Chief eZee Power

C

Cyclezee

Current cars:

2.5 year old Chevy Matiz town car, 1997 miles.

2 year old Nissan Qashqai, garage kept, 2129 miles.

That will be two more lucky people at some future time.
OK Tony, £500 each, any discount if I buy both for cash or I would want full fuel tanks and years RFL on both. Do we have a deal?

J;) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Tipo did have a fresh MOT, nearly a year's road fund tax, and the spare wheel had never been used!

I also sold a five year old 5600 mile Fabia, but that was part exchanged and fetched £3000.

I don't know when I'll be getting rid of the present cars though. :)

Last edited:

jeronimo479

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2008
I concur

As somebody who is looking to buy a new electric bike I thought it would be useful to review the battery warranty offered by the different manufacturers. Having owned an Ezee Torq and been seriously stung by the previous battery problems I must add that Ezee is not at the top of my to-buy list. In fact I won't buy a bike where the manufacturer charges £400 - £500 for a replacement battery and only a 1 year warranty - not if I am given a choice at any rate.

I have tried to list these in order of price band, starting with the cheapest - of course some brands compete in different price bands (and apologies for the manufacturers I have missed).

Powabyke - 6 months
Powacycle - 6 months
Batribike - 6 months
Infinium - 1 year
Cytronex - 1 year (old NiMH technology)
Gocycle - 1 year
Urban Mover 2 years
Wisper - 2 years
Ezee - 1 year
Yamaha Gepedia - 2 years
All Panasonics - 2 years
Ultra Motor - 2 years
Bionx - 2 years

My personal opinion is that Ezee should try to put the battery problems behind them, match the warranty given by other manufacturers and start investing in a re-vamped model range.
I purchased my eZee Torq in July 2007. The battery and charger failed my after 100 charges. I replaced that battery 2 more times under warranty and one more time on my own dime (actually provided by an extended warranty program through my credit card). That one too tied after a very few uses. I worked with eZee on and off. The last battery was down to 4 amp/hrs capacity when the charger started blowing fuses regularly. I was going to buy a new batt and charger, a $650 investment. I looked at the warranty (6 months) and decided that I have no faith or confidence in eZee. If they had any faith in their system, they too would offer a warranty that actually means something. With a 6 month warranty, I might be oblidges to pay $1300 a year to keep my bike running. Right. $1300 a year. I decided to go eBay and bought a 37V 20A LiFePO4 from Cammy. 3 yr warranty. Claims 3000-5000 cycles. Even if it get 300, it will have outlasted the eZee battery by 300%. It arrived in not so great shape, and after testing average current while connected to a 467mA load, the best I have seen is 15A/hrs. But the eZee batteries were absolute trash, and the support to their customers is poor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But the eZee batteries were absolute trash
The operative word is "were".

I too suffered three batteries in quick succession on my Torq, one battery only lasting 60 charges. However, that
battery manufacturer Phylion were supplying others at that time with far better results, showing that it was the
Torq's high motor power that was the problem when it was used to the full.

On January 14th, 2008 I started testing one of the new generation Phylions in my eZee and I'm still using it at well
over two years old and 344 charges.

Since then eZee have switched to the best battery available made by Advance, which on another well known
make has been performing perfectly.

Time to move on surely? We buy today's new bikes complete with all their improvements, not new bikes from the
past.

Last edited:

jeronimo479

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2008
History teaches us, if we py attention

Flecc, the point of my post wasn't to bash eZee for past trash batteries, but to remind them that combining a 6 month warranty with a horrible track record is not a way to maintain a customer base.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Flecc, the point of my post wasn't to bash eZee for past trash batteries, but to remind them that combining a 6 month warranty with a horrible track record is not a way to maintain a customer base.
I made exactly the point about the six month warranty at the time as I thought it was unsustainable if the business was to survive all the battery problems. The competition has upped the game and Ezee is still playing catch up with the warranty and I suspect losing sales as a result. In the end it is Mr Ching's business and he can run it how he wants, just a shame to see such a successful brand under-achieving.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree on the warranty, 6 months doesn't cut it these days.

However, he is taking the warranty position to heart as he says in this post on his new Samsung celled battery
with a 2 year warranty.

And on the new Torq T1 when it's launched, a 3 year battery warranty as said in this post.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi,

It has some recent discussion in the forum about battery warranty, chargers and etc. I just wish to provide some information here.

2) Li+ polymer battery, we have been mostly using this battery since 2008.
The supplier is Advanced Electronics Energy Ltd. Which is the same supplier for Wisper and many other major ebike brands in Europe. However please note there is several choices for the BMS (Battery management system), after the first few batches in early 2008, we have specified for the BMS with O2micro the most advance microprocessor for power management, this balance the cells continuously vs simple hardware that just balance the cells during charging. We pay about GBP 5 more for this. I don't think the battery packs in Wisper have this, but I stand to be corrected.
Consider yourself corrected!! :D

All the best

David