charging questions

nogelt123

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2009
I have a chinese folding ebike with an 8ah lithium manganese battery,with a 250 watt motor.The charger has a 1.8 ah output.
This week my battery was very close to being fully discharged and it only took 5 hours to recharge,it usually takes 6-8 hours, 18-22km no throttle.
I wonder if The charger had a false peak.I am tempted to charge the battery again to see what happens.Am I looking for trouble or should I go through another complete
cycle checking distance?
thanks,Jan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's actually the BMS (battery management system circuitry) inside the battery that controls the cutoff on lithium batteries Jan, so your charger will not be faulty.

The BMS monitors the cells individually during charging, both equalising the charge and cutting the charge if any cell is threatened. It may be all is well or it may be that one cell is losing capacity, limiting the whole battery to that.

It won't do any harm to attempt a boost charge, but it's probably best to just use the bike and see what happens next time. That will tell you if the battery is losing capacity or whether that was a one-off event.