Choice of e-bike kit for cargo bike

haddock

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2020
Hello out there.
Earlier this year I fitted a Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid motor on my old Nihola Cargo bike, which was not without problems.

Thread about the old bike here:

However the bike is now sold, and I have bought another old Nihola which is going to converted into an e-cargo bike along with a complete restoration.

So I want to hear which motor I should fit on this bike, since I do not have any experience other than the Tongsheng .

The bike is now fitted with a 7-speed SRAM rear wheel with internal gears.
I have another rear wheel with external 9-speed and a Deore rear derailleur as a spare.

What are your recommendations? Rear hub motor or mid motor?
My goal is to sell the bike, so price is a important factor along with it should be road leagal in Denmark (max 250w).

Attachments

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

haddock

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2020
Thanks. I will have a look at it. Is there any differences between the two sets?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, there are but only small differences in the motors.
The batteries and controllers are the same to both motors.
The SWX02 has threads for screw-on freewheels, the DWG22C has freehub body for cassettes.
If you are going to use your 9-speed Deore derailleur, you should consider the DWG22C. It will be just a drop in job, you don't need any spacer for your cassette.
One more thing, the DWG22C has 165mm diameter, if you have disc brakes, you will need a 180mm rotor or larger.
About the battery:
Both 48V 12AH and 48V 15AH are made with Samsung cells. The rack battery comes with its own rack. Both are lockable and delivered with two keys. You don't need the keys to ride the bike/trike, only to remove the battery from its cradle.
The 48V 12AH gives about 50 miles on an ordinary bike, on your cargo bike, probably less, maybe 40 miles. The 48V 15AH battery gives about 65 miles on an ordinary bike, on the cargo, may be 50 miles.

Reactions: haddock