Cadence

Memran

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2010
I've always tried to maintain a high cadence, and while reading this article I became a little confused!

In technical terms, cycling at a low cadence with great force uses 'fast twitch muscle fibres' while cycling at a high cadence with less force uses 'slow twitch muscle fibres'. Fast twitch muscle fibres use locally stored energy (glycogen in the muscles) that will run out after an extended period of exercise,and tire easily whereas slow twitch uses fat, much more available in the body and much better able to cope with extensive periods of effort.
Can someone explain why using a fast cadence uses slow twitch fibres, and slow cadence uses fast twitch fibres? This seems counter intuitive to me.

Thanks

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I thought that article explained it quite well, a short sprint can be faster with a lower cadence but to cover a long distance higher cadences work better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe this is related to the relative strain on the muscle.

A low cadence demands very high pressures which are the sort the body uses in sudden high stress situations such as flight from danger. As such, very quick muscle responses are required and the fuel for those has to be local and immediately accessible. Hence fast twitch.

In the normal circumstances of life the body doesn't submit the muscles to high stresses so time is not at issue. Therefore, counter-intuitively, fast cadences which require low muscle effort accord with the conditions of normal life, only needing slow muscle response mechanisms.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Isn't it similar to "white" / "type I" versus "red" / "type 2" muscle fiber (anyone familiar with body-building will know that).

"
Aerobic events, which rely primarily on the aerobic (with oxygen) system, use a higher percentage of Type I (or slow-twitch) muscle fibers, consume a mixture of fat, protein and carbohydrates for energy, consume large amounts of oxygen and produce little lactic acid. Anaerobic exercise involves short bursts of higher intensity contractions at a much greater percentage of their maximum contraction strength. Examples of anaerobic exercise include sprinting and weight lifting. The anaerobic energy delivery system uses predominantly Type II or fast-twitch muscle fibers, relies mainly on ATP or glucose for fuel, consumes relatively little oxygen, protein and fat, produces large amounts of lactic acid and can not be sustained for as long a period as aerobic exercise.
"

Muscle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia