Cannondale Synapse Neo

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i could over take you no problem on my fs racing bike :p:p

DLB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2019
Well yesterday was the day. I have now collected my new bike. I must say that it really does look great. Now all I need is some good weather to try it out ☹.

Reactions: Nev

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Weekend weather looks OK though :)

What is a little odd is that the Neo (18.5kg) is 5kg heavier than the Gain (13.5kg) but the difference in battery and drive/motor weights is responsible only for about 2kg of that. So I wonder what else accounts for the other 3kg?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What is a little odd is that the Neo (18.5kg) is 5kg heavier than the Gain (13.5kg) but the difference in battery and driver/motor weights is responsible only for about 2kg of that. So I wonder what else accounts for the other 3kg?
Massive crank-drive motor compared with tiny hub-motor might have something to do with it.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Massive crank-drive motor compared with tiny hub-motor might have something to do with it.
I thought the relative motor and drive train weights for the X35 (2.3kg) and the ALP (3 .2kg) took that into account already? Isn't it all in the one sealed unit for the ALP?

And the Bosch battery, being twice as big, adds 1 kg difference too, of course.

Last edited:

DLB

Mar 24, 2019
I think the battery alone weight arround 2kg.
Weather looking terrible where I I live so not much hope in getting out this weekend.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
So ALP total system weight is 6kg, X35's 3.2kg.

So ALP system is 2.8kg heavier, but 25% more torque and twice the battery.

DLB

Mar 24, 2019
Yes I guess that’s about right. But I’m no expert.
The crank drive though seems to be more versatile and efficient but you have to put up with the little extra weight.
I’m told that this is not noticeable when using the bike.
I will update when I get to ride mine.
Also with a crank system you have greater freedom over your wheel choice etc.

Reactions: Artstu

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I think when there is virtually no wind or very little wind, and on a fairly flat course then the Gain will be quicker than the Neo for the same level of physical effort from the rider (I am assuming here riding at above cut off speeds).

I live in an area with lots and lots of hills and we hardly ever get no wind days here.

The 25% extra power from the Neo motor means that on virtually every ride I do I will be quicker on it than I would be on the Gain for the same level of my physical excursion.

BTW I am not saying that people with a Gain could not go faster on some of my rides than I do on the Neo. I am sure many Gain raiders will be a lot fitter than me and I am sure would easily beat me on lots of my regular rides.

DLB

Mar 24, 2019
First ride this morning.
Just a short but hilly route to see how the bike runs.
All I can say is WOW.
This bike is unreal. The hills truly get flattened and headwind is no problem at all.
The weight of the bike vanishes when you are riding it and it feels like any other road bike.
Even when the motor cuts off I wasn’t hindered. I was aware of the weight but it did not slow me down too much at all.
This bike truly is amazing.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Even when the motor cuts off I wasn’t hindered. I was aware of the weight but it did not slow me down too much at all.
This bike truly is amazing.
Great to hear you like the bike, I think I have said that for the same level of effort the Neo is about 3 to 4 mph faster (this is above cut off speed) than my Cube e-mtb. I've done about 350 miles on my now and I absolutely love it, very impressed indeed.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I have noticed when going up long but shallow incline hills that I will often be going up at exactly 15.8 mph. This is on the Neo and on my CX equipped e-mtb. I spoke to a mate of mine who also has a bike with a CX motor and he said that 15.8 mph seemed to be the sweet spot for him too when going up not very steep hills.

The Bosch motors will assist up to about 16.8 mph, but it seems as though the maximum assist works up to 15.8 mph and then there is a gradual cut off until 16.8 mph.

Has anyone else noticed that 15.8 seems to be the speed when maximum assist is in operation then any higher speeds and the assist starts reducing?

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I use kph.
I think on the ALP you get full power assist up to 25.5kph (15.8 mph) and then 50% assist up to 26.9 kph. Actually once over 26.5 kph it might cut down to 25% as it seems to only give me one bar over that speed.
Then it cuts off at 27 kph (16.8 mph).
That seems to be more or less how it works only Cube anyway.
It's probably meant to start cutting off at 25kph exactly but they are probably allowed to round off to the nearest kph, so I'd guess the actual start of the cut off will be something like 25.45kph, which is how you get 15.8 mph...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nev

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Well after about 450 miles on the Neo its finally happened this morning, (it was going to happen sooner or later), another cyclist on a racing bike passed me!!!!!

I was doing around 15.8 to 16 mph (sweet spot) into a fairly strong head wind and the cyclist came past me going a couple of miles an hour faster than me. If I had been on my e-mtb I would have just let him go but as I was on the Neo I thought I would see if I could stay with him if possible.

I was shocked to find how easy it was to just sit on his wheel and be sheltered from the wind, even though we were doing around 18 mph most of the time it was actually easier than riding on my own at around 16 mph. I think I have read that when riding behind someone into a strong head wind you can save about 30% of your energy.

After a few minutes he looked behind him and I could tell from the expression on his face he had quite a shock to see me right on his wheel. A couple of minutes later he turned off, looking rather crest fallen. I suspect when he passed me he did not realise I was on an e-racing bike. Its very difficult to notice the motor and slightly thicker down tube when riding behind me.

I had sort of been hoping a decent rider would pass me just to see if I can stay on their wheel. It was extremely easy to do it into a strong wind, but it will be interesting to see if I would find it as easy if we had been riding with a strong tail wind. I imagine it would then be a lot more difficult for me to stay on a good riders wheel when the wind is in our favour.

Reactions: Artstu