good power if derestricted? (Nothing crazy, just enough to go more than jogging pace up a hill). And how do I know if a bike can be derestricted and it is okay to do so (it won't fall apart from the increased forces, or whatever)? Thanks
Derestricting the speed limit on a bike will not increase the power you have to climb hills. It's unlikely you will be climbing any decent hill at over 15mph, so it will make no difference. More power comes from increasing voltage/current.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
I'm not really after the opinion of a trades men. That's why I'm on a community forum. (I am on a community forum aren't I...?). Also as I mentioned, half your bikes aren't in stock. What I'm after is an unbiased, experienced person to just send me a link for a good deal which would suit my needs, (for a bike in stock/ available to buy). I'm 6'2 ,13 stone, and want to commute up and over a hill without getting sweaty for 20 mins. Whould like to be able to go about 20 mph up hill (for days when running late). I'll then ride home for exercise after work coz I can shower at home. Budget £1-1.5k. Happy to buy from a dealer but would need to unrestricted the speed. If ebay bafang mid drive is best then happy with that. I just don't know what is a good deal or not. I plead and put my faith in the community. I'm going insane searching. Please help

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
Derestricting the speed limit on a bike will not increase the power you have to climb hills. It's unlikely you will be climbing any decent hill at over 15mph, so it will make no difference. More power comes from increasing voltage/current.
Ah, thanks. This is a rabbit hole I'm dying in!! I did have a go on a mid-drive bafang 750W and it flew up the 'hill in question'. Too much if anything.