Cassette wear?

Aki

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2019
Hi
I had a similar problems in the past with my cassette.
There are commercial tools available to check for sprocket wear,but I check mine with the blunt end of a 10mm twist drill bit .
If the sprocket is in good order the 10mm drill bit will fit snugly in the valley between the teeth and will not rattle side to side.
Try it on a gear you don't often use for reference.
If there is anything more than a slight bit of play your cassette is on the way out .

I change my chains at 0.5% wear and find the cassettes last a much longer.

If you dont fancy the 10mm drill route,putting a new chain on will confirm a worn cassette , the new chain will jump more than the old one did on a worn cassette.

If your chain and sprockets do turn out to be OK , the ratchet in your free-hub may be slipping occasionally this can feel like your chain is jumping.

Anyway good luck

Paul

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id say the chain is to short.
DSC_0111.JPG
DSC_0189_02.JPG

Reactions: Avc97

Avc97

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2020
Update: I’ve taken the bike to the shop I purchased it from, have just spoken to them and they’ve confirmed it’s a problem with the motor and are awaiting replacement parts from Giant.
Thanks everyone for your help.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi
I had a similar problems in the past with my cassette.
There are commercial tools available to check for sprocket wear,but I check mine with the blunt end of a 10mm twist drill bit .
If the sprocket is in good order the 10mm drill bit will fit snugly in the valley between the teeth and will not rattle side to side.
Try it on a gear you don't often use for reference.
If there is anything more than a slight bit of play your cassette is on the way out .

I change my chains at 0.5% wear and find the cassettes last a much longer.

If you dont fancy the 10mm drill route,putting a new chain on will confirm a worn cassette , the new chain will jump more than the old one did on a worn cassette.

If your chain and sprockets do turn out to be OK , the ratchet in your free-hub may be slipping occasionally this can feel like your chain is jumping.

Anyway good luck

Paul
That's a ridiculous test. The teeth and valleys on cassettes are all different shapes to aid shifting.