Help! Centerdrive motor making wierd sounds?

Str1kez

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2023
Hi
I recently got a new e-bike, and just recently noticed that the motor is making a lot of noise when pedalling backwards. I don't know if it is normal for this motor to sound like this, or i should contact Yamaha through my Local Bike Shop?
Anyone else who have had this issue, if so, how did you resolve it?

Check the sound out here:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats not right at all and id not ride it like that either if it has warranty dont touch it and get them to replace the motor as that is all that the dealer can do

Str1kez

Mar 20, 2023
thats not right at all and id not ride it like that either if it has warranty dont touch it and get them to replace the motor as that is all that the dealer can do
Oh, okay. I will take it to the dealer as soon as possible. It has only ridden 100 km, so might be a problem with QC?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
these things either work for years or implode in weeks/months could be a faulty part that has broken but even tho yamaha sell motor parts under warranty the hole motor gets replaced.

Str1kez

Mar 20, 2023
these things either work for years or implode in weeks/months could be a faulty part that has broken but even tho yamaha sell motor parts under warranty the hole motor gets replaced.
Okay, sounds great. Have you had experience with Yamaha warrenty replacements?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no but it could take a week or 2 just depends on the dealer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

if you want it fixed asap then talk to peter but he will say get it replaced under warranty or he might be able to get it replaced faster if he has one in stock.

Reactions: Str1kez

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
Reactions: Str1kez

Str1kez

Mar 20, 2023
Don't pedal it backwards. Why do that anyway?
I don't really during riding anyways - Just did while parking the bike, and noticed that it sounded diffrent.
It's covered by Yamaha's warrenty, so might want to try and see if they will cover it.

Reactions: jimriley