Case studies - how has your electric bike changed your life?

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Hi everyone

I’m looking to publish a few stories on the home page ‘news’ area to give examples of the various reasons people buy one and therefore the benefits of e-bikes.

We had this great example a few months back of getting heart-patient Nick back in the saddle. I’d really like a whole host more to show all the different reasons to spur others on in similar situations to try an e-bike.

Dodgy knees, cracking on a bit (it comes to us all!), wanting to get fit, commuting, other health issues.. I’d like to publish people’s experiences in their own words. How they chose their bike, what they do with it, how it’s changed their lives. It certainly doesn’t have to be expertly written and I’d like to show ‘every day’ people with ‘every day’ problems, as well as anything more unusual that their e-bike has overcome, hopefully with a picture of you and your bike too.

I have PMd a couple of members already discussing their experiences on here, so still hoping they’re not going to be shy..

Similarly if any businesses are using e-bikes I’d like to hear about that too.

Please PM me if you'd like to share your story.

Thanks everyone :)

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Thanks to Mike for sharing his story here. This is the best bit for me, hearing of the benefits electric bikes bring to different people, just the freedom really.. We'd love to publish more so please do PM me if you'd like to tell us about you and your bike.

mr-motorvator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2007
I had an incomplete quadriplegic spinal injury from a cycling accident in 1995. I was back home in 6 months with some very wobbly walking. My family and friends were great: anytime I needed a lift I just called but after a few months I really wanted my independence back.

I worked in IT and had Internet access so I 'discovered' electric cycling in 1997. Soon I tracked down Cresswell Engineering. who designed the Tri-1 (now made by Pashley). I bought the model with a fold and had it fitted with a motor system and before long I was able to go out on my own whenever I wanted.

After 12 months I could drive again and I chose a 5-door hatchback that would take the tricycle. I returned to work and as my confidence and health returned I got back to 2 wheels in 2000 so I could have a long holiday in America, buying a bike from Scott McGregor at EVDeals.

Since then I designed my own electric solutions and in 2006 I designed the nano Brompton. This became my 'legs' for any journey more than 50 yards but it became obvious that able cyclist wanted one too. I got it into manufacture and more than 500 have been shipped to date. I focus on building bikes to meet special needs and I get a real boost helping folks like me get independent again.

Tony Castles

VIP2006

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2013
Being a new member of this forum, and have just purchased my first eBike. How has it changed my life. First the question of age enters the scene and I am now having to consider how to get nearer to my subject when out on a Photography shoot. Second and most important my wife has just died and now have to tackle everything that a married couple had to do by myself. My wife and I had discussed getting bikes (bearing in mind that we (were fast approaching our 80's ) I have now given up the comforts of touring with a caravan and have bought a bike, I am now to buy a bike rack and a small tent and intend to get away by myself when the Spring comes along. Well how has buying a E-Bike changed me. The main thing it allows me to get nearer my subject and to keep on enjoying the outdoor life a while longer. Just as the Caravan mover helped to keep caravanning the bike will assist in my Landscape Photography - I will keep the reader informed.

Johnderh

Dec 16, 2013
Hi , i have not bought my bike yet but have a running dialog with 50cycles regarding the kalkhoff bs10 :) i live in norway & have just recovered from cancer & have made up my mind to do the 12 kilometer trip to work from aporox march month i will use jan & feb for trying & info gathering , i would be more than willing to share my progress & thoughts with members , just feel so geared about getting started ...

rumath

Just Joined
Jan 5, 2014
What bike

Hi , i have not bought my bike yet but have a running dialog with 50cycles regarding the kalkhoff bs10 :) i live in norway & have just recovered from cancer & have made up my mind to do the 12 kilometer trip to work from aporox march month i will use jan & feb for trying & info gathering , i would be more than willing to share my progress & thoughts with members , just feel so geared about getting started ...
Hey.

Thinking of buying my first Ebike too John, and i also live in Norway. What bike dis you buy?

Regards

Rune

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Rather buying here in the UK, have you tried somewhere closer to home....EVO Bikes Electric Vehicle Oslo - Hjem

Also if you have access to Face Book, there appears to be a couple of other dealers when using links via the BH FB page. If you follow the links, the shops appear to sell other bikes besides the BH range bikes. From my experience, I certainly wouldn't recommend buying any BH bike though. https://www.facebook.com/BHEmotionNorge?ref=profile

Last edited:
Reactions: M1watch

ninatee

Jan 18, 2014
Hi, My electric bike really did change my life, it gave me my independence and freedom back. I have never owned a car, I simply cannot afford one. I wish I had discovered electric bikes years ago!! A year and a half ago I moved to a new city for a new job - I have M.E so this was a big move for me, getting back into work after years on benefits and living in a village. I struggled with a push bike until it suddenly dawned on me that electric bikes existed! I got a chinese scooter style bike for £260 off an elderly lady on ebay, absolute bargain and it changed my life. Having my electric bike meant I could come and go to work as I needed, I could go shopping by myself, I could travel to see friends easily, I could run around the park with the dog on my bike, I could pop out and do chores easily... the list goes on. I can't tell you how much I loved my bike!! It made all the things that I struggled with, fun again. And just riding it was so much fun, I'd be laughing while I'm riding around sometimes just because it makes me so happy :D Sadly... just before xmas, just as I'd got a new battery and lights fitted, It got stolen. My heart sank. I tried not to let it bother me but it made my life miserable and such hard work again. The 6 weeks without my bike have been horrible... no fresh food in the house, relying on other people to buy me things or take me out, no popping up the road to see my friends, waiting at bus stops in the freezing rain, having to walk all over town to get to the right places.... Luckily I have managed to get myself a new, folding bike, so I can now take it into work and not have to leave it out on the street to get stolen again. I haven't been out on it yet as I still need new lights etc, but I am so happy and lucky to have yet another amazing electric bike... once I get going again there will be no stopping me!!

I would recommend everyone has an electric bike, they're amazing!

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
After my first commute on my Cyclotricity Stealth I actually shed a tear because it is a life changer for me. I'm nearly 56 and too many marathons & half marathons have taken their toll on me and I now have advanced arthritis in my spine, hips & knees and I have to use a walking stick sometimes. I have continued cycle commuting every week day for 18 months even though some parts of my journey have killed me and then I decided on the Cyclotricity Stealth because it looks like a normal bike. I really can't exaggerate how happy I am and everybody has noticed I arrive at work & home sweating more than usual but this is because I can put the effort in where I want to and then have a push on the bits that kill me so overall I'm getting a more efficient workout. I only use my car once a week on a Friday or Saturday if I'm going out but all other times I will just get on my bike saving so much in fuel etc. For example my Mum lives two miles away which is a steep hill down for a mile and then a steep hill up for a mile but I just get on the Stealth now.

JohnWils

Jan 7, 2014
After my first commute on my Cyclotricity Stealth I actually shed a tear because it is a life changer for me. I'm nearly 56 and too many marathons & half marathons have taken their toll on me and I now have advanced arthritis in my spine, hips & knees and I have to use a walking stick sometimes. I have continued cycle commuting every week day for 18 months even though some parts of my journey have killed me and then I decided on the Cyclotricity Stealth because it looks like a normal bike. I really can't exaggerate how happy I am and everybody has noticed I arrive at work & home sweating more than usual but this is because I can put the effort in where I want to and then have a push on the bits that kill me so overall I'm getting a more efficient workout. I only use my car once a week on a Friday or Saturday if I'm going out but all other times I will just get on my bike saving so much in fuel etc. For example my Mum lives two miles away which is a steep hill down for a mile and then a steep hill up for a mile but I just get on the Stealth now.

JohnWils

Jan 7, 2014
What a sorry state this country is in - I read many opinions about e.bikes and what strikes me most is the shear lack of empathy many have been brought up with. To make it worse the beaurocrats actually take notice of these by implementing more rules against the use of them - three big cheers for Boris Johnson who battles on with campaign's for them. We are in our late sixties and very fit and active, towing our caravan around France. Alas the hot weather and hilly terrain around the Med got the better of my wife so this year I have fitted an 8Fun mid drive unit and it is fantastic and fun to ride. It has put a sparkle back into her cycling. We see people riding around in those small carts but we would feel like invalids in those things. The important thing is that converted bikes are light enough to be carried on the back of our caravan or car and we can get to places where only a bike can go - ours are mountain bikes so we do need helmets - the wife says they spoil her hair do but I think she looks very sexy in hers. The 8Fun motor its just under the crank - very neat and quiet too. It has the ability to accelerate easily uphill's by changing the normal pedal gears and with the 80nm power available with a 1 - 9 power variation we can really stretch out the battery range. Switching off when going downhill or on easy level ground. Best of all it only cost £500 including the battery - cheaper than our surf boards.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
My problem was pretty minor - plantar fasciitis, caused by too much walking. The cure is A) wear a night splint for a week or so and B) walk a lot less for a while, and a bit less for a long while. But I wanted to still go out geocaching, so I started using the bike, because it doesn't aggravate the condition.

Now I'd much rather bike round a circuit that walk. Or park outside a town, bike into it and spend the day biking around the town.

I've been ebiking for six years now, and I still get the big grin when I'm zooming down a bridleway.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
When we had Kids, I stopped running. I used to get up at 5am and run up the hill and back in the mountain bike park over the road from my house. I just have no time now! Two BUSY boys!

So my E-bike means I can ride to work and back, and only take 50 minutes per week longer than driving. Plus the time I used to spend driving is now "exercise" time - It's a win-win.

I don't think I'd have been fit enough to ride all the way to work and back without the assist (we have STEEP hills!). The time spent on my bike means I get MORE exercise each week, but less LESS of my family time to do it!

I leave home at 615AM, shower and dress at work, and am home my 4PM.

I've also lost 20KG since my "Christmas Peak". I could lose another 20 though!

(Also, paid parking is being introduced at work... not for bikes though:cool:)

I REALLY enjoy ebiking to work!

£2.49

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2013
What a sorry state this country is in - I read many opinions about e.bikes and what strikes me most is the shear lack of empathy many have been brought up with. To make it worse the beaurocrats actually take notice of these by implementing more rules against the use of them - three big cheers for Boris Johnson who battles on with campaign's for them. We are in our late sixties and very fit and active, towing our caravan around France. Alas the hot weather and hilly terrain around the Med got the better of my wife so this year I have fitted an 8Fun mid drive unit and it is fantastic and fun to ride. It has put a sparkle back into her cycling. We see people riding around in those small carts but we would feel like invalids in those things. The important thing is that converted bikes are light enough to be carried on the back of our caravan or car and we can get to places where only a bike can go - ours are mountain bikes so we do need helmets - the wife says they spoil her hair do but I think she looks very sexy in hers. The 8Fun motor its just under the crank - very neat and quiet too. It has the ability to accelerate easily uphill's by changing the normal pedal gears and with the 80nm power available with a 1 - 9 power variation we can really stretch out the battery range. Switching off when going downhill or on easy level ground. Best of all it only cost £500 including the battery - cheaper than our surf boards.
The 8fun crank drive sounds great. I have been thinking about fitting one to my cargo bike for a while. Where did you buy the kit? I know Whoosh bikes sell the crank but with no battery. Because i'm not much of a mechanic i would feel much more confident buying a complete kit.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have a few age related bits and bobs going on, but my e-bike has, or should I say is, helping me overcome the most serious which is the mental hurdle of being unable to cycle up hills! Only yesterday I came upon a fairly long hill, and had to think twice before making the attempt... As it happens getting up there was really easy so it would seem that the mental block is still a work in progress.
If I could rename my bike it would be "Liberator"

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
theres nothing physically wrong with me (reasonably fit 43 yr old) so e biking is either cos I'm a lazy sod or because I enjoy the distance i can cover quickly - even at 15.5 mph, its amazing how soon your desination appears.
I also want to get to work without sweating like a pig, walking miles or sitting on a bus every day getting fatter.
With e bikes you still get the exercise and I will turn it off on the journey home from work.
It will get me out on the bike more readily than the push bike.
I now don't drive a car loosing my license to a very slight vision impairment. This beats sitting in traffic any day....might not be saying that come the winter months mind...

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I often set off for a steady ride to see how far I can eek out the battery, but as soon as there is some competition its into turbo mode and ride as hard as I can. Surprisingly doing this doesn't use loads of juice as its so quickly up to 15.5mph and pedal on without the help! If anyone thinks this is an easy way of cycling my HR goes through the roof which means I am working hard.
Or, to put it into perspective..
When I am stopped at the lights or the local railway crossing, in Turbo mode I can easily leave the fittest young licralist behind on acceleration alone and it takes them a goodly while to catch me up,but if there's a hill or two, I can definitely stay in front much longer,(imagine this.. You are 25, pumped up, on your 3 ounce 5 grand racer, and some old geezer on a mountain bike with panniers on leaves you behind!) but last week I was at the lights with another pensioner on a road bike, and from his point of view I was gone in 60 seconds, never to be seen again!!
So my e-bike allows me to compete (even if its only in my head) and gives me a much better work out than plodding along on my lightweight roady which has become a bit boring, especially if there is a head wind...
I agree with Geebee... give it some stick and crack on .