Cheapish Motor Wheels

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hmm... didn't Nealh mentioned recently he is using TSDZ2? Traitor!
;)
Neal has used both, but has posted strongly in favour of hub motors.

Link

I started with a crank drive pedelec but sold it and followed with hub motors.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use both mini hub and tsdz2. The mini hub Bafang G370 I have found to be superb, high internal motor gearing allowing for greater unpowered fiding shoul done need to conserve battery for extra range. No issue with towing my overloaded trailer when I accidently miscalculated the weight of six damp/ wet compost bags coming in over 125kg. The G370 for the roadrat build was my motor of choice as I wanted the Alfine 8 and a double chainwheel, also there was no need to file the surly fork dropouts as the 10mm motor axle fitted in to the dropout dimples perfectly .

The tsdz2 was the logical choice for my cargo bike as I didn't want to mess with drop outs on the Ute from the std set up, again I have a double chain ring to use for those heavier 100kg trailer loads.

There is no one motor is better then the other , both do the job very well . It is a case of selecting the right motor for the bike and usage. A torque control controller and hub still make for a more relaxing ride then the tsdz2 , the difference being with TS mid motor one has to put in more effort.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There is no one motor is better then the other , both do the job very well . It is a case of selecting the right motor for the bike and usage.
This is probably the best possible conclusion to the whole hub vs. mid conflict.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tsdz2 compared to BBS imv is a no contest win for the TSDZ2, the TS drive being far better then the cadence torque control of the BBS. The KT torque control is also much better then the BBS I feel.

I find the Tsdz2 applies the power better so much so that a throttle is less likely to be needed (I of course don't use them). The other main factor is the doubling of the internal gearing of the Tsdz2 that makes unpowered riding so much less effortless, you would only know this by trying to ride a BBS for 14 odd miles with flat battery and up hill.

The modern era sports e-biking diy movement and manufacturers have chosen the middrive because they want to rough out the rides with jumps and rough terrain. A hub can handle the rough terrain but no the jumps but can still with the correct control system handle much of the same terrain without the need of the same effort, my 100 mile rides with a lot of trail off road riding has shown this up many times .

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tsdz2 compared to BBS imv is a no contest win for the TSDZ2, the TS drive being far better then the cadence torque control of the BBS. The KT torque control is also much better then the BBS I feel.

I find the Tsdz2 applies the power better so much so that a throttle is less likely to be needed (I of course don't use them). The other main factor is the doubling of the internal gearing of the Tsdz2 that makes unpowered riding so much less effortless, you would only know this by trying to ride a BBS for 14 odd miles with flat battery and up hill.
I admit to being tempted by the price of TSDZ2 vs BBS01B... but knowing my luck I'll buy one with all of the manufacturing faults and experience every problem caused by the TSDZ2's design faults ever mentioned by the more unfortunate owners on this forum.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I admit to being tempted by the price of TSDZ2 vs BBS01B... but knowing my luck I'll buy one with all of the manufacturing faults and experience every problem caused by the TSDZ2's design faults ever mentioned by the more unfortunate owners on this forum.
Wouldn't that be lovely? With all spare parts available think about opportunity to tinker with your motor during long winter nights. That is way more better than Netflix! And if it is not enough, you can buy cooling kit and temperature sensor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It appears only the ES abusers seem to have issues with the Tsdz2, they tend to push to much power through the drives . The axle breakages appear to be with the longer BB axle models. That said they have done a good job in showing up it's issues so that the rest of us can make the small mods to ensure the motor works better. The heat mods may not be needed but are fairly simple to carry out and one reason I did so for the towing of my heavier loads , the no brainer extra crank area bearings is a two minute job before fitting the cranks.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh and guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is probably the best possible conclusion to the whole hub vs. mid conflict.
It is the one that the mid drive fanboys can't comprehend and likely most of them have never seriously tried a decent hub controlled bike for long periods like us in the know. In comparing both one has to be honest with both of the drives merits and one is certainly not better then the other . If it were the case we wouldn't buy or use hubs for there simplicity and reliability even having tried and owned mid drives.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It appears only the ES abusers seem to have issues with the Tsdz2, they tend to push to much power through the drives . The axle breakages appear to be with the longer BB axle models. That said they have done a good job in showing up it's issues so that the rest of us can make the small mods to ensure the motor works better. The heat mods may not be needed but are fairly simple to carry out and one reason I did so for the towing of my heavier loads , the no brainer extra crank area bearings is a two minute job before fitting the cranks.
BTW This actioner was fun and enjoyable to watch, if you like actioners.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
It is the one that the mid drive fanboys can't comprehend and likely most of them have never seriously tried a decent hub controlled bike for long periods like us in the know. In comparing both one has to be honest with both of the drives merits and one is certainly not better then the other . If it were the case we wouldn't buy or use hubs for there simplicity and reliability even having tried and owned mid drives.
To my mind where the motor is sited is less important than whether the e-bike has a cadence or torque sensor.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To my mind where the motor is sited is less important than whether the e-bike has a cadence or torque sensor.
how about torque sensor + throttle for those steep hills?

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Yes: You've explained how you operate many times before. I get your business model and how it works.

What you haven't explained is how you arrive at (and assert with conviction) the following beliefs:

I have to say all the Chinese product I'm importing (not e-bike related) is (now) being fairly declared according to my documentation.

I'm saying you need to compete in a global economy, not whine about the Chinese having some "imagined" unfair advantage - How? Where's the proof that validates Woosh's assumptions? Importing directly from China, I haven't seen any evidence of cheating or evasion. HMRC aren't anything like as ignorant/blind as they once used to be.

Woosh's retort to my question would be simple: They provide a level of service that the Chinese don't and that commands a price premium... but the point I make is that that differential is diminishing year on year. There's no point complaining of how others play this game; you either raise your own game or get out of it, not sit in the corner crying about how unfair it may seem to you.

BYD became the largest EV maker in the world this year, taking that crown from Tesla. BYD (and several other very long established Chinese EV makers) this year launch throughout the UK and Europe. Are VW/GM/Ford/Mercedes/BMW et al winging about it or trying to raise their game and stay relevant?

Elon Musk is - for the moment at least - laughing it all off, but time will tell.
Many Chinese suppliers are blatantly smuggling goods to evade VAT & duty particularly high value tech goods. Take cameras for example. A Canon 5D Mk IV is £1,550 from China & £2,789 from a UK supplier.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My Wiper 705 has a torque sensor & rear hub motor. A throttle isn't required for hills as I have 5 levels of assist with the top being full assist ie working like a cadence sensor..
that's a good idea.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My Wiper 705 has a torque sensor & rear hub motor. A throttle isn't required for hills as I have 5 levels of assist with the top being full assist ie working like a cadence sensor..
I've always wondered why torque sensing systems didn't work like that.
I'd even asked on the forum a couple of times if there was a reason why not, but never got a response.

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Many Chinese suppliers are blatantly smuggling goods to evade VAT & duty particularly high value tech goods. Take cameras for example. A Canon 5D Mk IV is £1,550 from China & £2,789 from a UK supplier.

Canon DSLRs are very robust, I'd be more tempted buying second hand from within the UK. But thanks for the link, I had never heard of that website. I'm always on the lookout for cameras. At 5k+, I hire usually.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The position of the motor is a point of safety. The Type of sensor isn't.

The type of sensor makes very little difference to any bike. It's only a sensor. It doesn't control any motor or power. All it does is to tell your controller that you're pedalling and often how hard too. It's the controller that has the power algorithms that affect how the bike rides.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wouldn't that be lovely? With all spare parts available think about opportunity to tinker with your motor during long winter nights. That is way more better than Netflix! And if it is not enough, you can buy cooling kit and temperature sensor.
I'd be in danger of becoming some sort of electronics hobbyist! Besides, I've run out of round tuits and @jimriley hasn't returned any I've loaned him.