Cannondale Synapse Neo

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
Thanks for the part number, I'll probably get a spare set to keep in my saddle bag . That way I won't ever need it !
Bike all sorted,tried it out at shop,everything seems ok.
Planning a ride at weekend

DLB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2019
No problem at all. Have a good ride.
I too have spare set now.

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
Does anyone know what the length of wire ,which was in the charger box, is for? In the box was the charger, the removeable bridge for rear mudguard and a length of wire which has a small plug on one end and bare wire at t'other (?)
Ps had bike 2 weeks now ,it is every bit as good as mentioned previously in this thread.
Pps just off for another ride!

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Does anyone know what the length of wire ,which was in the charger box, is for? In the box was the charger, the removeable bridge for rear mudguard and a length of wire which has a small plug on one end and bare wire at t'other (?)
Ps had bike 2 weeks now ,it is every bit as good as mentioned previously in this thread.
Pps just off for another ride!
I assumed it was for lights, I could be wrong though.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Just bought today: A Synapse NEO 2. I live in the Peak District (UK) so very hilly!

I've just done 10 miles in it for a 'shakedown' appraisal. So far I'm impressed. The frame rides and steers well and would be a very comfortable ride if it wasn't for the cast-iron saddle. The 'Turbo' and 'Sport's modes don't appear to be that different. The Purion display is a bit basic; a shame it doesn't display cadence. I can't get the Cannondale app to record my ride. Does it need an additional front wheel sensor does anyone know?

If so, any recommendations?

Changing gear to a larger cog is a little noisy - unlike the motor. Do these bikes need a period of 'running-in'?

No specific manual. On-line versions are for the whole 'family' and anything to do with Bosch needs another Google search and non-specific download. Time-wasting.

I had the same question re the extra cable in the box. I too think it must be for lights. I think these must be for Bosch units. Are there any cheaper options?

I've already tightened up the saddle.

I bought it from Evans' in Sheffield; they were very good; very professional.

Regards

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Hi Bonky, yes I agree with you there is not a big difference between Sport and Turbo mode, this comes as a bit of a surprise if one has been riding a bike fitted with a Bosch CX motor.

I can't help you with the app unfortunately, I didn't even know one was available. I haven't noticed changing to a larger cog being noisy, perhaps your bike needs a little adjustment. I took mine back to the shop after a couple of months for a free service.

Like you I live in a very hilly area and find the bike is ideal for me, I prefer the looks of bikes like the Orbea Gain or the Ribble but I suspect I would struggle with those types of bikes on some of the hills I go up.

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Thanks Nev; agreed. I was almost tempted by the new Boardman with the Fazua motor - partly 'cos of the looks and light weight - but it does have a limited range. A ride today from Lodge Moor to Hathersage should be interesting...

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Thanks Nev; agreed. I was almost tempted by the new Boardman with the Fazua motor - partly 'cos of the looks and light weight - but it does have a limited range. A ride today from Lodge Moor to Hathersage should be interesting...
I had a test ride on a Cube Agree which has the Fazua motor, prior to buying the Cannondale. It was a lovely bike, but I really struggled on very steep hills with it and so opted for the Neo. All the best for your ride today I am sure you will enjoy it.

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Thanks Nev.Just returned; we actually went from Lodge Moor to the other side of Edale (about 36 miles- uphill and down-dale). Three battery bars remaining; a warm days but I hardly broke sweat. What a difference!

To use the Cannondale app one needs a front wheel sensor. Cannondale is bringing out a Garmin unit in August for their new 2020 bikes and these will also be available for a retrofit.

The Fazua motor is rated at 60Nm where's the Bosch unit is 58Nm (max) so I'm surprised you noticed such a difference when it came to hill-climbing, but I've read the same from others.

However, I went with a neighbour who has a hub motor on his new Bianchi AriaE. It only has a 250W battery; I could overtake him on the hills but he returned with half his battery capacity left - which rather surprised me. His motor is an efficient unit but noisier than the Bosch.

My backside and arms are numb...I'm really not bike-fit yet. I'm informed that the saddle is a'good 'un'. I may need to tinker with the bars and saddle to relieve some of the pressure on my arms.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
The Fazua motor is rated at 60Nm where's the Bosch unit is 58Nm (max) so I'm surprised you noticed such a difference when it came to hill-climbing, but I've read the same from others.
Yes on paper both motors should have been about the same, but it just goes to show how important it is to take a test ride on the types of hills you are going to be riding up. The Bosch motor was far more powerful on the hills than the Fazua.

Reactions: Bonky

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Did a 31 mile loop around Snowdon in North Wales the other day, took this pic on the way. Still very pleased with the Neo, have had one puncture so far will probably get some Marathon Plus tyres in the next couple of months.IMG_20190716_095012.jpg

Reactions: DLB and Andy McNish

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Looks good Nev. How do you find the saddle? (Mine feels like cast iron...my filum terminale is aching for days afterwards. I have the saddle at approx. the same angle as yours (4 degrees down?)).

So far, like you , I'm very pleased with it (Synapse Neo2)...despite its weight. Any thoughts re: mudguards and other accessories?

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Hi Bonky, I found the saddle a bit tough for the first couple of rides but got used to it after that. The longest ride I will tend to do though is about 50 miles. I find that after 3 to 4 hours on a bike is enough for me, I have never been one who can enjoy 6 or 7 hours in the saddle.

I don't bother with mudguards on any of my bikes. I am a fair weather rider I wont go out if its raining or if the roads are soaking wet. Now living in North Wales I would never go out if I thought I might get wet, so I do sometimes get caught out and have to ride in the rain, but it doesn't happen very often.

I'm retired so don't have to worry about commuting to work but if I did then I would be looking at getting mud guards and lights etc sorted (I don't ride in the dark either lol).

Bonky

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2019
Thanks Nev. I know what you mean ...I'm retired too...but cycling with a local U3A group in the Peaks in winter often mean it's raining and/or dark by the end of the ride. I've git lights now bu am reticent about mudguards.

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
Hi Bonky,
I try to avoid the rain. I don't mind getting wet, but if I get wet and cold it knocks me up for a couple of days. So I use full length SKS bluemels guards over winter . Not had them fitted to the Neo yet, but I've tried them for size and they do fit okay .
I also use SKS race blades in the better weather if the forecast is a bit iffy.
They're a bit fiddly to set up first off but easy on/off after that.
Another guard I've used is the 'AssSaver' ( a somewhat unlovely name !)
Stops the stripe up your back and the resulting soggy chammy, providing it's not raining too hard !
This may suggest that I don't like the wet ! Correct! But I love riding me new bike
Nev,
Love the pic.
Was in N Wales in June, had some lovely rides especially the road from Dolgellau up past Cadair Idris. (Didn't have the Neo then, used my front hub conversion Genesis.)
Guess what ? I got wet !

Reactions: Nev

DLB

Mar 24, 2019
Morning all.
Nice pictures of your bikes.
It’s been a few months now since getting my Neo and I still can’t stop smiling to myself when I ride it.
It’s opens up so many routes that previously would have wiped me out for several days without the assistance of the motor.
Now I’m able to do back to back rides without any issues at all.
I did come unstuck the other day and fell off while clipped in.
It was while I was turning very slowly in a small lay-by probably only a few miles an hour and the wheels went from under me as if I was on ice. There was some gravel on the road and th bike didn’t like it at all.
Luckily only my pride and minor scratch to the rear derailleur.
(Take Care With Gravel On Roads)...
Did a nice ride in the sun yesterday with quite a bit of climbing, just short of 70 miles and the battery display still showed two dashes left (30 to 40%).
I think that’s pretty good, and depending on your route I can see this bike easily managing 100 miles plus.

I’ve post d my Strava link below.
Happy Riding..

https://strava.app.link/IwvUnailDY

westofsouth

Aug 5, 2019
Bought a Neo 3 from Cycle Surgery last Thursday (good price).
Now after just 70 miles have converted to flat(ish) 'bars.
Interested to hear of the experiences of others with this bike...

Reactions: DLB