Chainring upgrade how many teeth

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Last year, I upgraded my chainring from a 48t to a 53t, the difference for me is enough that I now ride a gear lower than I used to, and never run out of gear in 7th. I used this handy tool to work out what effect it would have, btw.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
ebikes.ca sell 9-speed freewheels that are 11-32 tooth.
That looks very useful and I'd seriously consider it if I didn't have a hub geared bike on order.
For anyone else considering it experience has taught me to be wary, this is what I'd look out for if upgrading from 7 speed:
  • It needs a bigger gap between dropouts, from what I gather this is not simple on newer bikes.
  • The wheel may need to be dished further, from what SJS Cycles told me I don't think it will be easy or cheap with my SB motor.
  • The freewheel appears unbranded so it may be poor quality and the gear spacing may not be compatible with Shimano components, as it is sold as an upgrade for Ezee kits I would hope it is OK.
  • The gear shifting may not be as good as Shimano.
  • A new gear selector would be needed and possibly a new rear mech.
I think what I would probably go for is the seven speed 11-30 freewheel which comes with their Ezee kit, It's almost as good (much better than Shimano's 14-28) and if it doesn't work I haven't wasted a load of money.

Also consider freewheel removers, different brands (and sometimes models) need different tools and the Shimano one seems the best by far. I had to cut up my Sun Tour freewheel with a Dremel and then use mulgrips to unscrew it, no easy task. I had to remove it as the gaps between gears are very slightly different and threw the system out. :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
  • The wheel may need to be dished further, from what SJS Cycles told me I don't think it will be easy or cheap with my SB motor.
This is the extreme dishing on an SB motor for a 6 speed freewheel, it would be difficult to get anywhere near enough dishing for a 9 speed. That 7 speed 11 to 30 is about as far as I would try:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Just been checking my Alien conversion

The large chainring on the Evans(Shimano Exage) is a 48 and the top gear is a 13 and that does seem to make a big difference over my Powertrek 48-14

I`ve been doing a few tweeks to the Evans/Alien, nice narrow saddle. I think I`ve found the rattle! it`s the battery in the carrier so(I don`t take the battery out for charging) I`ll make up some rubber strips and cushion the rattle.
Can I just say that anyone thinking of an Alien 36V kit going onto a half decent MTB will be over the moon at the speed you can punch this thing along at with throttle control.

Q. I`m gonna fit the r/h brake lever anyway now because the existing Exage gear change lever is(although indexed) is a pain, it`s push and pull and because it`s attached to the Exage brake lever I have to take my hand off of the throttle to change gear.
I have a spare indexed Shimano Tourney gear change lever (same as my Powertrek) that will tuck in nicely next to the thinner Wuxing brake lever and give me total control with my thumb. Will the indexing still work OK do you think? Tourney Lever working 20 year old shimano Exage 6 speed?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
old timer,
What speed do you get from your alien kit, on full throttle on the flat.

thanks.

mapman.
Mapman
Not sure, haven`t got a computer on that bike. I`m going to get the wife to follow me in the car when I get time.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The large chainring on the Evans(Shimano Exage) is a 48 and the top gear is a 13 and that does seem to make a big difference over my Powertrek 48-14

I`ve been doing a few tweeks to the Evans/Alien, nice narrow saddle. I think I`ve found the rattle! it`s the battery in the carrier so(I don`t take the battery out for charging) I`ll make up some rubber strips and cushion the rattle.
Can I just say that anyone thinking of an Alien 36V kit going onto a half decent MTB will be over the moon at the speed you can punch this thing along at with throttle control.

Q. I`m gonna fit the r/h brake lever anyway now because the existing Exage gear change lever is(although indexed) is a pain, it`s push and pull and because it`s attached to the Exage brake lever I have to take my hand off of the throttle to change gear.
I have a spare indexed Shimano Tourney gear change lever (same as my Powertrek) that will tuck in nicely next to the thinner Wuxing brake lever and give me total control with my thumb. Will the indexing still work OK do you think? Tourney Lever working 20 year old shimano Exage 6 speed?
Well! I measured the rear gear block on the Evans 6 speed and the width is the same as the Powertrek that is using the Shimano indexed gear change. So I wired up the Shimano Tourney indexed gear shift on the end of the bars , pulled the bike up on my pulley and with a bit of cable adjustment all the gears seem to change nicely and the chain sits in the middle of each cog. So now I can put the Wuxing brake lever on the right and position the gear change lever in a better position for when using the throttle:D

Just a thought, you know what I`ve been saying about the lack of assist from pedelec on the alien! in the higher gears? well, because that bike is light and fast and has a slightly higher gear range than my other bikes, I wonder if it is because I`m reaching the 15mph cut off point easier/earlier that is adding to the problem?? That doesn`t answer why the throttle seems to work up to at least 20mph but then maybe that`s the way the controller is set up.

And BTW it`s snowing hard again here and the road is covered:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And BTW it`s snowing hard again here and the road is covered:eek:
The forecasters will be pleased, they got that dead on for your area. Hopefully they will be right again and it won't be too extensive or last long, though saying it will stay cold.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Fitted new chain ring

Couldn`t find anything larger with a tappered square drive fitting than a 52 tooth for a decent price so went for this one that is a double. Won`t be using the small ring so as soon as I can get some new spider screws I`ll remove it. Couldn`t try it out because of the ice but hopeful for today (sunday) cost £25 delivered complete with crank arms. All seems to line up OK.

Image New 52 tooth chain ring and crank arms on Powertrek Dynamo photo - david chilvers photos at pbase.com

Dave

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Couldn`t find anything larger with a tappered square drive fitting than a 52 tooth for a decent price so went for this one that is a double. Won`t be using the small ring so as soon as I can get some new spider screws I`ll remove it. Couldn`t try it out because of the ice but hopeful for today (sunday) cost £25 delivered complete with crank arms. All seems to line up OK.

Image New 52 tooth chain ring and crank arms on Powertrek Dynamo photo - david chilvers photos at pbase.com

Dave
Were you unable to remove the chainring from the old cranks? The new one looks like BCD 110 so it will be easier to get cheap replacement chainrings when that one wears, I've found that cheaper ones don't last as long as they should. When I replaced chainring and freewheel together the chairing wore out first, it ended up so worn that the pedals would spin but the chain just slipped over the top of the teeth.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Were you unable to remove the chainring from the old cranks? The new one looks like BCD 110 so it will be easier to get cheap replacement chainrings when that one wears, I've found that cheaper ones don't last as long as they should. When I replaced chainring and freewheel together the chairing wore out first, it ended up so worn that the pedals would spin but the chain just slipped over the top of the teeth.
The existing chain ring crank set was an all in one so no option to change it. These new rings are steel with ali arms and spider.

What do you reckon to get mileage wise out of a general cheapish chainring?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The existing chain ring crank set was an all in one so no option to change it. These new rings are steel with ali arms and spider.

What do you reckon to get mileage wise out of a general cheapish chainring?
It depends a lot on chain maintenance and wear, I got about 4000 miles out of my first chainring but more out of the next one as I've paid more attention to the chain and oiled it every day when there is salt on the road.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
First ride with new chainring

Well that new 52 chainring seems to have put the icing on the cake. Gives a lovely leisurely top gear cruise on the flat(still with assistance) and down moderate hills. Gear chainging seems fine and noise from mech etc seems quieter. (might be that I switched from goldlub back to synthetic 10-50 motor oil?)

Now! maybe a very slightly larger ring;) if nothing else it would give a better down hill gear and the 5th should drop back to where it was?

I went out for about 7 miles ( a few patches of ice around where the hedges shield the sun) but I headed back while I was still upright as it is very cold up in North Norfolk today with a strongish wind.

I love the riding but also enjoy the playing around and now to fix that slow front wheel puncture:)

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I'm glad to hear your upgrade was successful, this is similar to the fine tuning I have done on some of my own machines. The difference may be small in theory, but in rideability terms the improvement is quite large.

I was particularly interested in the way you use your gears. When riding my Wisper 905 which has a 14T-52T seventh gear, I tend to stay in sixth when riding on crowded cycleways with the speed restriction on. I have always thought of the seventh gear as an overdrive top, to be used in conjunction with the off-road switch. When the way is clear, with the afterburners on, it's time to snick into seventh and enjoy some speed!. The Wisper 905 is quite capable of maintaining a steady 19 mph on the flat, the high road gearing means the cadence at this speed is still manageable. Unfortunately, not all manufactures take the trouble to match road gearing to the motor controllers characteristics in this way. Fortunately, there is a plentiful selection of combinations available to us as you have found.

Your views on the 'granny-gear' are also shared by me, long before I reach that gear, I'm off it and walking alongside with the machine pulling itself up on the throttle. It also presents an opportunity to indulge in my other addiction, I spark one up and enjoy the scenery.

The days are now noticeably increasing in length, and plans are being made for some nice half day rides starting late Spring early Summer. New local rides are becoming difficult to find, so this year I will be bunging the bike into the car, and driving to some popular trails in other parts of the country. Two ideas at the moment: Barnstaple - Bideford - Barnstaple on the Tarka Trail, and Rutland Water, both rides of around 22 miles and easily achieved on a single battery for most E-bikes. Roll on !!.

I will notify the forum of any planned rides, but, as the enjoyment of any ride is dependant on the weather, it will not be possible to give more than three or four days notice, it's just impossible to forecast the weather any further ahead than that. Even then, it will have to be better than 75% probability.

All the best
Bob

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I'm glad to hear your upgrade was successful, this is similar to the fine tuning I have done on some of my own machines. The difference may be small in theory, but in rideability terms the improvement is quite large.

I was particularly interested in the way you use your gears. When riding my Wisper 905 which has a 14T-52T seventh gear, I tend to stay in sixth when riding on crowded cycleways with the speed restriction on. I have always thought of the seventh gear as an overdrive top, to be used in conjunction with the off-road switch. When the way is clear, with the afterburners on, it's time to snick into seventh and enjoy some speed!. The Wisper 905 is quite capable of maintaining a steady 19 mph on the flat, the high road gearing means the cadence at this speed is still manageable. Unfortunately, not all manufactures take the trouble to match road gearing to the motor controllers characteristics in this way. Fortunately, there is a plentiful selection of combinations available to us as you have found.

Your views on the 'granny-gear' are also shared by me, long before I reach that gear, I'm off it and walking alongside with the machine pulling itself up on the throttle. It also presents an opportunity to indulge in my other addiction, I spark one up and enjoy the scenery.

The days are now noticeably increasing in length, and plans are being made for some nice half day rides starting late Spring early Summer. New local rides are becoming difficult to find, so this year I will be bunging the bike into the car, and driving to some popular trails in other parts of the country. Two ideas at the moment: Barnstaple - Bideford - Barnstaple on the Tarka Trail, and Rutland Water, both rides of around 22 miles and easily achieved on a single battery for most E-bikes. Roll on !!.

I will notify the forum of any planned rides, but, as the enjoyment of any ride is dependant on the weather, it will not be possible to give more than three or four days notice, it's just impossible to forecast the weather any further ahead than that. Even then, it will have to be better than 75% probability.

All the best
Bob
Bob
I intend to get out and about more away from here once the weather gets better. I`m 65 this week and really don`t get many calls about work( I`ve stopped advertising)I really need to take my wifes advice and just chill out for the time I might have left with any sort of fitness. So many people work till they are unwell and then just fade away. My dilema is that i have a VW transporter van that is more or less choca block with tools and gear( most of which are never used:) and you can bet your life when I unload it and put the gear in the garage all ready to load the bikes in the phone will ring from one of my few dedicated customers and I`ll have to reload. I must learn to say "Yes! I can do it but not for a few days"
That van is an ideal form of bike transport and apart from keeping the bikes dry if it rains it is a relatively safe place to keep them if we want to wander around and have a bite to eat somewhere. I do keep mentioning the running cost of the van but my wife absolutely loves travelling in it and with the bikes in mind it must be worth considering keeping it.(we could as we like doing, rent a cottage somewhere and take the bikes)
Getting back to the gearing, my former gearing of a 14 rear + 48 front was just a bit low, I was pedaling just a tad faster than was relaxed given the road speed at 15mph where the assist dropped off. Now, the road speed of 15mph is reached where the assist cuts off and my legs can keep up more( if you know what I mean)So I`m now bowling along at 15mph with a relaxed cadence. It`s not a great deal of difference but you can notice it and on the flat it makes for a pleasant stroll.
I`m gonna check my chain length this morning and see if it will take a bit more because I`ve earmarked a 56T chainwheel (the same jump up again) that has the same 5 bolt fixing and the same 130 BCD. I`ll keep you informed.

Dave

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm still up for your Rutland water ride Bob, subject to commitments and a new bike:D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

All the best
Bob
Hiya again Bob

My wife and I just went for a ride around the lanes near home( a bit icy in places but great)
Anyway! I`m convinced that there is a touch more in the chain wheel size in conjunction with the pedelec so I`ve ordered a 55T. OK, only another 3T but that will make it a jump of 7T over the original equipment and I have a project where I can use the 52T so no loss.

I`m sure there is enough room on the chain(length wise) and I reckon it will be a perfect on the flat sedate cruising gear with assist.

I could even up my wifes chainwheel from 48-52 so again nothing lost. Out of interest, I fitted a 75mm heads up stem extension to my wifes Cyclamatic Plus MTB and it has put her right in the driving seat where she likes it:D and I`ll tell you something else, her bike might be only a 24V but she keeps up with my 36V with ease( have to let her battery run low to get a bit of time to myself:eek:

Regards
Dave

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Yes, It was quite pleasant out on the bike today, a bit nippy on the hands but thoroughly enjoyable. The frost went off very quickly down here in Wiltshire.

My ten mile ride this morning, was to evaluate a new controller which I have fitted to the machine I rode on the The Ridgeway Route, reported elsewhere on the forum. So far, the results are better than expected, but that's another thread topic which I will post soon.

In the meantime, have fun with the bikes.

All the best
Bob