Cargo Bike Kit Recommendations

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Hi everyone.
After having owned my first ebike for over 6 months now, and using it more than my car all my shopping and local journeys, I have decided to build another bike with more load lugging capacity.
I have got myself a used Yuba Mundo, and would like to add a beastly kit suitable to power this beast of a bike and 90kg of me loaded with shopping etc up the huge hills to get back to my house from the shops !

My current bike is a Trek 7.5FX with a Cyclotricity front hub motor kit and an upgraded de-restriced controller on it and I have been pleaseantly suprosed by how capable it has been, however it would be nowhere near suitable for what I want to use on the cargo bike.

So far I am thinking a Bafang BB02 kit might be a good option. This would give me good torque, but still pull through the gears to a reasonable speed. All the weight is low in the frame, and it looks fairly small and unobtrusive with the integrated controller, and should be a fairly straight forward install.
I have also read good reviews about these motors.

I found this UK site with a 750w version of the mid-drive for £400
http://www.custom-ebikes.com/bafang-bbs02-750w-mid-drive-motor/

They also supply this battery
http://www.custom-ebikes.com/48v-11-6ah-frame-mount-black-samsung-cells/

Your opinions and experience would be greatlt appreciated.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
A cheaper alternative would be a Bafang BPM/CST 500w hub motor in the front or rear. With a 20ah battery you would be looking at £650 (ish) by the time you paid taxes/postage etc.

My CST bike will happily drag my 18st (110 kg) up hills, and I'm often towing a six year old on his bike, probably another 40 kg.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Anyone got a cargo bike on here such a EZEE Yuba want to comment, or people with a 350/750 mid drive about their experiences ?

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the reply. Anyone got a cargo bike on here such a EZEE Yuba want to comment, or people with a 350/750 mid drive about their experiences ?
We have supplied people with the eZee powered Yuba el Mundo but like most of our customers non of them are forum members.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have repaired and ridden an ezee kit fitted to a Madsen Bucket bike.

I liked the ezee kit. Plenty of torque, reasonable top speed.

I would say it was comparable to a BPM 201 RPM, running at 22amps.

C

Cyclezee

I have repaired and ridden an ezee kit fitted to a Madsen Bucket bike.

I liked the ezee kit. Plenty of torque, reasonable top speed.

I would say it was comparable to a BPM 201 RPM, running at 22amps.
If the kit fitted to the Madsen was more than 2 years old it must have had the V1 eZee 250 rpm motor with 20amp controller, the current V2 is more powerful.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If the kit fitted to the Madsen was more than 2 years old it must have had the V1 eZee 250 rpm motor with 20amp controller, the current V2 is more powerful.
Yup, it was the v1. We put a KU93 controller on it, so it was a bit more powerful when we'd finished with it.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
A cheaper alternative would be a Bafang BPM/CST 500w hub motor in the front or rear. With a 20ah battery you would be looking at £650 (ish) by the time you paid taxes/postage etc.
What is the current EZEE motor, battery, controller etc like compared with a BPM 500w motor kit as speccd' in your reply above ?
I must admit I would prefer not to import, only because Im worried about returns and getting a motor with the wrong code etc.
I have also seen a MAC 12Tmotor
http://www.custom-ebikes.com/mac-hi-torque-motor-26/
for sale in this country, but I havent read as much about these motors.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The CST 500w will run up to 30A, and they only make it in one variant (270 RPM i think) which is good for about 23 mph.

When you compare the price advantage in buying from China, you will see why some of us are happy to risk it. I have never had a major problem with BMSbattery.com, and I've bought a fair amount of stuff.

Others might be able to advise how the CST compares to the Ezee kit. I would be very surprised if anyone thinks the CST inferior to the Ezee in performance.

Elecman

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2012
Must admit I'm still very interested in the Bafang BB02 750W after reading some of the comments and reviews on endless sphere, it looks a great little drive.