Help! Changing ebike switch

ebikeboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2019
So I currently converted my bike with a 1500W motor and have a battery that is 52V 20Ah.

The controller came with a switch which has been working just fine. The only thing I'm worried about is security.
It has an on/off button and an up and down arrow to be able to adjust the pedal assist/many other options.
Any one could come over and turn it on if they wanted.

I was wondering if I can remove this switch and place something in the same cabling that has a key on it?

I'm new to electronics and I'm not sure if I can place any old switch or what. And I'm not sure what how the up and down buttons work/how to find a switch that is compatible with these?

If you have any advice that would be great!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Does it have an LCD? If so, you can put a switch on the red wire between the controller and LCD. Other than that, it's difficult to comment without knowing what you have.

ebikeboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2019
Hi yes it does have an LCD display. I'll take some pictures tonight and add them here.
If I were to put a switch between the LCD display, what would happen to the current switch? Would I need to solder those together?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A switch on the red wire would act as a master switch. It would have to be switched on for the switch on the LCD to work.

A wire (red) comes up from the battery to the LCD to power it. When you press the LCD switch, it latches the power on so that the LCD works (independly from anything else). at the same time it switches on power back to the controller (blue wire) to make the controller operational. When you press the LCD again, it delatches the power to the LCD and the controller. A switch on the red wire will prevent power getting to the LCD, like you switched off the battery.