Chain ring adapter - Any good?

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
Apologies if this has been posted before

Has anyone any experience of the 104BCD chainwheel adapters on ebay? Does the lack of offset cause problems with the chainline?

Attachments

Reactions: Pedaluma

Pedaluma

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2020
Apologies if this has been posted before

Has anyone any experience of the 104BCD chainwheel adapters on ebay? Does the lack of offset cause problems with the chainline?
Yes. But an adapter called a spider may not be catastrophic. How many cogs in the cassette? How big or wide is the BB? Is it a boost 148? I like the NZ offerings from Lekkie Bling Ring to bring in the chainline so you can use all of the gears and not derail the front in low. These are nice, narrow/wide. Get a big one if you can because these will bring in the chain more and have higher gearing, as not destroy the fastest cog. Change chains often. .05% of stretch is no good, .075 is very bad. Watch that it is not so big that it hits the chainstay. For a powerful mid-drive stick with a 9-speed cassette or less for a stronger/wider chain.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used similar spider (if not the same one) on my BBS01 which let me have a 34 & 42t front set up, chain line for me was fine as I used Alfine hubs gears.

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
Unfortunately I took the punt, paid £12 for one and the chain line was just too extreme, with it jumping off 1st and 2nd gears.

I might look at spacing the 9sp cassette out a tad if it will allow it, or just consign it to a parts bin for the day I build another bike.

Cheers for the advice

Rich

Pedaluma

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2020
I used similar spider (if not the same one) on my BBS01 which let me have a 34 & 42t front set up, chain line for me was fine as I used Alfine hubs gears.
I love it!!! Shimano Alfine internal gears in the back with two rings in the front and a superior chain tensioner (not mentioned). This is tight! Brilliant. Thank you for the innovation. A one of a kind solution. What chain do you use on this build? Do you move the front a derailleur? More explicable with a finger using a SS 1/8 chain?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used a std KMC 9 spd chain and derailleur.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unfortunately I took the punt, paid £12 for one and the chain line was just too extreme, with it jumping off 1st and 2nd gears.

I might look at spacing the 9sp cassette out a tad if it will allow it, or just consign it to a parts bin for the day I build another bike.

Cheers for the advice

Rich
Yes some gears will be unobtainable with 2x set up with mid drive, cross chaining means not all gearing is accessible, I found low gears only available with the small ring and vice a versa though all should be usable in one way or another.