Charger question

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Browsing around the I saw one uk supplier offering a fold away solar panel to charge the bike but I cannot remember where which leads me to the question.
at the moment in the motorhome to charge any bike I have to use an inverter to give 240v then plug in charger as normal. Obviously using a 12v or 24v charger would be more efficient and I've seen some available in the USA. My question is that all the batteries I've seen say use the charger supplied 'though the chargers are often supplied separately.
Assuming any charger used is the correct voltage and amps is there anything wrong with using a different charging supply?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can't just use any charger since the charger's characteristics have to match the battery type and some chargers are "intelligent" types. That said, lithium battery chargers are not normally intelligent types, relying on the battery's own internal management to set the charge cut-off so are fairly tolerant.

Wisper supply an after-market 12 volt charger for their 36 volt lithium e-bikes if it's of any interest.

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Thank you flecc do you happen to know who supplies the 12v after-market charger?. I've tried searching but so far no joy.
cheers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's Wisper Electric Bikes. Here is their dealer contact page from which you can find your nearest Wisper dealer who can get one for you.

If you experience any difficulty due to it being a rare item, use this Wisper contact page to contact them direct.