choices, choices, choices!

JacquiK

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all, I'm a new member but have been peeping at this forum since I have been looking at buying an e-bike. Only been researching options for a few weeks and couldn't find much information in ordinary bike magazines.I live in Kent and through the summer I usually cycle to work but we have just had a major refit at work and they have taken away the shower I used to be able to jump in when I got there all hot and sweaty!

So, looking for a bike that can get me to work non-sweaty and then I don't mind putting a bit more effort in on the way home. To complicate matters a little we are relocating to Portugal in a couple of years and already have a holiday home there half way up a mountain in a very hilly area. I want a bike that still looks like a bike and that I still get to pedal but that will take the sting out of hills and the sweat out of my journey of about 9 miles each way to work. Also, feel I should mention that i'm only 5ft 2 1/2 ins so I have always found a lot of frames too large even on normal bikes.

Any suggestions you lovely, helpful people? Have looked at Whisper, Kalkoff Agattu and a Tonaro compy, they seem to differ wildly in price and I haven't worked out where the nearest place is to test drive! This site seems to be one of the few places for advice about e-bikes except for the AtoB magazine site and I wasn't sure how up to date that was? Any helpful tips or pointers would be most appreciated as i'm a complete e-bike novice.:confused:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi all, I'm a new member but have been peeping at this forum since I have been looking at buying an e-bike. Only been researching options for a few weeks and couldn't find much information in ordinary bike magazines.I live in Kent and through the summer I usually cycle to work but we have just had a major refit at work and they have taken away the shower I used to be able to jump in when I got there all hot and sweaty!

So, looking for a bike that can get me to work non-sweaty and then I don't mind putting a bit more effort in on the way home. To complicate matters a little we are relocating to Portugal in a couple of years and already have a holiday home there half way up a mountain in a very hilly area. I want a bike that still looks like a bike and that I still get to pedal but that will take the sting out of hills and the sweat out of my journey of about 9 miles each way to work. Also, feel I should mention that i'm only 5ft 2 1/2 ins so I have always found a lot of frames too large even on normal bikes.

Any suggestions you lovely, helpful people? Have looked at Whisper, Kalkoff Agattu and a Tonaro compy, they seem to differ wildly in price and I haven't worked out where the nearest place is to test drive! This site seems to be one of the few places for advice about e-bikes except for the AtoB magazine site and I wasn't sure how up to date that was? Any helpful tips or pointers would be most appreciated as i'm a complete e-bike novice.:confused:
Hi welcome to the forum! It sounds like a smaller folding bike might be worth considering for you, being shorter, and someone who travels around a bit.. folding bikes with their smaller 20" wheels are also better hill climbers I've heard..plus you have the added bonus they can be taken on trains and planes as luggage, or stowed away in the back of the car etc..

Brompton are highly regarded for being among the lightest and best folders, they are bringing out an electric model later this year if they haven't already...Electic Wheels Company also sell Brompton conversions.. Wisper of course do some nice folders, then at the budget end of the market there's Sunlova who do a reasonable folder for £550..

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Jacqui
You could also have a peep at Electric Bike Magazine which has reviews of bikes for this season.
Latest issue is just out and free for on-line viewing. Not yet in paper form though.

Portugal... I could deliver a bike there for you... in person....

I'd suggest looking for a Beba registered manufacturer as a benchmark of service and quality.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We have a Tonaro bike, a Kalkhoff Agattu (smallest frame option) and an Oxygen Emate City at our shop in Richmond, which covers all the bases. A great test riding route runs right by the shop, all the way to Richmond Park or along the Thames.

JacquiK

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Not quite that short I think:D but the picture made my children laugh imagining me on it.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Folder

Look at a Batribike Quartz Folder Jacqui . I bought the lower powered SE model last September and am very pleased with it . If you google Batribike they have an Agent at Sandwich , Kent .

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Being shorter :rolleyes:

I don't find short people jokes funny ...and I'm sure I speak for all short Pedelec members:D (Yes, I'm joking. Couldn't resist. See the 'Dogs' thread)

Seriously I wouldn't waste too much time trying to find the perfect bike Jacquik. As long as it fits you and is a known make there probably isn't any absolute right or wrong choice. Take the plunge. You will enjoy it whatever it is.