Help! Can anyone help me identify this Powabyke model please?

shelleywa

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Hi all. I am selling some stuff for my Dad. He has an old Powabyke. I can't find a model name/number on it (why do manufacturers do that?!) and I know nothing about electric bikes. Have Googled but can't find out what it is. I think it's quite old. I'm hoping some in-the-know folk on here might be able to help! Any info will be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
That's the original Powabyke. I'm not sure they had a specifc model number. I'd just describe it by its features. Rear hub motor. 36 volt lead acid battery.

Reactions: shelleywa

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi all. I am selling some stuff for my Dad. He has an old Powabyke. I can't find a model name/number on it (why do manufacturers do that?!) and I know nothing about electric bikes. Have Googled but can't find out what it is. I think it's quite old. I'm hoping some in-the-know folk on here might be able to help! Any info will be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

View attachment 31002
Do charge the battery occasionally, otherwise it will be useless and may represent most of the bike's value today.
If the charger LED remains on green, it is probably already in trouble, check that the voltage is well above 28 volts. Below that it will refuse to charge anymore, though a good bike shop might be able to reverse it with a special charger.
Fully charged (I am assuming a Li-ion) should be 42 volts! But keeping it at around 35v, till you sell it, is adequate.
regards
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, no model name for that original one sold from 1999 on.

Later it had the motor swapped to the front wheel which eventually became known as the Powabyke Euro model.

Reactions: shelleywa and flash

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Beat me to it Flecc

Reactions: flecc

shelleywa

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Do charge the battery occasionally, otherwise it will be useless and may represent most of the bike's value today.
If the charger LED remains on green, it is probably already in trouble, check that the voltage is well above 28 volts. Below that it will refuse to charge anymore, though a good bike shop might be able to reverse it with a special charger.
Fully charged (I am assuming a Li-ion) should be 42 volts! But keeping it at around 35v, till you sell it, is adequate.
regards
Andy
A bit late for that, unfortunately. My Dad's been out of action for a while now and therefore so has the bike. Although, he seems to remember it was in need of new batteries, even when he used it last. I think they're a gonner! I doubt this is really worth much without a working battery, if it's from 1999. It's heavy, too! :confused:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Those bikes do have some redeeming features. They have a throttle and the motor gives immense torque. Batteries are around £25 each (you need three) if you buy them separately, open the case and put them in yourself, which isn't too difficult.

If I had a bike like that and wanted to keep it going, I'd open the case, take out the batteries and replace them with a lithium cell-pack that would cost about £180 to £200. It would make the bike a lot lighter, give double the range and be more tolerant of occasional use.

shelleywa

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2019
Those bikes do have some redeeming features. They have a throttle and the motor gives immense torque. Batteries are around £25 each (you need three) if you buy them separately, open the case and put them in yourself, which isn't too difficult.

If I had a bike like that and wanted to keep it going, I'd open the case, take out the batteries and replace them with a lithium cell-pack that would cost about £180 to £200. It would make the bike a lot lighter, give double the range and be more tolerant of occasional use.
Thanks! I will have to remember that for his ad :)