Caught Out By The Ice

BLADERUNNER

Pedelecer
May 5, 2008
Hi all,
taking my usual route to work on my mk 1 torq i hit some ice and my bike went into a big slide.Me and my bike both went down with a crash.It felt like i had taken the brunt of the accident;having suffered only a sore arm and upper leg,so i guess i was quite lucky.In fact it is my pride that has been damaged the most! I am cross with myself for not anticipating the road conditions,so next time i will take greater care.

I soon realised that all was not well with the bike.The rear mud guard was broken and the front brake binding.On further investigation i noticed that it was a buckled wheel that was the problem.I was surprised at this because i did'nt actually crash into anything!

When i took my bike to the local shop they did'nt want to touch it,so i was wondering if anyone could offer any advice, or point me in the direction of a shop that is willing to fix my wheel.I live in Glossop, Derbyshire but i am willing to travel to get my poorly bike fixed.

Many Thanks
Russell

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear of your accident Russell. If someone doesn't come up with a local recommendation, try a local Powabyke dealer or service centre since thet are used to working on motorised front wheels.

Here's the webpage for the Powabyke dealer directory. You'll see there's only Hawk Cycles in Derbyshire, an approved service centre, but there may be others over the county border which could be more convenient:

Powabyke dealer directory

BLADERUNNER

Pedelecer
May 5, 2008
Thanks for the link fiecc.
Just out of interest,is this a job i could do myself, or something that is best left to an expert?

Cheers
Russell

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Hi all,
. . . taking my usual route to work on my mk 1 torq i hit some ice and my bike went into a big slide.Me and my bike both went down with a crash. . .
After the recent spate of punctures reported on this forum, many will have taken heed of the advice to keep the tyres well pumped up to the maximum recommended air pressure, (besides the benefit of resisting punctures better, it also offers lower rolling resistance, and hence swifter progress).

However it's now alarming to read of the number of falls some forum members are experiencing, now almost being reported on a daily basis.

So, it's timely to reiterate that for icy road conditions, and for safety reasons alone, you need to lower the air pressure in your tyres considerably. Okay, the risk of punctures goes up massively, and it's a heavier drain on the battery due to the heightened rolling resistance, but it might offer the potential for slightly improved grip on icy roads. So, if anyone is feeling guilty in riding long past since they should have pumped their tyres up a bit more, then don't - but as soon as icy road conditions relent - then it's back to keeping 'em pumped up hard.

. . .Just out of interest,is this a job i could do myself, or something that is best left to an expert?
On this occasion Russell; no - leave it to an experienced wheel-builder.
But long term yes, you could manage it yourself. And you start by practising on an old discarded wheel-set, of no value, where the final results don't have to be endured on your bike.

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Sound advice Danny. I've been running mine on lower pressure the last few weeks. Well ok I just haven't bothered pumping them up..

Bad luck Bladerunner. I hate the thought of damaging the "precious" so it's been safely tucked away in the garage this week. I'm not too keen on this winter cycling malarkey. Brrrrhhh... I'm off for a Beechams.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Watch out for black ice and yellow rice, my bike nearly came a cropper coming home at 7am, they say no ice tommorow thanks be to god.

thx

Bob

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
I've not been brave enough to ride when there's been ice risk on roads and when riding farm track the other day I had to walk a fair bit at side as there was so much ice on track. Trying to find a way to keep riding and have some confidence in ice I've come across this link;

CTC Forum :: View topic - Schwalbe Marathon Winter Tyres

I can't find the Schwalbe Marathon Winter (studded tyres) mentioned over here so am going to order some from Germany as the CTC poster did and give them a try. Quite pricey at £75 ish posted but probably easy todo that much damage to bike and alot more to self so potentially still good value.

BLADERUNNER

Pedelecer
May 5, 2008
Thanks for all the advice an info.
I think from now on i will alter my route and stick to treated roads only .It might take me a few minutes longer,but at least i should get there in one piece.
Just got to get my bike fixed now!
Cheers
Russell

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've not been brave enough to ride when there's been ice risk on roads and when riding farm track the other day I had to walk a fair bit at side as there was so much ice on track. Trying to find a way to keep riding and have some confidence in ice I've come across this link;

CTC Forum :: View topic - Schwalbe Marathon Winter Tyres

I can't find the Schwalbe Marathon Winter (studded tyres) mentioned over here so am going to order some from Germany as the CTC poster did and give them a try. Quite pricey at £75 ish posted but probably easy todo that much damage to bike and alot more to self so potentially still good value.
A couple here have ordered Schwalbe snow stud tyres which seems quite well suited to the mixed conditions here and importantly half the price of the Marathons. :D I've been off sick for a few days so the big test will be at 5am on Monday if the forecast warmer spell hasn't arrived.
I got the last 2 from Wiggle and it looks like you might be a bit late to find any UK shop with them in stock.

Edit:
I forgot to add, there are different types of frost offering different grip levels and you can't guess frost by the air temperature forecast.
I find this site good for the extra details:
Will it be Frosty? Frost and Ice Forecast - Netweather.tv;

Last edited:

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
I second the recommendation for Langsett Cycles in Sheffield. They rebuilt the front wheel containing the Suzhou Bafang motor from my bike without any hesitation, and did a fantastic job.

BLADERUNNER

Pedelecer
May 5, 2008
I think i will give Langsett Cycles a call.They are about an hours drive from me, so hopefully they can fix the wheel the same day.

I have suggested to my wife that we could visit the Meadow Hall shopping centre at the same time.Could be an expensive repair! LOL

Russell