Chain alignment ?

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Hi guys and galls (any reference to a famous person now demised is not intended, but simply used as a generic greeting)

My folding bike conversion is coming along nicely.. but a point arises that I'd sooner attend to now rather than after the build is complete.

Looking at the chain from above, on which of my 6 gears should the chain be straight from the chain wheel, I've been arguing the pros and cons with my self and can't decide which is more valid than another.

So input is required .. I give up, what's the answer please :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not at all critical, the efficiency loss from derailleur chain misalignment is miniscule. For optimum gear changing across all gears it's best aligned to between the centre two sprockets of the six. For optimum efficiency you can align with the sprockets you most use, normally top gear on an e-bike. Of these two options, I think the first is best, it gives the best user gain.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm with Flecc. I'm sure there's a theoretical optimum position, which depends on which gears you use the most, but, after changing loads of free-wheels, cassettes, chainwheels, derailleurs, etc, and building a few bikes from scratch, I've never given it any serious cosideration other than a casual glance, and I've never had a problem, nor had to replace anything because of wear or any other reason.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Thank you for your replys

Currently the chain appears to be straight at 5th rather than 3 1/2th so I will take the advice, learn to stop worrying and not be ordering / making or fitting any shims ;)

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Thank you for your replys

Currently the chain appears to be straight at 5th rather than 3 1/2th so I will take the advice, learn to stop worrying and not be ordering / making or fitting any shims ;)
It should be fine. Ride it and see how it is. Don't start shimming or spacing until you see how it performs.