caught for speeding with radar gun

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Don't know what he was fined for exactly - it certainly was not hitting the curb or cycling in the royal parks.
To be honest I think most police officers in their right mind would stop Jeremy Vine just for being Jeremy Vine - you could call it suspicious behaviour!:)

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
It was from Movember last year. The aviators were an idea from the marketing manager!
I wondered if it was a Movember shot but I thought your date of joining probably precluded it! Good 'tache! I could try for 3 months and still have nowhere near anything like that - on the plus side I only have to shave every 4 days or so to stop people noticing!

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
yup - so the Movember comment is a bit confusing now, unless you grew ET out of your handlebars for Movember and he was wearing aviators!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then could someone explain:
a) how one of my friends was fined for doing 40 in a 30 after coming down a large hill and being caught with a speed gun?
He could have been fined for a cycling offence, reckless riding for example, but not expressly for speeding since that law does not apply to bicycles being part of the motor vehicle law. But of course the speed measure could be used as evidence of recklessness. Conversely in that instance he could have argued that his action was not dangerous or reckless and provided evidence that it wasn't. It seems he may have failed to arrange an adequate defence if he was convicted only on that evidence.

b) How you can fail your driving test for not knowing parts of the Highway Code if it is "only guidance"?
Because the driving test law says so, making that specific usage for the driving test legal. That doesn't open the door to other uses of the Highway Code for all other forms of prosecution.

Reactions: the_killjoy

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Guys it is best to 'view' the HWC is as a book explaining the rules of the road as developed by road traffic law, see page 37 of the official DSA guide to 'Driving, the essential skills' which all new drivers need to read.

Many of the rules in the HWC are legal requirements (distinguished from the advisory ones by the use of MUST and MUST NOT) however the advisory rules can still be used in court proceedings to establish liability and support prosecutions under the road traffic act(s), see p38 of 'Driving'.

Also, the driving test is split into two parts, it would be very unfortunate to 'fail' it just on not knowing parts of the HWC alone and in any case it would affect the Theory part 1 test only. You are not quizzed on it during the practical part 2 test as you are assumed to understand it by passing the part 1 test. HTH...

Oh and Hi Flecc I hope you are well!

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi NRG, good to see you post again, it's been a long, long time! I'm well thanks but don't spend as much time in the forum these days and make many less posts than my former 10 to 12 a day.

Other interests and having a bit of a break the reasons.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
The path that he pulled over on, I know very well, as I cycle there on occasional ride in to town from Nth london...it runs parallel to the Serpentine lake, and is divided into pedestrians and cyclists....its usually clogged with Boris Bikes, riding on the wrong side of the path by UK standards, but most folk are for-eye-ners, so it to be expected..
I have never seen any speed restriction signs, BUT from the video he may have been cycling on the wrong side of the dividing line, and in Pedestrian space, but may have just been avoiding some other crazies
it is a very quick piece of path, as it is downhill!