Cheap kit for "full electric" conversion (for foot injured wife)

MarmiteOnToast

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2020
Geeeeee wizzz

"Just some simple M12 washers and nuts" has turned into a job and a half! The axle nut isn't standard M12 - not sure what it is - M12 fine? Regardless, my engineering company mates don't have them

The M12 washers I need can't exceed OD of 21mm due to my forks. ALL M12 washers we could locate were 24mm.

Too small cut cut on their plasma cutter.

Had to call in another favour and got another engineering company lathing down some standard M12 washers to 21mm OD for me.

I'm sure someone sells a kit with all this in lol - but probably not delivered in an hour!

#InDebtToMatesAgain

MarmiteOnToast

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2020
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The connector was molex, so easy enough to remove and remove nuts, grind down the flange bit. Then my M12 20mm OD washers came good - so able to use those to space the axle in the fork allowing disk to not it, and the nuts to grip without the quick release indents getting in the way.

Maiden test run, 5 miles on country lane and canal path - and it worked flawlessly. Analogue throttle control to easily get to 16mph which is fine as I was pedalling behind. v quiet & smooth, and just seemed to work.

I totally get different systems would be better but this works an absolute treat. I'm sure it'll last the 1-2mths needed.

Happy wife

Steak for tea :)

So this story has a happy ending. Hopefully.

Thanks for the advice in thread and in other threads on here I searched through.

Reactions: Woosh