Chief eZee Power

Chief eZee Power

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai
Hi,

It has some recent discussion in the forum about battery warranty, chargers and etc. I just wish to provide some information here.

1) Phylion battery. We have decided to drop them completed following more problems with their quality consistancy in 2008 and 2009 which we have monitored closely.

2) Li+ polymer battery, we have been mostly using this battery since 2008.
The supplier is Advanced Electronics Energy Ltd. Which is the same supplier for Wisper and many other major ebike brands in Europe. However please note there is several choices for the BMS (Battery management system), after the first few batches in early 2008, we have specified for the BMS with O2micro the most advance microprocessor for power management, this balance the cells continuously vs simple hardware that just balance the cells during charging. We pay about GBP 5 more for this. I don't think the battery packs in Wisper have this, but I stand to be corrected.

3) In the recent cases about old HP chargers having problems with our new 14Ah battery, it might be a problem with compatibility of the BMS, sometimes these very sophisticated chips and programs happens to find a bug when they get engaged with older system. This is guess work, because we are unable to get our hands on the problem charger and battery, and we could not duplicate this problems on the bench.

4) We provide 4 amps fast charger with the 14 Ah battery.

5) We have now 2 other options for batteries :-
5.1) Li+ 18650 cells from Samsung. The pack still holds 37V10Ah From the tests data and expert advise we sought, we find this cells to better than even the best Japanese cells from Sanyo, better life span , better capacity at high discharge rates, wider operation temperatures.The price is slightly lower than Sanyo, but it will retail maybe GBP 80 more than the LiPo from Advance. We are supplying these to Canada where they ask for continous discharge of 20 amps ( we have tested these to be good even at 25 amps continous and at 48V = 1200 watts )
5.2) LiFePO4, with the cathode material from Phostech Canada. The cells are made in China. Most other LiFePO4 cells from China use cheap knock-offs cloned cathode material. However because of the cell size it would fit only the new battery casing for the rear carrier.

6) Warranty. First, we have to understand what we measure for the battery capacity. Battery capacity in Ah needs to be qualified with the discharge rate. Battery suppliers normally states the discharge rates in at 0.1C, which simply means is the cell is rated at 10Ah @0.1C, the measurement is done with a discharge rate at 1 amp. Battery capacity reduces at higher discharge rates, so the same battery at 2C or 20 amps one might get only 7Ah. Then please note this is the spec for A SINGLE CELL, when you have a pack of 10 cells, the actual capacity is reduced due to resistance for the 10 cells placed in series. So a 37V10Ah nominal pack would actually yield about 9.5 Ah discharge at 0.5C or 5 amps. And of course there is the factor of temperatures and etc. This should be done at ambient temp. of 20~25C

Our distributors are required to have test equipment to do discharge of the battery at 0.5C or 5 amps. Our warranty is for 70 % of original capacity within 12 months, and that works out to 9.5 x 0.7 = 6.65 Ah

ebikes brands using the same cells with basic simple BMS could be brave enough to give 2 years warranty (sometimes without defining what the warranty is based on) or their magins are big enough for the risks involved, just like insurance you take a big premium to cover the risks.

Given our experience, we like to be more conservative.

Yours truly,
Chief eZee Operator

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My thanks also for this very full clarification. It's a pity that such clarity is so rare in the e-bike world. I also agree with the conservatism with regard to specified performance, much better for a customer to know what might be realistically expected, rather than be disappointed following unrealistic claims.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
As somebody who is looking to buy a new electric bike I thought it would be useful to review the battery warranty offered by the different manufacturers. Having owned an Ezee Torq and been seriously stung by the previous battery problems I must add that Ezee is not at the top of my to-buy list. In fact I won't buy a bike where the manufacturer charges £400 - £500 for a replacement battery and only a 1 year warranty - not if I am given a choice at any rate.

I have tried to list these in order of price band, starting with the cheapest - of course some brands compete in different price bands (and apologies for the manufacturers I have missed).

Powabyke - 6 months
Powacycle - 6 months
Batribike - 6 months
Infinium - 1 year
Cytronex - 1 year (old NiMH technology)
Gocycle - 1 year
Urban Mover 2 years
Wisper - 2 years
Ezee - 1 year
Yamaha Gepedia - 2 years
All Panasonics - 2 years
Ultra Motor - 2 years
Bionx - 2 years

My personal opinion is that Ezee should try to put the battery problems behind them, match the warranty given by other manufacturers and start investing in a re-vamped model range.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

My personal opinion is that Ezee should try to put the battery problems behind them, match the warranty given by other manufacturers and start investing in a re-vamped model range.
Hi Harry,

To be fair, Ezee have put their battery problems behind them and it is my understanding from Chief eZee Power's post that a 2 year battery warranty has to be paid for ultimately by the customer somehow.

How would you like to see the Ezee range revamped? They already produce several high quality robust models fitted with good quality components, brakes, gears, wheels, tyres etc., which rival if not beat any other manufacturer out there.

J:) hn

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Of course Ezee may have put there battery troubles behind them but I am not going to take the risk of buying a ebike and the battery failing after 14 months - given the choice I will go with Wisper, Kalkhoff etc. Of course it is up to consumer to pay for the 2 year warranty and I would be happy to pay the extra. I look at the Ezee and the competition and make a judgment about cost versus equipment levels, quality etc and make my decision.

In 2006 Ezee produced one of the most sought after electric bikes, the Torq - it may not have been perfect but it was pretty desirable. They also produced some other more utilitarian bikes to satisfy the rest of the market so were doing pretty well. They introduced the 26" Forte and Forze and that has been it (except the Forte was dropped). At that time nobody had heard of Wisper but look at the amount of investment that has gone into that brand and you can see the results. There are improvements every year and throughout the model year as well. Having owned a Torq I wouldn't go back - even little things like the wiring going wrong - at least with Wisper it is easier to replace things like the meter box (a nightmare with the Torq as I ended up having to get the soldering iron out).

C

Cyclezee

You missed this one Harry;)
eZee-Sprint-GTS.jpg

Ezee have also introduced upgrades, improvements and new models, maybe they don't shout about it as much as some do.

Anyway, I have ridden and owned both Wisper and Ezee bikes, but to me the Ezee has it on quality and something that is difficult to define, they just feel right:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have to agree the changes have been substantial, for example:

Torq 1: Rigid forks, Bafang motor, 700c wheels, Kenda tyres, some iffy components.

Torq 2: Sprung forks, Ezee motor, 26" wheels, Marathon Plus tyres, better quality components.

The rest of the range now uses the eZee motor, and all have a wide choice of the best quality batteries coming
out of China now, plus a faster charger.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
You missed this one Harry;)
View attachment 1371

Ezee have also introduced upgrades, improvements and new models, maybe they don't shout about it as much as some do.

Anyway, I have ridden and owned both Wisper and Ezee bikes, but to me the Ezee has it on quality and something that is difficult to define, they just feel right:cool:

Very nice but I would pay the extra and get 700c wheels, the Alfine hub, 2 year guarantee and go for the wisper alpino. Sorry! Actually I am more inclined towards the bionx kit but that is another story.....

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I have to agree the changes have been substantial, for example:

Torq 1: Rigid forks, Bafang motor, 700c wheels, Kenda tyres, some iffy components.

Torq 2: Sprung forks, Ezee motor, 26" wheels, Marathon Plus tyres, better quality components.

The rest of the range now uses the eZee motor, and all have a wide choice of the best quality batteries coming
out of China now, plus a faster charger.
I am sorry but the range doesn't inspire me - I don't even think the torq is improved. Personally I would strip it down, put the motor on
the back and compete with the pro-connect .... but them again you know that because you have already done it!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very nice but I would pay the extra and get 700c wheels, the Alfine hub, 2 year guarantee and go for the wisper alpino. Sorry! Actually I am more inclined towards the bionx kit but that is another story.....
Of course Hal, each to his own, and I also like the BionX option. One of the longest serving motors around but still
at the top with the best. Amazing to think that the ideas behind it came out of Chrysler research in the 1970s.

C

Cyclezee

£450 extra for a Wisper Alpino, with that you could buy a second battery for an Ezee Torq II, have 700c wheels and a front wheel motor, just like the Alpino:confused:

As for Bionx, I have to agree Harry, that is a different story, expensive, but excellent kit;)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
£450 extra for a Wisper Alpino, with that you could buy a second battery for an Ezee Torq II, have 700c wheels and a front wheel motor, just like the Alpino:confused:

As for Bionx, I have to agree Harry, that is a different story, expensive, but excellent kit;)

Good point but I have been there with the Torq and the memories of cycling to work un-powered when it rained or losing it for a month while it was repaired are still reasonably fresh in my mind. However I find most of the ranges of ebikes uninspiring thus the kit thing going around my head at the moment.

joab

Pedelecer
My Ezee phylion battery is still performing well and still has a range of 40km after more then 2 years use. The battery was produced in September 2008. First time used end January 2009. The kit has about 14.000km. I'm using the cycle analyst to limit the amount of amp I can use and that works fine for me. The battery still has +- 6,6AH of orginal 9,6AH.

Regards,
Jo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Ezee phylion battery is still performing well and still has a range of 40km after more then 2 years use. The battery was produced in September 2008. First time used end January 2009. The kit has about 14.000km. I'm using the cycle analyst to limit the amount of amp I can use and that works fine for me. The battery still has +- 6,6AH of orginal 9,6AH.

Regards,
Jo
That very closely matches the past performance of my same version test Phylion from supply and first use in
January 2008. I'm still using it, but it does now cut out if used at full throttle on a protracted stiff climb.

I consider it's given reasonable service, but it seems the polymer alternatives are expected to have rather
better all round performance.

subevo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2007
my ezee liv battery went in 11months.however i recelled thanks to flecc my giant lafree(nimh) for £100 5000miles later still going strong.just refuses to die.old cells were ok it was a faulty battery charger.

i hate the fact you have to pay mega bucks for new batteries.my last car cost £500 with a years mot for gods sake.

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
my ezee liv battery went in 11months.however i recelled thanks to flecc my giant lafree(nimh) for £100 5000miles later still going strong.just refuses to die.old cells were ok it was a faulty battery charger.

i hate the fact you have to pay mega bucks for new batteries.my last car cost £500 with a years mot for gods sake.
that must be such a **** car then, would u reveal the make of it. At the end of the day i'd prefer to buy a £500 battery rather than drive dying car:D

subevo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2007
yes it was a citroen xsara vts 170bhp.had a few dents but nothing else.used it for track days and commuting.sold it for same price.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
that must be such a **** car then, would u reveal the make of it. At the end of the day i'd prefer to buy a £500 battery rather than drive dying car:D
I drive a top of the range rover 45 diesel that cost £480 last year,i would trust it to go anywhere with good economy and strong pulling power and it is far from dying,after eleven months of use i had to lay out £70 for the garage to do the work to pass the mot,i could probably still sell it for £480 now,this is cheap reliable motoring with no depreciation,if i ran it on biodiesel i could probably get close to the true cost of running an electric bike,however i do get more pleasure from riding my torq to work for some reason.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Doesn't have to be Andy. I sold an 11 year old Tipo 3 door that was immaculate and gleaming, garage kept for life
and a genuine 14,000 miles only. Almost everything on it was original, even down to light bulbs. It cost the very
happy new owner exactly £500, and being just run in, he could be using it for many years.

Current cars:

2.5 year old Chevy Matiz town car, 1997 miles.

2 year old Nissan Qashqai, garage kept, 2129 miles.

That will be two more lucky people at some future time.