Calibre Bossnut with Tongsheng TSDZ2

Paultig

Just Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Milton Keynes
Hi,
Just finished my 4th conversion with the Tongsheng TSDZ2 500w motor kit from PSW Power. I thought you may be interested to see it as I couldn't find any when I searched. I had bought 2 kits for me and the wife, originally fitted to our Boardman Team Hybrids which work really well but i decided to switch the kits to our Calibre Bossnut MTB's. It looked like a bit of an awkward fit at first due to the lack of chain stay triangles at the base of the seat tube which serves as a mounting point for the torque bracket and the large 14A battery mounting but both overcome with what ended up as a neat install.

Attachments

jmlflorencio

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2020
Great. I'm eager to get my hands on one of those kits. How's the ride?

I like that battery case, it looks like it was made specifically for that frame. But... Won't you have a problem securing it upside down? Will it hold?

Paultig

Just Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Milton Keynes
Great. I'm eager to get my hands on one of those kits. How's the ride?

I like that battery case, it looks like it was made specifically for that frame. But... Won't you have a problem securing it upside down? Will it hold?
It rides really well, i like the torque drive which means you have to put in some effort then the motor multiplies the effort, 500w and 48v gives me over 30mph i haven't fully range tested it yet but 14amp should give me plenty. The whole kit only adds 7kg. For some spirited off road I will assist the two battery support bolts with some strapping but i won't be going mad.

Eltommo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2021
Hi, I bossnut same as you and unfortunately was diagnosed with a lung condition which meant my bike never got used. However I am improving after recent medication and docs say to get out and exercise. Converting my bossnut would be great. Can you please tell me what I need to buy as a friend said he can do the conversion and hopefullyI can enjoy my bike again. Yours looks wonderful. Thank you so much

Eltommo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2021
Is this the kit you used? Are able to tell me what was the problem you encountered and how did you fix it? Thank you Tom

Crazylegs1892

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2023
Hello

I've got a Calibre Bossnut myself. I've thought about this kit as an option, Woosh bike sell a battery bag kit and I have a local company that can install it for me. My only concerns are taking the bike through water.

I did a red trail recently and it was heavily waterlogged in places which meant cycling through some deep water. I'd have concerns that submerging the bike would ruin the mid drive motor. Have you taken the bike through water at all? Also does the kit add a lot of weight to the bike?

Many thanks

Marc

pxl666

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2023
i would go for a 36t NW chainring and 50t casette to make life easier . also i'd secure the battery with strap when going mtb .
did you use rubber washers for hailong rail to secure if from side wobbling ?

Reactions: Crazylegs1892

Crazylegs1892

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2023
i would go for a 36t NW chainring and 50t casette to make life easier . also i'd secure the battery with strap when going mtb .
did you use rubber washers for hailong rail to secure if from side wobbling ?
Thank you for the advice. Does the 36t chainring and 50t cassette reduce and shorten the gearing? It's 1x12 set at the moment that comes as standard on the Bossnut but from what I've read, if you have more gears it'll mean more stress on the chain?

I'd have thought the battery would be secure anyway wouldn't it? How would the battery pack work with a dropper post when doing downhill sections and undulating terrain?

Cheers

Last edited:

Crazylegs1892

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2023
Just to add. I'd have thought have more torque going through the pedals would actually provide less stress on a chain? Similar to a Turbo on an engine, it provides more torque lower down in the rev range at various gears, so less stress on the chain?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
That @Paultig is a very neat conversion. On the battery support matter, rather than straps, have you considered adding rivnuts to the frame?

Obviously an ordinary drill won't be able to line up with the underside of the frame but maybe a small right-angle adapter will do it?

I bought one of these from Screwfix and successfully installed rivnuts for mounting a bottle cage on an awkward part of the frame.

Crazylegs1892

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2023
How have found doing rough terrain and trails with this kit, does it catch big stones more easily as the conversion is much bigger on the bottom bracket than the standard setup isn't it?