cargo bike conversion

juan07

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2021
thx for this thread! looking to upgrade my gazelle cabby with a bafang bbs02B 750W. only i would like the battery on the rear rack.

Vincec

Aug 14, 2021
No worries - pedals off, crank puller to get the cranks off both sides and then for me it was a simple as clatter the BB axle out from the chainring side to the open side - I just used a plain old claw hammer.

Then reverse the BB when it pops out and hit it back in toq knock the cap out of the other side.

Job done! I'll stick some pics up at some point. Good luck

Reactions: juan07

juan07

Jul 30, 2021
No worries - pedals off, crank puller to get the cranks off both sides and then for me it was a simple as clatter the BB axle out from the chainring side to the open side - I just used a plain old claw hammer.

Then reverse the BB when it pops out and hit it back in toq knock the cap out of the other side.

Job done! I'll stick some pics up at some point. Good luck
Hi I'm doing the conversion atm just a bit confused how I could make the motor fit tight into the BB

Vincec

Aug 14, 2021
Hi I'm doing the conversion atm just a bit confused how I could make the motor fit tight into the BB
I know it's loose isn't it. I think you're supposed to use a shim but I didn't just nipped it up as tight as I could and I keep the spanner on the bike as have had to retighten once already. Seems ok to me

juan07

Jul 30, 2021
I know it's loose isn't it. I think you're supposed to use a shim but I didn't just nipped it up as tight as I could and I keep the spanner on the bike as have had to retighten once already. Seems ok to me
Ok if it loosens i'll just create a shim to fit around it and maybe blue loctite to lock the nut

Vincec

Aug 14, 2021
Ok if it loosens i'll just create a shim to fit around it and maybe blue loctite to lock the nut
Mine did loosen the other day! I re tightened super tight, will keep an eye on it. Noticed it as a creak.

Shim would be good, do you have the kit to make something proper?! I'd definitely be interested in one if so. The conversion that they did in Netherlands they put one on.

By the way, it is so, so great riding it, I can't get enough

juan07

Jul 30, 2021
Mine did loosen the other day! I re tightened super tight, will keep an eye on it. Noticed it as a creak.

Shim would be good, do you have the kit to make something proper?! I'd definitely be interested in one if so. The conversion that they did in Netherlands they put one on.

By the way, it is so, so great riding it, I can't get enough
No tools to make something propper... might ask a 3d printer guy...

Also what chain did you use to replace the old one?

Vincec

Aug 14, 2021
No tools to make something propper... might ask a 3d printer guy...

Also what chain did you use to replace the old one?
Could do it. It's stayed tight since I nipped it up the other day, maybe worth a bit of threadlocker. Because the motor does all of the hard work, I've found that I'm not stamping on the pedals at all, so I'm not certain as to whether it's necessary or not.

I used a Shimano single speed chain, standard nexus one I think.

Pic below, I can show you in close detail any more if you're interested. Attached the battery to the rack using some metal brackets but was a bit of a faff. Also, couldn't be bothered to fit the gear selector, so use the brake lever as a 'clutch' to switch off the over-run of the motor so it changes more smoothly, or when manoeuvring at low speed.

Also, I put a 44T chainring on, which seems about right, normal cruising in 5th gear, 6th for downhill and 7th for steep downhill.

juan07

Jul 30, 2021
The conversion wen't pretty ok.
The seller did not send me all the parts to mount the battry so i had to wait for a month to recieve the other parts.

No everything seems to work fine. Just need to replace the rear sprocket(?) Caus it seems to slip. Also the motor is super powerfull 750W

juan07

Jul 30, 2021
The conversion wen't pretty ok.
The seller did not send me all the parts to mount the battry so i had to wait for a month to recieve the other parts.

No everything seems to work fine. Just need to replace the rear sprocket(?) Caus it seems to slip. Also the motor is super powerfull 750W
Update I just had to tighten the chain :rolleyes: now its working amazing! such a joy riding this bike. I will post pictures later

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Could do it. It's stayed tight since I nipped it up the other day, maybe worth a bit of threadlocker. Because the motor does all of the hard work, I've found that I'm not stamping on the pedals at all, so I'm not certain as to whether it's necessary or not.

I used a Shimano single speed chain, standard nexus one I think.

Pic below, I can show you in close detail any more if you're interested. Attached the battery to the rack using some metal brackets but was a bit of a faff. Also, couldn't be bothered to fit the gear selector, so use the brake lever as a 'clutch' to switch off the over-run of the motor so it changes more smoothly, or when manoeuvring at low speed.

Also, I put a 44T chainring on, which seems about right, normal cruising in 5th gear, 6th for downhill and 7th for steep downhill.

View attachment 43930

Nice! Looks useful too. What's the motor?

juan07

Jul 30, 2021
7 months later and I had to send the battery back.
Recieved a new one and I hope this one will last longer...

I'm also looking into upgrading the brakes C3000/6000 in the front and br-81-f in the rear (if possible)