Changing handlebars.

Styrefart

Just Joined
Apr 14, 2019
Norway
Hi
I recently ,1000km ago, became the proud owner of a Winora Yucatan x20. My plan was to use it for all the small trips. I had no intentions to use it for my commute. Now I have started to use it for my commute, 36km each way. Sitting as you do on this kind of bike I have learned that aerodynamics matter, and that when you lean on your hands for more than an hour they will go numb. I am now considering changing my handlebars to a drop bar. Better aerodynamics and the ability to give my hands some variation. Beeing the noob I am, are there any reasons not to do this?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although the clamp area of most handlebars is about 1" or 25.4mm diameter, the grip areas are different for almost all upright and drop handlebars:

Grip areas:

Upright bars = 22.2mm, 7/8" diameter.

Drop bars = 23.8mm, 15/16" diameter.

So the upright bike's handlebar fitments won't fit around the larger diameter drop bar and you may have to buy and fit new fittings like brake levers, throttle if fitted, rubber grips etc.

Inserted bar end mirrors are also different in plug size.

Size chart link

Otherwise no problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Styrefart

L6mbt

Pedelecer
Feb 1, 2019
You could give your hands some variation by simply adding some bar ends. I had a similar issue with the bars on my Carrera Vengeance. I found some "mini bar ends" in Decathlon which help enormously. They clamp on and cost £10. I didn't even have to remove the grips; just cut away half an inch each side to accommodate them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want different hand positions try butterfly bars or something similar, they have multi hand positions if you don't mind the styling.

Reactions: Styrefart and flash

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton