Chinese Mid-Drive Crank Motors

D

Deleted member 4366

Just in case you don't know, if you live in UK, you can't buy bicycles economically from China because of the anti-dumping tax.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Just in case you don't know, if you live in UK, you can't buy bicycles economically from China because of the anti-dumping tax.
I don't know if it works the same as the boosters but we shipped in as spare parts for repairs and assembled in Poland then re shipped to uk.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
For the smaller boosters the manufacturer would ship directly from China to the customer via DHL. The customer would pay a small amount of import duty which we would reimburse.

We were turning over well in excess of £1m a year.

What I don't know is if the anti dumping applies to all or some products?

I'm a little out of touch.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
The headache will be the batteries, which I would imagine would have to go by sea.

With eBay for normal bikes China not an option lol

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, d8veh.
All that I know is that when I shipped 3 bikes in from Tilon (X'CND) based in X'ian Provence China, the price was a fraction of that being charged in UK for Titanium bikes.

OK they were not complete bikes, just Frame, HandleBars, Forks and Cranksets, so not far of the completed product.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Chinese used to ship bicycles to Taiwan and then reship from there to avoid anti-dumping tax, but I heard that our cusoms have got wise to that one.

There's no ADT on electric bikes - only non-electric ones.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
The Chinese used to ship bicycles to Taiwan and then reship from there to avoid anti-dumping tax, but I heard that our cusoms have got wise to that one.

There's no ADT on electric bikes - only non-electric ones.
Aha, I see. Do you know what the ADT rate is d8veh?

Something that costs £135 quid at Halfords is £30 in China. I'm not advocating buying but curious how the eBayers who are buying in are running a profit.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You need to know the correct commodity codes to be sure. In general, there is zero duty on Chinese electronics, Chinese Lithium ion batteries attract 10% duty, 48.5% on the mechanical bikes (at the moment, should drop to 14%-15% in July 2018). Put these items together in an e-bike, the import duty on e-bikes is 6%. The low overall duty on e-bikes does not encourage UK assembly. Note: if you ship in bicycle parts, you avoid anti dumping duty but you must not ship the whole bike as CKD or SKD kits, they will be considered as bikes. In this kind of business, it pays to be big.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
You need to know the correct commodity codes to be sure. In general, there is zero duty on Chinese electronics, Chinese Lithium ion batteries attract 10% duty, 48.5% on the mechanical bikes (at the moment, should drop to 14%-15% in July 2018). Put these items together in an e-bike, the import duty on e-bikes is 6%. The low overall duty on e-bikes does not encourage UK assembly. Note: if you ship in bicycle parts, you avoid anti dumping duty but you must not ship the whole bike as CKD or SKD kits, they will be considered as bikes. In this kind of business, it pays to be big.
I read that one company stopped importing bikes from China but still imported the parts from various sources including China they moved their production to an EU Country but not the UK and did their own assembly, I'll try and find the article.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
Hi
Just to let you know I am the UK importer of Overfly.
I have yet to bring in the max drive models, but I would suggest an SRP in the region of 1500-1800 pounds is about right.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
www.tringmotion.co.uk?

Nice mark up on the EB006 ;-)
That exemplifies the difficulties that brexit puts the UK importers to. The Pound drops 22% against the US Dollar (from $1.49 to $1.22) and only 9% against the Euro (Eur 1.28 to Eur 1.17).
There is also the economic law of gravity. European made bikes are so much more competitive for bikes costing more than £1,500 in the shops. If you use the same markup, a Bosch equivalent of a Max Drive bike that you specified above would cost $1,000 FOB.
Chinese bikes have no chance to compete at this level.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I agree Tony, I was looking at the European Sales figures Electric and Pedal, big, big numbers and such a competitive marketplace.
https://cyclingindustry.news/european-market-report-key-trends-production-source-changes-and-call-for-reshoring/
I remember in an earlier conversation with Oxygen who told me he has to push his £1,200 hub bike to £1,400, nicely put together bikes value at 1200 but for me 1400 ott, not blaming him though.

It will be interesting to see how the market pans out post-brexit but my money is still on a 1year old £800 bike @ £300 second hand coupled with back hub 8fun motor .

You have a smart lady at the helm of Woosh coupled with a knowledgeable proactive team.

As in any financial shake-up the fittest always survive.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
www.tringmotion.co.uk?

Nice mark up on the EB006 ;-)
Well for starters I upgrade the bike from standard specifications so they cost more trade
I upgraded -
Bottom brackets, drive train, derailleur, shifters and lighting.
Also when you take operating costs, cash flow, lead times, warranty administration,currency exchange rates, shipping cost and taxes into account you will find that the raw trade prices are just a fraction of the cost of retailing a bike. Interestingly Raleigh's SRP of the bike with the same frame, but a lower specification is about 1300.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Well for starters I upgrade the bike from standard specifications so they cost more trade
I upgraded -
Bottom brackets, drive train, derailleur, shifters and lighting.
Also when you take operating costs, cash flow, lead times, warranty administration,currency exchange rates, shipping cost and taxes into account you will find that the raw trade prices are just a fraction of the cost of retailing a bike. Interestingly Raleigh's SRP of the bike with the same frame, but a lower specification is about 1300.

Agree 100%, I didn't notice the upgrades you made till after the post.

Also as I've already mentioned there has to be a value on dealing locally with a level of support.

Merry Xmas and with Brexit hopefully TM will do a trade deal with China and you will have a very prosperous New Year.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
People deal with people that is very true. I have sold to a few people who have been burnt on the Web too.
Brexit is a double edged sword. It will reduce the grey import product that is under cutting the UK supply chain. The issue is regulatory requirements. Will we stay in sync with the EN standards or will we add cost by reintroducing BS? Will we have to separately test products to gain approval for the UK market or will whole of Europe testing be accepted?
The vote alone has cost me an additional 8%, UK suppliers have increased prices between 10-17%
In essence the cost of living will rise through insulation from competition and internal regulations changes. I can't say honestly how I will be affected economically.
Merry Christmas to you as well.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
People deal with people that is very true. I have sold to a few people who have been burnt on the Web too.
Brexit is a double edged sword. It will reduce the grey import product that is under cutting the UK supply chain. The issue is regulatory requirements. Will we stay in sync with the EN standards or will we add cost by reintroducing BS? Will we have to separately test products to gain approval for the UK market or will whole of Europe testing be accepted?
The vote alone has cost me an additional 8%, UK suppliers have increased prices between 10-17%
In essence the cost of living will rise through insulation from competition and internal regulations changes. I can't say honestly how I will be affected economically.
Merry Christmas to you as well.

EN vs BS is an interesting point, only time will tell.

I'm sure you will weather the storm and thanks for the reply.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If we're going to have initials all over the place I can see nothing but trouble.