Changes Afoot

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Changes within Freego Wisper. What's going on?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Oddly enough I am test riding a Blue Label bike tomorrow and find today that it has disappeared from the freego catalog and the brand has been taken over by David and Wisper. I have dropped him a line to see what is going on...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That about sums it up! I have taken Wisper and Riese Muller and FreeGo will continue with their bikes.

Looking forward to getting involved in Pedelecs again! Lots of very exciting stuff happening.

Claud from The Electric Transport Shop has joined me as Technical Director, he has a massive knowledge of Wisper bikes old and new, the Bosch system and practically every bike on the market.

We have just finished stocking out the new warehouse with £50,000 of Wisper spare parts going back to the old Wisper Works, so anyone with a Wisper old or new will get the same service as in the past.

All the very best Pedelecers all!!

David

Must get that logo changed!

OXYDrive

Finding my (electric) wheels
Good luck with new venture David. TBH I always had a mixed feelings about your merger with Freego but wish you all best with new business and I belive you will do a lot better on your own.

BTW are you off for Shanghai next week?

all the best
Andrew

Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Andrew, Flecc and Jim!

I will be at the Shanghai show on Tuesday and will stay for a week or so afterwards. We are show casing the New Wisper bikes there looking for overseas stockists.

I must say even after one day I am enjoying being on my own again, with my small but beautifully formed team!

Together with the guys from Riese and Muller will be making a big push into the UK this year. I visited the Frankfurt factory last week and it was fantastic to see the incredible attention to detail and time spent on hand building each one of the blueLABEL, Riese & Muller and Birdy bikes. Not at all like the mass production methods used on some of the other larger Bosch power brands. Each bike is painstakingly made one by one. They may be a little more expensive than the mass produced examples but worth every penny.

The new Wisper Bikes will be here at the end of May. They are completely updated and IMO the best rear hub bike out of Asia, silent and with incredible torque produced via the superb new torque sensor system. A real treat to ride, but of course I am slightly biased!

The new AMPS web site will be open in a couple of weeks but if anyone would like details of any of my new bikes, please drop me a line to dmiall@me.com.

All the best

And have a great weekend!

David

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I visited the Frankfurt factory last week and it was fantastic to see the incredible attention to detail and time spent on hand building each one of the blueLABEL, Riese & Muller and Birdy bikes. Not at all like the mass production methods used on some of the other larger Bosch power brands. Each bike is painstakingly made one by one. They may be a little more expensive than the mass produced examples but worth every penny.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I can vouch for the extra quality built into the R&M bikes. Both my Delite & Birdy are brilliant, worth the extra price charged.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can vouch for the extra quality built into the R&M bikes. Both my Delite & Birdy are brilliant, worth the extra price charged.
And built that way by hand they are a bargain. Biketec build their Flyer e-bikes in Switzerland the same way, but they add the usual Swiss premium to the price which makes them far more expensive.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am curious about one aspect.
Wisper is a well known and well respected brand. Why change from Wisper Bikes to Amps? So who owns the brand Wisper now?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wisper is a well known and well respected brand. Why change from Wisper Bikes to Amps? So who owns the brand Wisper now?
I'm not certain the brand name will change since David said this:

"The new Wisper Bikes will be here at the end of May."

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
That is good to know. I have purchased a Blue Label Charger nuvinci belt drive. Not light weight but very well built and comfortable. Nuvinci works very well with the extra power of the motor/leg combo and the aim is to minimise maintenance with the belt drive. The only thing I am unsure of is the balloon tyres - not sure what they do for efficiency.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Trex, good point!

The reason I took the opportunity to change names was to create a company where a customer could buy more than one brand of bike. To buy a Riese & Muller, blueLABEL or Birdy from Wisper (a completely separate brand in it's own right) seemed not to make sense. I am looking at another brand too which would have confused even more. Time will tell whether it was a good call.

Auxiliary Motor Pedal Systems? Or is that too convoluted?

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I'm not certain the brand name will change since David said this:

"The new Wisper Bikes will be here at the end of May."
That's correct Flecc, the Wisper brand, name and style will not change for the foreseeable future. We have two new ranges of Wispers one for this summer and one for the 2016 season, so the brand is as solid as ever.

All the best

David