Carry a passenger on my bike

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
"although the Companion Bike Seat attaches to the seat post with a "hinged" turn-buckle, so it will provide a little movement for the suspension"

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Well, it sounds like there is only one way to find out ... and that's to get a willing and game 'companion' to try it out. Knee and elbow pads at the ready ....

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Well it would work on a flat road as the suspension isn't doing anything then. On a bumpy road it will be interesting to see what breaks first ~ it is a rigid structure, you are locking up the suspension.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You won't be able to get passenger insurance cover cwah, so you must warn any passenger that they are carried at their own risk. Use a printed slip handed to them for this to help prove you warned them, since the consequences of an accident could bankrupt you.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I finally purchased it for 190USD....

Hope I won't have problems with customs.

Will arrive next month... I'll keep everyone in touch and I plan to install it to my dahon jetstream

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I'm quoting the seller
"We've had a bike seat on a full suspension bicycle and it worked great. As long as you are riding on flat roads, there isn't any issue at all. The passenger on the bike seat won't get the benefit of the suspension, but the cushion is well-padded and it's still a comfortable ride."
The seller is an idiot.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think that there will be a crash,but something will break - probably the Dahon frame, which are not noted for their strength. In fact you can see that Cwah's has already broken once.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Folders geometry usually makes them a bit prone to wheelies. With a passenger's weight directly over the rear wheel and even slightly to the rear of the rear wheel spindle, I can see a passenger ending up on their back in the road when cwah shoves on a pedal to get off the mark with the combined weight.

On an upslope that outcome is even more likely.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Come on guys, can't you encourage me a little bit?

That's the only decent bike seat I've managed to find!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Come on guys, can't you encourage me a little bit?

That's the only decent bike seat I've managed to find!
OK cwah buy 2 and fit the other on the front then you will be balanced and can carry 2 passengers - then you can see off all the doubting Thomas's :cool:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
No but seriously why not give it a go, we can all learn from your experiences.
Just one question ? As your looking to spend big money £200 plus by the time you've paid taxes etc
Why not just buy your friend a bike:D

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ maybe she likes to be 'driven' :D

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The seat post is being shipped... so just let see how that works...

I can't just buy my friends a bike because I don't have only one.... and no one can follow me with me bike... remember I'm a great sportsman ;)

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
No ones said the obvious solution. Passenger sits on the bike seat. You stand on the pedals and use your motor. It's not as if you need to pedal it like a normal bike.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
I think the safe bet is to have a T post made to fit 2 saddles and one person uses the left peddle and the right person uses uses the right:)
then both are in control:p and can blame the other if it all goes wrong.