Change of PSI changed my biking life!

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
So I been running my 700c tubes at around 35 psi for the last 6 months and keeping my tyres up by using a hand pump getting them up till around 30/35psi. So I bought myself a full size pump and easily got my tubes up to 55 psi and my god it is like riding a completely different bike! So much nicer to ride now and MUCH faster! I'm now averaging 19.5mph on my commute to work up from 16.5mph just from the change of psi!!

Crazy such a small thing can make such a massive difference!

I think I'm going to write a noobie post with these small things I've found as I'm just fitting these things as I go!

Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather!!

Ride safe!

Reactions: Nev and flecc

Frank D

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2019
Hi, fellow forum new member.

Also you have saved yourself from pinch flats, I use marathon plus tyres , have not had a punture with them, I do very high mileage on several ebikes.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So I been running my 700c tubes at around 35 psi for the last 6 months and keeping my tyres up by using a hand pump getting them up till around 30/35psi. So I bought myself a full size pump and easily got my tubes up to 55 psi and my god it is like riding a completely different bike! So much nicer to ride now and MUCH faster! I'm now averaging 19.5mph on my commute to work up from 16.5mph just from the change of psi!!

Crazy such a small thing can make such a massive difference!

I think I'm going to write a noobie post with these small things I've found as I'm just fitting these things as I go!

Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather!!

Ride safe!
.....and the distance you can cover on a charge will be increased as well.
A win win situation...
regards
Andy

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
What if you go to 80 psi? Will you be able to go even faster?
Almost certainly yes, 80 PSI works for me, less rolling resistance. Get a track pump and it takes half a minute.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Ouch! £55 for a track pump. Think I got mine at Decathlon for less than £20 a few years ago. I'll stick with the old, uncool inner tubes I think! Not punctured for about 5 years - another advantage of sticking to the black stuff.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I pump my tyres to 70psi and check them once a week. I carry my pump with me in my rack bag and takes seconds to top up the tyres, it is very similar to a Topeak "Mini Morph" with it's own gauge. I used to pump my old bike to 100psi without breaking a sweat. The ability to quickly and easily pump up tyres whilst on the road takes out the worry of having to use a crappy hand pump, if a puncture were to rear its ugly head.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got mine on offer for £35 but it is also has a separate chamber you can pump up to 240 psi to seat tubeless tyres on the rim.

even at 55 it is half the price of other pumps like this ;)

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I had never heard of such pumps in 80 years! Withhand pumps I know it would take ages to get up to 30psi and completely forget 100+

Jim

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I had never heard of such pumps in 80 years! Withhand pumps I know it would take ages to get up to 30psi and completely forget 100+

Jim
If I could post a video, I would demonstrate it from a flat tyre. Takes quite a few pumps of course but no serious effort. Takes about a minute or two from fully flat to 70psi. It's the foot peg that makes all the difference. I never bother to use my track pump now apart for the rest of the family's bikes which have Schrader valves.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I use Marathon Pluses too and run them at 55-60 PSI (I do mainly off road on riverbanks and cycleways).
55 PSI for front, 60 for rear.

I have a nice cheap little hand pump (that has dual action and gets them up to that very quickly).

Go Outdoors Cheap Dual Action Hand Pump

Not sure how high it would go as I've not really tested over 65PSI.

I have a digital typre pressure gauge so always get the PSI spot on.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
I've had my Merida Track pump for about ten years - less than £20, SO much easier than a weedy pump you keep on the bike.

Reactions: Phil Dryden

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
As I lurk around various bike shops, (including the notorious Halfords), I keep seeing those sinister looking gas canisters for tyre inflation. Any good for emergency use on an ebike with 40mm tyres and schraeder valves, or are they best suited for skinny road bikes?