carrying loads on bikes

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
For those who were impressed with Flecc's recycling trailer picture, this site is worth a look to see what can be done.
There's also the ultimate rear view mirror!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant site Frank. :)

I've previously published this picture which is also in that site to show just how puny my efforts are in England.

What I would dearly love to be able to do is to fetch that lot over to Britain with their loads and have them cycle down some of our streets. :D

It's the police reaction I'd most enjoy.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Love it. Very good.

Reminds of a quote I once heard someone say about why they wouldn't drive in India at night. When saying to their friend about their concerns that a headlight coming towards them could never be guaranteed to be a bike or scooter rather rather a truck with only one working light, they got the cheerful reply 'Or it could be two scooters carrying a wardrobe' :D. I assure you that isn't quite as daft a suggestion over there as you might think!

Phil

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Love it. Very good.

Reminds of a quote I once heard someone say about why they wouldn't drive in India at night. When saying to their friend about their concerns that a headlight coming towards them could never be guaranteed to be a bike or scooter rather rather a truck with only one working light, they got the cheerful reply 'Or it could be two scooters carrying a wardrobe' :D. I assure you that isn't quite as daft a suggestion over there as you might think!

Phil
A few years ago I was working in Bombay (as it was then called) and the opposite was true - the locals would ONLY drive at night, and during the day would travel everywhere by cheap taxi, as it was considered foolhardy to risk damage to a decent car. Of course what you say is probably true of rural areas, but a major Indian city in the daytime is unbelievable in terms of the volume of pedestrians, cattle, handcarts, double decker buses grafted onto lorry front ends, suicidal taxi drivers, bicycles, and every other type of conveyance you could or maybe could not imagine in your wildest dreams....

Rog.

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
In Orissa in eastern India the drivers normally drove without lights at night. The lights were kept in reserve as weapons. They were angled so that they shone into the eyes of oncoming drivers, and were just used at the last minute.

The roads often consisted of a single stip of tarmac just wide enough for one vehicle, with sandy margins either side. There was a battle of nerves to determine who owned the tarmac, and who ended up in the sand. At night the lights and the horn played a large part in these battles.

The taxi drivers would also refuse to use windscreen wipers when it rained. I never managed to see any sense in that either.

It was genuinely dangerous on the roads. After ten Indian trips with about a year in the country I had been in four minor car crashes.

Not the least of these was when a little piglet ran out into the road from the bushes. It was followed by larger and larger pigs in a line. We avoided all but the last and largest pig. A big pig is a pretty solid object. The taxi shuddered and then reared up and shot over it in a Bluesmobile leap. I looked back and saw the pig man waving his arms in the air as we disappeared down the road. I wanted to go back and talk to him, but the driver refused on safety grounds.

Last edited:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I did the Enduro India trip on and Enfield 350 a couple of years ago. Lots of riding both in towns and cities and in the mountains of southwest India. It was quite an experience :) .
Those with a death wish will love it...highly recommended (but don't go if want a comfy or restful holiday) :D .
Phil

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I did the Enduro India trip on and Enfield 350 a couple of years ago. Lots of riding both in towns and cities and in the mountains of southwest India. It was quite an experience :) .
Those with a death wish will love it...highly recommended (but don't go if want a comfy or restful holiday) :D .
Phil
Well, you would have absolutely no problems if you needed spare parts! As with many things, they have a wonderful talent for resurrecting apparently 'dead' technology and making it work again.....

Rog.