charging on train

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
just curious, with the charging points on trains for laptops and mobile phones would there be enough power to charge ebike battery, although you would have to be discreet

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Bike charger is typically 2amp @36v; so if 100% efficient should be 0.3amp at 240v. Realistically 0.4 amp? I guess that should be ok.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Bike charger is typically 2amp @36v; so if 100% efficient should be 0.3amp at 240v. Realistically 0.4 amp? I guess that should be ok.
I agree entirely. Many modern laptops need more current than that!
No need to be discreet, or is there some silly Byelaw about what can be plugged in?
regards
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
just curious, with the charging points on trains for laptops and mobile phones would there be enough power to charge ebike battery, although you would have to be discreet
Careful, it can be an offence that some train companies take seriously.

At least some of the train companies 13 amp sockets are there for their staff, not for customers.

This user ended up in handcuffs.

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
The bloke in the report on London Overground was using a 'not for public use' socket - these are intended for things like cleaning when the train is in the depot, and the voltage from them can be very erratic when the train's in service - I certainly wouldn't plug my phone in one.

The public sockets are surge protected and have a fairly low current limit; a hairdryer would probably trip them. There should be no problem with a bike charger but there's always a risk that someone will take the 'laptops and mobile phones' sign literally (don't try charging an iPad or a Kindle.....) and / or not understand in which case it's best not to argue as it won't end well. In other words, you should be fine but smile politely if challenged and don't rely on it.

My main reason for commenting, though, is to congratulate the other posters on avoiding that dreadful term 'plug socket'!!!

Reactions: flecc