Cargo Bike Kit Advice

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
Hi everyone.

I am new to the site and have spent several weeks collecting information about what the most suitable conversion kit will be for a new cargo bike build (Yuba Kombi).

I recently test rode a Tongsheng 500w and a Baffang 750w and as the owner of other Bosch systems much preferred the Tongsheng with its torque sensing.

However, I am concerned with reports of Tongshengs reliability issues (even the new B model) and happy to go with the Baffang if that is the better long term option.

I won't be using assist all the time, only on the steep grades when fully loaded (kids or shopping). I live in a hilly part of Devon.

The bike uses 24inch wheels so I am a bit limited on hub motors such as Dillenger, who have said theirs is not suitable. I suppose I could get a motor and build a front wheel as would distribute the weight.

What is the tried and tested route here, I am mostly on towpaths and cycleways so not looking for a 250w road legal system as I think I need the extra watts (torque) for pulling power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Last edited: