Help! Can I ride e-bikes in heavy rain?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wow, that's impressive. I had a similar incident where my BBS01B was totally submerged while running for about 5 secs or so while misjudging the depth a pool on a track after a downpour (in hindsight should of jumped off the bike and got knee deep in muddy water and pushed it out). I did remove the final drive cover when I got home, there was a little moisture in there, I think it got in through the crank spindle rubber seal, no surprise really. Anyway, cleaned it out, replaced the final drive grease (Aeroshell 22) and a year has passed since (and a couple of thousand miles) with no issue
36v probably isn't enough to leave us floating belly up, like fish zapped by electric eel.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
@guern - those 20mm round rocker switches and covers will be ideal as I'm sure the OEM ones are that size - thank you very much for the link :cool:

I've changed the switch out for a new one before (due to water ingress) with the aid of a heat gun, soldering iron and needle files.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've changed the switch out for a new one before (due to water ingress) with the aid of a heat gun, soldering iron and needle files.
With the economies of scale available to manufacturers, fitting waterproof silicone covers over rocker switches in the first place would cost them very little.

I may do the same someday, but I'm reluctant to fix anything which isn't broken. Quite happy with my rucksack covers. I'm more likely to put the battery inside a waterproof motorbike helmet box on the rear rack - a narrow one (offset to one side), which wouldn't impede my bike folding compactly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
For a tenner this waterproof cover will cover the switch and the rest of the battery

Waterproof Ebike Battery Cover, Dustproof, Wear Resistant Bike Frame Bag, Battery Bag for Electric Bike https://amzn.eu/d/1iAVKr8

• Useful
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a waterproof sw those silicon type surrounds don't actually waterproof the switch as the rocker it self isn't wp and moisture can ingress around the edges of the rocker it self. One needs a fuuly inclosed rocker or a type which is just a silcone press button.

Secondly not all cases are wp, years ago I remember Cwah posting about his 48v dolphin battery left on his bike overnight. The following morning his bike wouldn't work, when he opened the case it was a wash with rain water.

Most though are splash proof and will resist water ingress when riding as the riders legs and torso will help to protect from most water damage, as above with Cwah's battery it is leaving out in standing rain that causes most issues.

Also rear rack batteries are also more likely to be an issue , this was a case when a user slagged off wisper bikes when his bike failed and bemoaned them all over forums. In the end he got little sympathy as he also lef this bike out in standing rains for several hours with out a thought of protecting the battery.

Rather then think of just the sw a complete cover as egroover has linked to or some other type of covering is best if someone is concerned either when riding or leaving a bike in standing rain. With the latter then a motorcycle bike cover for the whole bike may be best however damp can be an issue if used as a permanent way of storage.

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
Fiido replied back not to ride in heavy rain, send the FAQ for the D21 applies to X

"Can I ride in the rain?

Yes, the D21 is IP54 waterproof. But we recommend not to use it in heavy rain considered of safety. Please avoid putting the e-bike in water, or cleaning with a high-pressure water gun to avoid damage to electronic components and wiring due to soaking.

However, when passing through water pools, stagnant water, etc., pay attention to the height of wading not higher than the hub to prevent damage to the motor caused by water ingress. Do not wash with high-pressure water jets to avoid damage to electronic components and wiring due to wetness."

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For a waterproof sw those silicon type surrounds don't actually waterproof the switch as the rocker it self isn't wp and moisture can ingress around the edges of the rocker it self. One needs a fuuly inclosed rocker or a type which is just a silcone press button.
Having seen worn silicone covers gaining holes, over switches on other equipment, I worried they'd eventually become reservoirs for rain - their filling up with water through a small hole, might even go unnoticed until an electrical fault is caused.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've changed the switch out for a new one before (due to water ingress)
Araldite a small black plastic peaked "A" shaped roof over the switch? There shouldn't be much water shooting upwards unless you don't have mudguards, or if there's extremely heavy rain. In Wales, rain is often horizontal in the valleys - hits one eardrum.

Last edited:

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
@Bikes4two - I was going to fit one of those silicone covers, but the rocker switch on my battery was secured by rather a lot of hot glue. At the time, I didn't have a hot air gun... plus it looked like a messy job which could have required soldering in a new rocker switch, and at the time I had no soldering skills. Simply covering the battery was a easy, fast and effective solution - at a quick glance (which is all observers will have time for) also obscures the fact that I'm riding a electric bike, which is better when riding through certain neighbourhoods. The top waterproof cover on my rear rack mounted battery is hi-viz.
Great idea just ordered 2 for my battery

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Secondly not all cases are wp, years ago I remember Cwah posting about his 48v dolphin battery left on his bike overnight. The following morning his bike wouldn't work, when he opened the case it was a wash with rain water.

Most though are splash proof and will resist water ingress when riding as the riders legs and torso will help to protect from most water damage, as above with Cwah's battery it is leaving out in standing rain that causes most issues.
My "Super shark" battery case came apart quite easily, and didn't look at all waterproof. Pumping silicone over the joins before screwing it back together, would have made it much harder to take apart later. Looked a showerproof design - if the shower didn't continue for too long, not fully waterproof.

For a tenner this waterproof cover will cover the switch and the rest of the battery

Waterproof Ebike Battery Cover, Dustproof, Wear Resistant Bike Frame Bag, Battery Bag for Electric Bike https://amzn.eu/d/1iAVKr8
That'd keep the battery warm in cold weather too.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

This with drawstrings to keep the cover on, also looks good...

...but the waterproofing issue then becomes near-ish as large as it is with waterproof jackets: Do they have taped seams? How waterproof are they exactly? High end outdoor waterproof jacket specs show charts citing rain in mm over time. It's why I simply use two velcroed-on inexpensive seamless waterproof hi-viz waterproof covers, because one is never enough.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know if that is our old cwah or not as the bike looks like a decent normal ebike.
He's was well known for his lashed up ebikes which all looked like a dogs dinner of components and design, he always amused us with his antics.
Mostly he was in to hot rodding small wheeled bikes and fast speed, often he would want a bike to carry a couple of hotties on as well as he was a bit of a ladies man (he may have been a gigolo or a babe magnet :cool:) so a sedate normal bike one doesn't associate him with. If it is him may be he's woken up and realised illegal lash ups weren't the way forward.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't know if that is our old cwah or not as the bike looks like a decent normal ebike.
He's was well known for his lashed up ebikes which all looked like a dogs dinner of components and design, he always amused us with his antics.
Mostly he was in to hot rodding small wheeled bikes and fast speed, often he would want a bike to carry a couple of hotties on as well as he was a bit of a ladies man (he may have been a gigolo or a babe magnet :cool:) so a sedate normal bike one doesn't associate him with. If it is him may be he's woken up and realised illegal lash ups weren't the way forward.
The back of that Cwah's bike looks a bit unusual. Your Cwah spend a bundle making this quite mad looking 1000W (or was it 2kw?) bike with moped tyres, and sold it at a loss:

he may have been a gigolo or a babe magnet :cool:
...nice legs :p

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here's your Cwah, or another Cwah on ES asking about making an ebike to tow a caravan lol: