Cheap Breakdown Recovery for Pedelecs and Pushbikes.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I picked up a leaflet today from my LBS about cycle breakdown recovery. The leaflet does not mention e bikes, so I phoned the company. Pedelecs are covered. Cost is £15 per year, and covers up to three callouts. Punctures, accidents, vandalism and irrepairable breakdowns are covered. Rider and bike to be taken to one of the following.LBS, Train Station, Car rental agency, overnight accommodation, Home address. Cover is 24/7/365. All for £15. Google WWW.cyclebreakdown.co.uk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At first it looks difficult to see how they can do it nation wide, but they can if using an existing car recovery firm like Green Flag or National Breakdown to do the work.

If only 1 in 7 use it each year, it's break even, less using it and they make a profit. Given the intrinsic reliablity of bicycles, it will probably work out ok. Customers will probably still repair punctures/change tubes and do other minor things rather than waiting an hour or more for a breakdown pickup.

There's something in it as well for such a car breakdown company, at busy times a truck could at times recover a car and a bike at the same time, bike across the back of the cab, earning them more.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The only problem that I can see is that their web site does not show the policy wording so that you can check it.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
I have breakdown recovery included in my cycle insurance from ETA! - seemed like a good idea as they will recover me to either a bike shop, home or train station provided the problem is one that should not be fixable at the roadside! Pretty much the same as above, probably identical, but I just don't care about the other options as I can't see me needing them! (I like the concept as I have a bike shop just near work and one just 3 miles from home with a train station near both - win-win for me!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
The website gives a phone number to allow you to ask questions, as I did. No doubt they would send you their policy wording and/or terms and conditions. I think that at £15 I will give it a try.

C

Cyclezee

That sounds like a very good deal and worth a punt.

It will interesting to hear how it works in practice.

My recovery service would cost a hell of a lot more than that, it's called Anne.

It wouldn't be nationwide and if there was something more urgent e.g. hairdressers appointment you would be waiting forever:rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc and VictoryV
C

Cyclezee

Following my remarks, I have just had a phone call from the lovely Vanessa at Lexham Insurance.

She explained that they don't have the policy wording / key facts displayed on their website due to competitor reasons.

But she would be more than happy to supply the relevant information if you send an email to v.knights@lexhaminsurance.co.uk
You can also contact her on 01379 646537

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Following my remarks, I have just had a phone call from the lovely Vanessa at Lexham Insurance.

She explained that they don't have the policy wording / key facts displayed on their website due to competitor reasons.

But she would be more than happy to supply the relevant information if you send an email to v.knights@lexhaminsurance.co.uk
Huh? That's like you not specifying the spec of a bike for competition reasons but just saying "fully road legal in the UK, ebike, ££" o_O

Are they off their rockers?

C

Cyclezee

Are they off their rockers?
Actually no, they will send you the information if you email or phone.

I have just signed up for a personal policy and am going to offer this free to anyone who buys a bike from Cyclezee:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TinKitten and flecc

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014

Did the lovely Vanessa tell you how good the coverage is or who they use?

C

Cyclezee

They use Call Assist, It is a 24 Hour & 365 Days a year service.
They offer assistance more than one mile away from home anywhere in the UK.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
They very efficiently emailed me the conditions etc.
Included are the following:

to be transported at Our discretion to:

• The nearest suitable cycle repair shop or

• The nearest appropriate railway station or

• The nearest car rental agency or

• The nearest overnight accommodation or

• Your Home Address, if closer

Exclusions
applying to all sections unless otherwise stated

This insurance does not cover the following: -

1. Any incident occurring outside the period of cover.

2. Any incident within a mile, by public highway from your Home Address.

3. Any incident where the Pedal Cycle is being used for a use not specified in the design and manufacturers specifications, or arising directly out of the unreasonable use of the Pedal Cycle on unsuitable terrain.

4. The recovery of You and Your Pedal Cycle if repairs can be carried out at or near the scene of the incident within the same working day.
In my case I can only see me benefiting from a breakdown in some isolated lane miles from anywhere.
Getting to a train station or town would be a help I guess.
Problem is here in deepest remote Cornwall it's unlikely there would be a phone signal for miles anyway.
Not too sure about exclusion 4 either. For instance, if I had a puncture in my hub motor wheel, I would argue that It wasn't reasonable to expect me to carry all the necessary tools to remove and replace the wheel. Whereas, if it was the front wheel I'd obviously just get on and deal with it without bothering them.
Wonder if they would see it that way?
It's so cheap, I'll probably do it anyway for less than the price of a coffee a month even though there's a fair chance it won't be much help in my circumstances.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
When I phoned them, I was told that the policy covers the policy holder, not the bike. I was told I was covered on any of the bikes I owned whether pushbike or electric, or even if I was riding a bike I borrowed from someone else. I told Vanessa I would post about it on this website. Looks like they will be gaining some business here, especially through Cyclezee. I reckon they should offer me free insurance!

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Good find! This got me thinking as I already have recovery insurance as a benefit of my motorcycle insurance with Carole Nash - so I've contacted CN to see if my KTM pedelec can be covered as well.

Though from experience of motorcycle breaksdowns it can take an hour or three for a recovery vehicle to arrive. With a push bike and a smart phone it may be quicker to phone a local taxi firm to get you relocated to somewhere more convenient.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
When I phoned them, I was told that the policy covers the policy holder, not the bike. I was told I was covered on any of the bikes I owned whether pushbike or electric, or even if I was riding a bike I borrowed from someone else. I told Vanessa I would post about it on this website. Looks like they will be gaining some business here, especially through Cyclezee. I reckon they should offer me free insurance!
I think you're right! I took out my cover this afternoon. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Jim