Carrera Vengeance ebike battery charger clicking

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Customers have up to 6 years to make a claim for an item they’ve bought from you (5 years in Scotland).

as these things are expensive esp the batts id try take it back to halfords tell them the above and if dont want to play ball take them to small claims court.

if under 1k you can do it online and just pay the court fee.

my original bosch batt is still working and was new in 2014 and hammered the crap out of it.

rajeshtailor

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2020
Customers have up to 6 years to make a claim for an item they’ve bought from you (5 years in Scotland).

as these things are expensive esp the batts id try take it back to halfords tell them the above and if dont want to play ball take them to small claims court.

if under 1k you can do it online and just pay the court fee.

my original bosch batt is still working and was new in 2014 and hammered the crap out of it.
I think I am to blame here, the manuals do state the storage instructions when not in use I think me leaving the battery to die on the bike unused for over 9 months has contributed to the failure.

rajeshtailor

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2020
I was looking at Controllers and found this one, would it be suitable for my bike with some manual wiring to the existing motor of course:

And was thinking this battery:

Would this combo work?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want to go down the route of a new controller will it fit (size wise )in the same place as the present one ?
Or is the current one integrated in to the battery carrier/base ?

There are three types of controllers;
TS models requiring a new TS BB as well, like mid drives they sense the rider input pressure on the cranks.
Cheap box /display combo types that have no power control (known as speed controllers) they give max power/current all the time with max speed limit set for each power/assist level. Riding tends to be a big shove in the back all the time till you reach the speed cut off of the PAS level.
Other controllers use current control and one can obtain max speed cut off in each power/assist level, the difference is one can choose how much power /current they need to boost them along.

Cheap controller are Brainpower and other weird name controllers.
The better brand current controllers are KT(Kuenteng) or LSW (Lishui) brands.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
First thing I would do as the bike has been dormant is to some how confirm the motor halls are good other wise the motor may not work with sinewave sensored controllers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller/display linked to is a Brainpower model with limited current control of 13a, one might want a controller giving up to 17 - 20a for better torque and hill climbing.
One will also need a crank cadence PAS sensor for non TS systems.

rajeshtailor

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2020
So I phoned Halfords this morning told them the situation and they asked me to bring in the battery and they’ll take a look and replace it if necessary. Let’s see what they say.

in the meantime I’ll continue to research batteries.

rajeshtailor

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2020
So Halfords phoned and said the battery looks like it has been opened so the warranty is now void they can’t do anything.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
did you check the cell bank voltages from the sense cable ? as if every bank of cells shows 0v id not reuse that bms as it should not do that and should have a sleep mode to protect the cells.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some users have had issues with KTV12L, 8 or 10 pole two piece PAS set up tend to be ore reliable.
6 mosfet 20a controller I was using is ok on town bike etc, on flat terrain. When I had it on my touring bike on 160km rides it would over heat on steep inclines at slow speeds in PAS 5 and thermally would cut out. This in the main was due to my cadence which isn't very high ( max 60 - 70 rpm).
Changing to 9 fet sinewave works much better for me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does the existing BB have the interface for the KTV12L to fit in to the BB face ?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Some users have had issues with KTV12L, 8 or 10 pole two piece PAS set up tend to be ore reliable.
6 mosfet 20a controller I was using is ok on town bike etc, on flat terrain. When I had it on my touring bike on 160km rides it would over heat on steep inclines at slow speeds in PAS 5 and thermally would cut out. This in the main was due to my cadence which isn't very high ( max 60 - 70 rpm).
Pswpower seem to get mentioned often on here. When they say samsung cells inside, is that to be relied on?

rajeshtailor

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2020
Is this kind of PAS any good?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BB is a bottom bracket, if planning on sing the existing Suntour one (less the wiring) then it will need to accept/accommodate the V12L which needs to be firmly held by pressing in to the BB face. Have a close look the V12L mating face to see.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pswpower seem to get mentioned often on here. When they say samsung cells inside, is that to be relied on?
Yes.
Which cell spec is used one would have to check the finer details.