Choices, Choices!!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Retail, go see woosh in Southend, where they have the Gallego, not Cambridge. I don't know what problem d8veh found when he tried it. The only problem I found with the Gallego is speed. Maximum speed is around 13-14 miles while all the other bigger wheeled bikes are faster. I took the Gallego up Piers hill OK, only a little pedalling near the top. One particular feature of the controller on the Gallego is that its throttle is only active after you rotate the pedal for half of one revolution. Honestly, folding is not a problem, once Andy @ woosh shows you how it's done. Flick and kick, and the bike is folded. Only when you want to put the bike in its carrying bag that you have to remove the seat post.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The most comfortable bike I have ridden is the Birdy. Mine has 24 ratio's in the gears, capable of getting you anywhere. Not as good folding as the Brompton but certainly worth a look. Think about it, how much time riding, how much folding? Light enough to carry, electric bikes are not so easy to handle, depends how strong you are.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
DahonJifo 2014, we have one, its not electric....yet, but it suits the bill perfectly, light (9.4kg), cheaper (RRP £300) then a Brompton and folds very quickly and very easy to carry. I'm all 105kg of muscle and 6.2ft and can ride easily this bike over 1-2miles.

Last edited:

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
You know what Retail I'll lend you the bike to do the journey on, you're in London and so am I, dont know until you try, right? The shop is closed on Tuesdays but call me on my mobile 07841 412 199 and we can arrange a hand over of the bike.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There you go Retail an offer you can't refuse !!!

Reactions: flecc and LEBC Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks to the posters who told me to go non electric for using language softer than "pedal you lazy @@@@"!
My thinking was that an unpowered good folder of your own would be better to pedal than a very heavy Boris bike, but if cycling your own bike to the station as you now say, that suggestion doesn't really apply.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Jive,crowd funded project looks very good,but all the images are graphics no prototype ,bit of a worry whether it will ever be built and if it does will it perform as the designer suggests.
One that I really like is the Stigo but it is a moped,no pedals,but the fold is impressive,folded its like a golf trolley. Perhaps someone could advise on the implications of moped classification.
There are literally dozens of these small commuter style e-bikes at the Shanghai show,they all have their pros n cons. To be honest I haven't found one that is light,easy fold,easy move,powerful.....some get one element right at the expense of others. If that Stigo could have some pedals and drive that would make it into an EN15194 spec pedelec that would be good.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
KD, in case you haven't noticed, the Gallego has EN15194 certificate and built not far from where you get your bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry to resurrect this older thread but I was away for a couple of days.

As I find the Gallego very easy to fold, I thought a short video would be helpful to show you how. It literally takes 2 seconds to fold and 2 to unfold.
Hatti.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Sorry to resurrect this older thread but I was away for a couple of days.

As I find the Gallego very easy to fold, I thought a short video would be helpful to show you how. It literally takes 2 seconds to fold and 2 to unfold.
Hatti.
Apologies if i'm missing something,but to me that looked like both much more than 2 secs,and quite a major karfufle compared to a Brompton?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
There are a few differences in the folding compared to a Brompton. The Brompton does not have a latch for the rear wheel. You could say it's an advantage, you can pull the bike upwards and it will fold, or you can say it's a disadvantage, when you wheel a semi-folded Brompton about, the rear wheel is still in contact with the ground. On the Gallego, the rear wheel is lifted about 1 inch when semi-folded - only the rack wheels and the front wheel are in contact with the ground. You can lift elegantly a semi-folded Gallego, the rear wheel stays latched, not a semi-folded Brompton.
The Brompton has a front wheel latch, making the fold very tidy and elegant. The Gallego does not fold as compactly as the Brompton.
This said, Hatti could have pushed the seat post down like on the Brompton and not taken it out, that could have saved her a few seconds.

Reactions: selrahc1992

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This said, Hatti could have pushed the seat post down like on the Brompton and not taken it out, that could have saved her a few seconds.
Yes, that's what I would do, in part to avoid a loose component.

The Brompton isn't an entirely fair comparison anyway, the Gallego is an e-bike.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
There are a few differences in the folding compared to a Brompton. The Brompton does not have a latch for the rear wheel. You could say it's an advantage, you can pull the bike upwards and it will fold, or you can say it's a disadvantage, when you wheel a semi-folded Brompton about, the rear wheel is still in contact with the ground. On the Gallego, the rear wheel is lifted about 1 inch when semi-folded - only the rack wheels and the front wheel are in contact with the ground. You can lift elegantly a semi-folded Gallego, the rear wheel stays latched, not a semi-folded Brompton.
The Brompton has a front wheel latch, making the fold very tidy and elegant. The Gallego does not fold as compactly as the Brompton.

Thanks,very helpful, often wonder why brompton fold that seems so simple hasn't been copied (much as copyright infringement is wrong)

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
There are a few differences in the folding compared to a Brompton. The Brompton does not have a latch for the rear wheel. You could say it's an advantage, you can pull the bike upwards and it will fold, or you can say it's a disadvantage, when you wheel a semi-folded Brompton about, the rear wheel is still in contact with the ground.

Of course if you think this is a bad feature of Brompton's you can buy a gizmo to change it. Here is one http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompton-folding-detail/340-brompton-rear-frame-clip-retrokit-5053099040179.html

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that gizmo only keeps the rear wheel of the Brompton latched when unfolded, not when it's folded. The rear wheel latch on the Gallego has dual purpose, keeps the rear wheel latched when unfolded and latched when folded.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the problem with pushing and pulling a bike is the rear wheel being directional. It rolls freely only one way. The rack wheels do not have problem with direction. When you push or pull a folded bike, you don't want the rear wheel to be in contact with the ground. You need to raise the rear wheel off the ground and latch it off the ground, leaving only the non-directional rack wheels in contact with the ground. The Gallego rear latch does that when the rear wheel is folded, the gizmo does not.