Chain line

Spitfire1975

Just Joined
Oct 9, 2019
Good evening all, newbie here!
I've converted my GT pantera using a bafang bbs01 midrive unit. Problem is my chain line isn't great. Currently it has an 11 speed sram cassette, I was thinking of reducing the number of gears, possibly to a 5 speed in order to reduce the stress on the chain. Does anyone know of a cassette that I'd be able to do this with? The sram one I have is like a solid unit which looks like it couldn't be reconfigured. Any advice gratefully received.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The chainline doesn't matter as long as you can change gears and the chain doesn't keep coming off the chainwheel. A worn chain helps. You can use any cassette you want, but you'll need a shifter with the right number of speeds to go with it.

Spitfire1975

Just Joined
Oct 9, 2019
Would a offset lekkie bling ring help? Did with mine

I got mine from brighton ebikes

I already tried that, unfortunately it fouls the chainstays. Only option is to rebuild an 11 speed cassette as a 5 speed, or scrap this build altogether and get a different donee bike

Spitfire1975

Just Joined
Oct 9, 2019
I already tried that, unfortunately it fouls the chainstays. Only option is to rebuild an 11 speed cassette as a 5 speed, or scrap this build altogether and get a different donee bike
Obviously I'd prefer to rebuild the cassette, I'm sure I've read that some people have done this, just need to know how! Thanks for your responses so far though.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hmm

What about this

niggle

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2017
Cornwall, near England
Which way do you want to move the cassette and by how much? You can build custom cassettes from what you have now just by dismantling the cassette and removing the sprockets you don't want, then put spacers at one end to get your chainline right. Cassettes are usually held together by rivets or small screws, they are just there for convenience so you can grind of the rivet heads or unscrew the screws, you just have to put the sprockets back on the freehub one at a time. As long as you use the original spacers between the sprockets your current shifter and mech will work, but do reset your mech limit screws so that the chain cannot be over shifted at the ends of the cassette. Aim to get your most used 'cruising' gear roughly in line with the chainring, but don't worry about a mm or two either way, 11 speed chain can cope with plenty of deflection.

EDIT: spacers are available originally intended to space out a 7 speed cassette to fit on an 8+ speed freehub, or you can just cannibalise the spacers from a worn out cassette.