can I use V brakes on a 350/500w FRONT HUB conversion kit ?

D

Deleted member 4366

That doesn't make sense. The charger is for a 48v LiFePO4 battery, but you will have a 36v one!
I've never seen a 12aH tube battery before. Ask him how many cells and what type are in it. If it's 50 cells, it probably won't fit in your frame. Unless that battery is something special (expensive), it won't be able to supply enough current for a 500w BPM either.

Read this before fitting a front 500w BPM:

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Bafang BPM 500W broke again the aluminium fork dropouts

What bike will you be fitting the motor to?

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
the bike I am fitting to is MTB GIANT BOULDER link can be found in this thread it is a bottle shape and have measured up and seems ok. The spec is:

Specification:
1.Model: 36V12AH tube type(Polymer lithium ion cells)
2. Voltage : 36V
3. Capacity: 12Ah 0.5C Discharge
4. Max Charging voltage: 42V
5. Discharging cut-off voltage : 30.0V
6. Max charging current :2A
7. Continue discharging current :15A
8. Peak current: 30A
9. Lifespan : 600 Cycles >capacity 60% 0.5C
10. Available capacity : >96% (30.0V cut off)
11. Weight (Approx) :3.2KG
12. Dimension: 92*370mm
13. Charging temperature: -10°C to 55°C
14. Discharging temperature: 0°C to 45°C
15. Storage temperature: 10°C to 30°C

Characteristics:
NO. Item Requirements Test Method
1 Discharge
Characteristics Discharge capacity
Nominal capacity×100%
A)0.2C5A ≥100%
B)0.5C5A ≥98%
C)1C5A ≥95%
Standard charge at 0.2C5A under the condition of normal atmospheric pressure and the environmental temperature of 25°C±5°C and 45%~80% RH(unless otherwise specified, storage and charging should be conducted as this regime), then rest for 10min and discharge at 0.2C5A,0.5C5A,1C5A to 30V respectively. Charge/discharge cycle can be conducted for 3 times before meeting the Standards(the same below).
2 Normal Storage Residual Capacity≥Nominal capacity*85%
Recoverable capacity≥Nominal capacity *90%
OCV decrease≤3%
impendance increase ≤20% Measure initial status and initial capacity. Store for 28 days after standard charge, then measure final status and residual capacity at 0.2C5A to 30.0V; After charge/discharge(1C/0.5C) cycle can be conducted for 3 times , measure the recoverable capacity before meeting the Standards(the same below).
3 Cycle Life Discharge Capacity≥Nominal apacity*60% 0.5C discharger
Measure initial status and initial capacity, then conduct 0.5C discharge cycle for 600 times . Measure last status and last capacity 60%

Safety Performance:
NO. Item Requirements Test Method
1 Over charge No fire,no explosion After standard charging,then Charge at 3C5A to 10.0V
2 Over discharge No fire,no explosion
After standard charging,discharge 0.3C5A to 0V
at 20°C±5°C
3 Drop
No fire,no explosion
no leakage
After standard charging, then let it self fall off from
a height of 1.5m(the lowest height)to a rigid wooden
board with the thickness of 20mm. The drop is
implemented one time for every face.
4 Hot Oven No fire,no explosion
After standard charging. Keep the battery in the box
with constant temperature of 85°C±2 °C and
remained for 2hours at this temperature.
5 Crush No fire,no explosion
After standard charging, keep the battery
on the bracket
1. Extrusion direction:perpendicular to the direction
of maintaining pressure on the battery plates.
2. Extrusion headdress product:≥20cm
3. Extrusion degree: Until the battery shell ruptured
or internal short circuit (battery voltage becomes 0V)
6 Needle
puncture
performance No fire,no explosion
After standard charging, keep the battery on the
bracket,penetrate through it with a 3mm~8mm
diameter nail near the center of its biggest surface
at the rate of 10mm/s-40mm/s.

Charger Specification:
AC Voltage: 110~240V
DC Voltage: 43.8V
DC Current: 2Amps
Dimensions: 51*93*160mm
Net weight: 0.9kg
Features:
1. Short-circuit protection; Charger O/P cut-off automatically when short circuit.
2. Overload protection: Charger O/P current-limited automatically when overload.
3. Reverse polarity protection: Charger O/P cut-off automatically when battery reverse connection.
4. Automatic multi-rate charging function: CC,CV,Cut-off .
5. Parallel operation available: Parallel with battery as DC power supply operation available.
2 LED Display: LED1 Red(power on); LED2 Red(charging); Green(full).

So what do you think ? any other forum members have any views on this project ?

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
d8veh

regards the in line sensors (HWBS) do I need to buy 4 do they go on each side both front hub end and rear wheel or only 2 and where is the best place to place them for use, any thoughts on the last update with the data spec or am I best off going for the battery but lesser hub power say 350w or 250w?

Reactions: Peter.Bridge
D

Deleted member 4366

Is it a sideways mounting one or vertical. If vertical, you need space to lift it off/on as well. The one in the photo below just fits. If it were 5mm longer, it wouldn't. You can see that it's not just the length you need, but the space above it.

12FET controllers are normally around 30 amps, so you'l be pushing that battery hard, but it might be OK.

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
hi it is exactly the same as the photo you supplied I have just found a kit. Well I am confused now as just stumbled across this on Ebay : Specification:
* Power: 500W / 36V . ..... .. * Max speed: 35 km/h........* Net weight: 10kg..
* Wheel type: front .... .... * Wheel Size: 26"...... .....* Max load capacity: 85kg....
* Motor: Brushless gearless ..* Torque: 35 N.M .. ....... .* Spokes: Steel, 12G×2.6mm
* Tire: Nylon .......................* Rim: Alloy double wall .......
Key feature:
* Built to the highest international standards, CE, EN15194
* Wheels using double wall CNC rims and heavy duty spokes
* Rare-earth metal magnates are used in the motor to efficiently produce large power
* Thumb throttle has battery level display and power-cut off button
* E-brake handles are integrated into the wiring loom for power-cut off safety
* Male/female plugs are unique to avoid any confusion when connecting
* Motor hub has disk brake mounts
* Crank speed sensor for pedal assist
* Aluminum alloy powerful controller
* One ring placed between thumb throttle and handle bar
Note: 1.Our products are compatible with many kinds of battery. 2.Battery is not included.
Package Includes:
1x Brushless Gearless Motor Front Wheel
1x Intelligent Motor Controller
1x Pedal Assist Crank Sensor
1x Cable Ties & Plastic Coil
1x Thumb Throttle
1x Pair of Handle Bars
1x Controller Bag
1x Pair of Brake Handles
1x Instruction

it will save me about £120 even with tax ect from china but will need to source a bottle shape or similar to fit to slant of frame 36v 12AH battery, would I be best off sourcing from the EU or China bearing in mind I would need a suitable charger too! shipping and taxes and handling charges.....what shall I do? also do you you think the controller be an issue with this battery? you mentioned it would take 30Amps

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you don't buy your motor or battery from BMSBattery, get the two-wire ones I mentioned above. The electronic ones are three wires, which mean additional wiring.

That Ebay kit looks OK for the money apart from the weight, but the advert is bullsh!t. How can it be EN15194 compliant when it's 500w and 35km/h. It's a direct drive motor, so less efficient in stop-start riding and hill-climbing.

A 500w rear BPM kit from BMSB is £215 including shipping or £419 with a 20aH battery, but perhaps £15 to £40 duty. You'll have to pay duty on the battery wherever you get it from, and buying the battery with the motor reduces the shipping cost substantially.

An alternative would be to use Hobbyking lipos with that Ebay kit. Six of these gives 44v 10aH for a bit of extra oomph. With a charger and other stuff, it works out at about £150, but you need to learn about how to use them first because there's hidden dangers.
Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C hardcase pack (UK Warehouse)

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
thank's d8veh

well the kit and accessories I mentioned from Chins TNA comes to USD 650 so works out before tax and handling £405 so regards the mofet controller is the 30Ah an issue and the polymer battery will it work out or? as I mentioned before only intend to use PAS on low - med settings as and when required and high mode when hills and bad weather ect so will it do the job as for the electric bike brake sensors ( popular in Holland, Germany are these only available in China as shipping for this item is $ 40 can you purchase say EBAY or in the EU? you have been of great help and it is appreciated