Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I'm posting because my symptoms are similar (clacking sound and big vibration through the pedals when applying a lot of pressure, like when pulling away from traffic lights).
I had the same symptoms when the first motor failed: I could feel some new vibrations through the pedals (as well as an increasing "clacking" noise).

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
If only Kalkhoff would have carried on with the bulletproof panasonic mid-motor and not opted to produce their own impulse motor out of greed and profit there would be none of these problems.
I covered 37,000 km on one panasonic mid drive motor in two years and only had to maintain the chainring and motor sprocket,no noises and no loss of power ever.

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
A load of pensioners complaining! I have pushed my bike hard for high milage with no problems. Enjoy your bike and don't worry. I was leaving this site but had messages of support to stay. Don't let them put you off. They clack in their sleep as well. I am on a 40 mile ride this weekend. If I clack it will be the curry I had the night before. Why would I get get messages of support? 400,000 + sold 20 complain. Get over it it is a bike not a spacecraft.........

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20 complain. Get over it it is a bike not a spacecraft.

nasa scrapped that as it kept falling from the sky in bits ;)

also 20 ppls bikes @3k each come to 60k worth of sales.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
A load of pensioners complaining! I have pushed my bike hard for high milage with no problems. Enjoy your bike and don't worry. I was leaving this site but had messages of support to stay. Don't let them put you off. They clack in their sleep as well. I am on a 40 mile ride this weekend. If I clack it will be the curry I had the night before. Why would I get get messages of support? 400,000 + sold 20 complain. Get over it it is a bike not a spacecraft.........
Thought i told you to be quiet boy....

• Dislike
Reactions: robdon

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
400,000 + sold 20 complain. Get over it it is a bike not a spacecraft.........
Where do you get your stats from?

Maybe Kalkhoff have sold 400,000 electric bikes in all countries (including many Impulse 1 models), but I am not sure where you get the 20 complaints from? Is it based on this UK forum only?

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
let him try sell it in Germany ;)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
Where do you get your stats from?

Maybe Kalkhoff have sold 400,000 electric bikes in all countries (including many Impulse 1 models), but I am not sure where you get the 20 complaints from? Is it based on this UK forum only?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i doubt it pmsl the fail rate of the impulse 2 is over 90% why they now have the new motor.

time will tell if thats any good but they have not done them self any favours other than to pee ppl off.

some have got 8000km b4 it fails and some a few hundred.

you are just lucky so far

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016
You are all too negative. I have owned many electric bikes, many which have failed. If you do have a problem try being polite about it, as compared to many types of transport they are cheap. You on here are too narrow minded. Let's be nice to 50's cycles then when on the rare occasion one has a problem, they will help. Slagging them off has not helped. I for one are very happy with them. 50's cycles I salute you for dignity while under fire from a few on here.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not once has 50 cycles been on this forum to post a reply about it other than a software fix for a design flaw in the motor. and thats not going to fix it as its hardware that has failed.

and tbh its nothing to do with them its derby cycles that makes them and should upgrade all to the new evo motor than just replace the impulse 2 motor as 9 times out of 10 will get the same problem fact and proven not just on this forum.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
You are all too negative. I have owned many electric bikes, many which have failed. If you do have a problem try being polite about it, as compared to many types of transport they are cheap. You on here are too narrow minded. Let's be nice to 50's cycles then when on the rare occasion one has a problem, they will help. Slagging them off has not helped. I for one are very happy with them. 50's cycles I salute you for dignity while under fire from a few on here.
You,ve owned many electfic bikes that have failed.??..they must see you coming...you really must be as idiotic as you sound.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
My conclusion on this issue is as follow:

• Some people may never experience the motor issue, if they cycle short distances, on a flat road/path, and therefore not straining the motor
  • Once the motor starts making a clicking noise, then it's probably too late to apply a software update, as some mechanical parts may already be damaged
  • I am assuming the typical case of failure is when the motor is in maximum assistance (maximum torque), so top level assistance, and maximum input from the user
  • People who don't have the clicking issue should try to get the software update, as a preventive measure
Anyway, I am pleased to report that my issue with the bike and 50 Cycles has now been resolved (just before submitting the case to a court hearing), in a completely satisfactory manner.

It probably took a bit longer than I would have ideally liked, and a bit more pressure than expected (including actually having to start the legal process), but they did the right thing eventually.

Last edited:

Roger R

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2015

• Some people may never experience the motor issue, if they cycle short distances, on a flat road/path, and therefore not straining the motor
  • Once the motor starts making a clicking noise, then it's probably too late to apply a software update, as some mechanical parts may already be damaged
  • I am assuming the typical case of failure is when the motor is in maximum assistance (maximum torque), so top level assistance, and maximum input from the user
  • People who don't have the clicking issue should try to get the software update, as a preventive measure
Anyway, I am happy to report that my issue with the bike and 50 Cycles has now been resolved (just before submitting the case to a court hearing), in a satisfactory manner.

It probably took longer than I would have expected, and a bit more escalations than hoped, but they did the right thing eventually.
What was the resolution Tom?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Nigel
Coming onto the forum disguised as a cyclist when perhaps you're a 50 cycles employee to troll threads is rather immature. You can make any point without having to resort to abuse.

• Agree
Reactions: LEBC Tom and flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If your bike breaks it's not much comfort that 400,000 others are still going.

No doubt if Nigel gets burgled he won't be bothered about it when he finds out the other 50 houses in his street weren't broken into.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015

Anyway, I am pleased to report that my issue with the bike and 50 Cycles has now been resolved (just before submitting the case to a court hearing), in a completely satisfactory manner.

It probably took a bit longer than I would have ideally liked, and a bit more pressure than expected (including actually having to start the legal process), but they did the right thing eventually.
If you don't mind me asking, what resolution was offered?

Status
Not open for further replies.